The Life & Death of The Mighty Atom

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

The Life & Death of The Mighty Atom

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

Ladies and 'gents, I'd like to introduce my latest piece of crud.

My own silent comic retelling of Astro Boy, which I entitle The Life & Death of The Mighty Atom.

(Crystalbear is the name I go by on Smackjeeves, and Karen is not my real name, just a pen name I would like to go by.)

By no means, the art in this doesn't look as good as the cover page... Actually some of my other art looks better than this. While I tried to make this art very good as much as I could, there's still a great many a flaw. I'm particularly not fond of how I drew Tenma whatsoever, nor am I happy on some of the backgrounds, among other things.

To be completely honest, I'm even somewhat embarrassed to even show this, especially to other Tezuka fans. So by all means, if you're looking for good art, pick up one of Tezuka's books at your local book store today, or from your shelves. But ahem, moving on.

This thing actually took me forever to do, and I started sometime in either late October or early November. It would have been finished sooner if something more important hadn't popped up, making me drop everything in the process. I also realized that one of the pages was very awkward so I had to redraw it, and even then it still does not make much sense. But as of today, I've got some of the pages up.

I was actually making four pages, two of the pages are now up and the other two will be posted over the weeks. This comic is only going to be a short one-shot with at least 15 pages planned. Each page unfortunately takes me a very long while to do, so updates will probably have to be random. If anyone would like, I could also post here whenever there is an update.

Finally, this isn't meant to replace Tezuka's own Atom, not at all by any means. Rather this is my own telling of events, set in a somewhat different way and tone, and is also meant to hopefully expand interest in Tezuka to more people.

Right, link is below if you would like to read.

http://lifeanddeathmightyatom.smackjeeves.com/
Last edited by Dr. Jerk on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Rabbit
Beyond the Stars

Postby Black Rabbit » 13 years ago

Nice doujin. :3 The art looks fine, and the eye colors look very pretty! What program do you use? Or do you draw them traditionally? I added it to my favorites. (I'm Drifting_Flower on Smack Jeeves).
... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ... ...
bloop
... ... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ... ...
... ... ... ...

AprilSeven
Silent Song

This is REALLY GOOD!!!!!

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

I definitely want to know when you've added to the story. I won't give it away -- I want others to be surprised too (left a comment over on the other site). Dr. Jerk, you are an EXCELLENT artist, and very inventive thinker - I like the way you used color (or not). WOW!!

MORE PLEASE!!!

You'll probably grow more comfortable with your interpretations of the characters as you go forward with the story, but I sincerely think you have an excellent start. You've NOTHING to be "embarrassed" about! THANK YOU for sharing!! :w00t:

Do you plan to integrate dialogue?
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Quoting from a reply I made on page 2.

Sketching was done (digitally) on Photoshop Elements 5 (or was it 6?), then inking was done on Photoshop 7. Finally, everything else is done on Photoshop Elements. It is very limited in comparison to 7, but I'm more comfortable with using it.

And thank you everyone. :) I'll definitely inform whenever there is an update then.

And I intend to keep the comic entirely silent. In fact, that's kinda why I had great difficulty with page 2 until I thought of the idea of putting the Phoenix in there for Tenma's inspiration. I also sometimes enjoy silent films and comics more than those with dialogue, especially since those seem to leave a stronger impression, at least to me.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

Is that Dr. Kawashimo in the lowest tier just over Tenma's left hand?

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

"jeffbert" wrote:Is that Dr. Kawashimo in the lowest tier just over Tenma's left hand?

Yes actually, nice spotting.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

I have learned to very carefully examine such scenes in both manga & anime, as these guys often are rather inconspicuous. I think I 1st began noticing when I by sheer chance paused JE Leo movie at a point where Atom's head was just barely visible in the audience. Someone else noted Uran was next to him. :lol:

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

"jeffbert" wrote:I have learned to very carefully examine such scenes in both manga & anime, as these guys often are rather inconspicuous. I think I 1st began noticing when I by sheer chance paused JE Leo movie at a point where Atom's head was just barely visible in the audience. Someone else noted Uran was next to him. :lol:

Hah. I try to observe things carefully and made several good spots myself, although sometimes I don't recognize certain characters and then miss them. But good thing to have.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 13 years ago

The art isn't so bad to me

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Page 3 was added just now.

http://lifeanddeathmightyatom.smackjeeves.com/comics/1089296/page-3/

I also forgot to mention that this comic will be a short one-shot, and that only 15 pages are planned. Despite the number of pages, this is still going to take me awhile to do.

Return to “Fan Creations”