Can you draw Astro

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Guest@Apr 18 2005, 12:36 PM

... A really quick work. I need to practice drawing more. ^^;

Just keep drawing, everyone! As they say, practice makes better! B)

That's cute, keep it up. :lol:

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 19 years ago

That is cute, very Chibi.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Breakman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Breakman » 19 years ago

It would have helped if I logged in first before posting my picture. B/

Thanks for nice comments, you guys. B)

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

That looks quite stylised. Reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Keep up the good work everyone!

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever@Apr 17 2005, 11:38 PM
I think you should try again! ;) Just don't try to keep going if you have a bad start, make corrections on your lines before and you should be alright. Go go go fafner! :wahah:

It's hopeless... I keep wasting paper (hopefully already used paper). The drawings always end up inhumanly distorded :o I should stop slaughtering Astro like that, it's a real sin <_<
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

adrian _68
Robot President

Postby adrian _68 » 19 years ago

Even from here I can hear adrian_67 laughing about my try of drawing Astro.

I would not do that! :D
For a first attempt your drawing is neat. You would be the one laughing if you saw my first Astro drawing. :P It really sucks.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Originally posted by fafner@Apr 19 2005, 02:08 AM
It's hopeless... I keep wasting paper (hopefully already used paper). The drawings always end up inhumanly distorded :o I should stop slaughtering Astro like that, it's a real sin <_<

There are techniques to drawing Astro. You have to break down his components and do a bit at a time, and use guidelines to line things up.
Try starting with the instructions here. That's what I did and mine came out looking like it was drawn by someone else! I haven't tried drawing him from a different angle yet. :unsure:

Draw all your lines lightly. Go over them heavier when you're finished and happy with the shape.
Look at each part of the lines you're drawing. If it's a straight line, watch the angle closely. It's easy to draw lines at the wrong angle when it's close to other lines.
With curves, start by imagining where the finished curve will be. Don't just start drawing and hope it ends up going in the right direction. Imagine it, then trace that mental image onto the paper. Check the ends to see if they should curve slighly sharper (like the lower sides of his eyes or the top of his sideburns) or if the curves should blend out into another line (like the left side of his mouth or his hair spikes).
Watch for distances between lines, like his eyebrows and eyes. This is where I messed up on his chin - I didn't watch properly for the distance between his cheek line and the initial circle for his head.
Adjust for perspective if it doesn't look right. Your mind will automatically correct some perspective you see, so it can be hard to pick if, for example, his widow's peak is right. I thought I drew it nice and even the first time, but it didn't feel right. I rubbed it out and made the left side narrower and the right side wider and it looked good. And I thought I was going too far with it.

I read a painter's blog a while ago and he only did six paintings in six years, yet each one was a drastic improvement. He wasn't practicing, he spent his time observing. This is where technique comes in.
If you practice practice practice but don't have a good technique, you're only getting practice at drawing with a bad technique.
By copying Shinji Seya's example, we can duplicate his technique and learn how to draw Astro properly. Once our method follows the basic rules of proportion, perspective, etc. then we can practice that method and be good at it every time.
When Michael Jackson developed his dance moves, he practiced them in front of a mirror hundreds of times over. So when he came to perform them it all felt completely natural. That's practice. But when he started, would have had to do it slowly and try different things until he found the right moves to practice. That's technique.

Anyway, these are just the ramblings of an amateur who has only done one drawing of Astro! :D
However, I don't intend drawing him again until I've solidified in my mind what needs improvement. Otherwise I'll just be practicing my mistakes.

Good luck!

(BTW, I did a course in Technical Graphics at high school. We learnt stuff like how to draw a perfect freehand circle, so that might be helping me. I can give some tips if you like.)

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 19 years ago

I need more coffee. And imagine trying to draw in a space 6 feet long by 3 feet wide by 2.5 feet tall.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

Originally posted by dannavy85@Apr 19 2005, 01:55 PM

I need more coffee. And imagine trying to draw in a space 6 feet long by 3 feet wide by 2.5 feet tall.

:lol: Thanks for the baseball pic.

Kato
Kokoro Robot

Postby Kato » 19 years ago

I think i drew Astro Boy pretty good using the directions. The only thing is i don't know how to post the picture here. :cry:
If someone tells me then that would greatfully be apreciated and then i would be able to post it.

Return to “Fan Creations”