Can you draw Astro

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Kato@Apr 25 2005, 09:45 AM
I think i drew Astro Boy pretty good using the directions. The only thing is i don't know how to post the picture here. :cry:
If someone tells me then that would greatfully be apreciated and then i would be able to post it.

You can post an image by linking to it, like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.dom.com/img.gif[/img]

But change the address so it points to your image. Your ISP might give you 5 or 10 MB of personal web space for this, or you could try a free image hosting site like Photo Bucket.

Here is my second attempt:
I am soooo pleased with this one! I followed the excellent instructions in Let's Draw Manga: Astroboy and I inked it when I was done. The lines are a bit shakey but I think that'll improve with my confidence.
Next I'm going to try without instructions, so my third attempt might be a little worse! :D

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

I had a go at drawing his body, it's really difficult. :huh:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Here are my latest attempts:

Top left is my first attempt at drawing without any references. Not too bad, but the front-on angle is pretty easy. The next one down is my first profile attempt. The last one is an angled shot using a still frame from the 80s anime as a reference. That one came out pretty good.

My first attempt at Astro's body, and it's SO DIFFICULT! The proportions felt all wrong and counter-intuitive when I was drawing it.
The next one is my first attempt at a flying angled shot and colour. The angle isn't consistant along his body, and his hands are way too small (another hard thing to draw). The colour sucks. Next time I'll use the computer rather than textas.

My first attempt at another character. I used Let's Draw Manga for the reference picture. His body is really easy to draw. His hair is difficult. It's hard to draw the wavy curves in a relaxed, flowing style.

I used the Dark Horse manga to reference both pictures. I think the Boy Atlas would have showed better perspective if I'd drawn a neck. Dr Boynton was really easy to draw. His hair is more forgiving than Dr Elefun's. :) It's the manga style though, the 80s anime style gives him different eyes and I think a different tie.

Hopefully I'm improving!

Dannavy85, the Let's Draw Manga book has a picture of Astro playing baseball on page 117. B)

tic_tac_astro
Robot President

Postby tic_tac_astro » 19 years ago

I'll try to draw him, but since the scanner isn't hooked up, I won't be able to show my best work.
So, I'll try to make him on the Artboards, and send it from there. :D

Thank you, you're too kind.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

I don't have a scanner so I've been using a digital camera. It's only 2 megapixels but it seems to come out alright.

Breakman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Breakman » 19 years ago

Wow, that's great DrFrag! You draw both doctors very well. ^_^

tic_tac_astro
Robot President

Postby tic_tac_astro » 19 years ago

Well, that works too... :P
Never thought about that.
I'll try to do that until my father can let me use it...

Thank you, you're too kind.

adrian _68
Robot President

Postby adrian _68 » 19 years ago

Hey Dr. Frag! You're a fast learner! Your drawings are improving so much. Keep up the good work. The angled shot with the shading's the best! :D :D

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 19 years ago

DrFrag, you are very good! :) I'll make a second attempt this weekend.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Thanks!

I've noticed the way I look at lines and characters has changed. When I look at a manga character now I think of it more in 3D. When I draw it, it seems easier to project the 3D character onto flat paper.
Also, I find myself looking at characters as a collection of basic shapes. I know they teach that in drawing, but I never paid attention to it (it never worked for me so I thought it was a bit crap). Now I do it subconsciously.
I want to try some things with background and perspective so I can at least make a basic doujin.
I've found http://www.mangatutorials.com interesting, although not totally suited to my style.

Return to “Fan Creations”