Soon to be titled fanfiction.

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

Soon to be titled fanfiction.

Postby StargazerLili » 11 years ago

Fellow Astroboyonline forum goers, I need your help. I wrote this story here, but I can’t think of a good title for it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This’ll be up on Fanfiction.Net in a few days, but wanted to test it out here first.

Summary: Astro has been visiting Dr. Tenma’s old house after that walk in the rain. Doctor Ochanomizu advises that he doesn’t go back there for a while. Meanwhile Uran eavesdrops and wants to know what’s so special about this house. Rated PG.

(2003 based (set shortly after Astro vs. Atlas) Using the Japanese names (except Astro) because I like them better.)
"Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder."

Come and see me at:http://liliopsida.deviantart.com/

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

Part 1:

“Astro, it would probably be best to stay away from that place for a while.”

“But Doctor I-“

“Astro, listen to me. Tensions are still high right now and the last thing we need is someone getting the wrong idea of you being out after dark.”

“I’m sorry, I just lost track of time. I didn’t mean to.”

Of course he didn’t. They knew that in the long run that things wouldn’t always be this way. That one day people would be more accepting of robots. What they didn’t know was that right now, Uran was sitting at the top of the stairs, listening to the two of them.

Wrong idea?

She had heard them talking an awful lot about that house lately. It was probably the one Astro had pointed out to her once, maybe figuring that she wouldn’t remember where it was. When she tried to ask him more about it he only gave her a few vague answers until she stopped. Uran frowned at the unfairness of it all.

What’s so special about that house anyway? How come Astro won’t talk about it?

At this rate she’d fry a circuit. Her mind wouldn't rest with all these questions.

If he’s not gonna tell me, I’ll have to find out for myself!

That night Uran sat up in her bed. Those few hours of waiting had paid off. There was no more noise coming up from the living room. No more light falling under the cracks of her door. Everyone was asleep.

Uran quietly got out of bed and got dressed. She put her small flashlight and a map in her coat pockets, and tiptoed down the stairs until she got to the front door, pausing for a moment to make sure it had clicked quietly shut behind her.

Only when she had made it out to the street did she truly think about what she was doing. Out on the sidewalk she was alone; there were no cars, no people, no robots…nothing. The air was crisp and cold, and it was quiet, save for the occasional autumn leaf that fluttered down from the trees.

Walking alongside the road, she noticed that even the houses looked like they were asleep, and if the one she was looking for would look any different this time of night. But after three blocks, nothing looked familiar. She stood under a nearby streetlight to check the map she brought with her. According to it, if she turned onto the next street and kept following it east, up into the hills, she would come across it.

Uran made it up to the first hill without any problems until she got to the intersection. Even though there was no traffic, the light was on red. She briefly wondered if she should wait for the little green man, or if she should take a chance. She looked both ways, no one was coming, but she figured she was already taking a pretty big chance tonight, and that she probably shouldn’t risk it.

The rest of the walk felt like it had taken hours, even though Uran’s internal clock said it had only been about twenty minutes, twenty minutes and thirteen seconds to be exact.

I’ve got to be close by now!

Off of the main road she spotted the side street that looked kind of familiar. Out where she was, the streetlights gave the night a faint yellow glow, but where she was going there were no streetlights, and for the first time that night she realized how dark it really was. That didn't scare her though, her curiosity was much stronger.

Finally she found the house, if Astro knew she had come here he would have freaked out. Likely with the Doctor in tow, who would be demanding an explanation of what she was doing here of all places. At this time of night! She shone her flashlight up to walkway to see the paint chipped walls and the empty doorway.

This has to be it.

She was surprised to find the door unlocked and opened it with a big shove. It must have been able to move faster at some point, but the years of neglect had made the door wet and heavy. The house had been long abandoned and something felt…off.

The first room in front of her after the foyer was the living room, with a set of stairs leading to the second floor on one side, and a hallway on the other. Most of the surfaces were covered in a thin layer of dust. The tables, the chairs, even the picture frames. That is, the ones that weren't broken.

Uran frowned. What does he see in this place?

Slowly she headed towards the hallway, her small footsteps echoing off the empty walls. There she found a large picture frame face down on the floor. Uran was about to lift it up to look at it when suddenly she heard something, something faint. It was coming from the living room. It sounded like a heavy door opening and closing.

Astro? She froze. He must have followed her here! Now she was in a world of trouble. Uran ducked behind the wall and held her breath, leaning around the edge of the wall just enough to see the front door. Astro would surely find her in a nanosecond, if he hadn’t already.

There was another footstep, and then another. However, the moment she focused her ears to find out where they were coming from, they stopped. Uran figured that Astro must be in the middle of the room by now, so she stayed still. In the dark it was difficult to truly make out what she was seeing. If she was really seeing anything, because when she finally worked up the nerve and left her hiding place, she saw…

Nothing.

Uran cautiously took a few steps into the living room. “Astro?” She clicked her flashlight on and shone it around. A small movement from the far end caught the corner of her eye.

“Astro, this isn’t funny!” She turned and took a step backward.

Just then her foot hit something that made her jump and drop the flashlight. It rolled along the floor and then came to a stop, its light shining on the face of a robot. Uran crouched down for a better look at it.

Her eyes went wide; it looked just like Nora, no, it was Nora! How could that be? Nora was still at home, powered down for the night. But this Nora was covered in a layer of dust and spider webs.

“Astro?!” She couldn’t stay here any longer. “Ok! You found me!” She picked up the flashlight and clicked it off. “You found me! I’m not playing this game!” She held it to her chest and for a moment she thought she might cry.

Uran swore she would never eavesdrop again; all she wanted to do was get out of this place, run home, sneak in, and pretend this never happened.

“Astro….just say something.” she whispered.

The door was in front of her, in a few seconds this place would be a memory.

“Wait.”

Uran froze. That voice!

“ Don’t go...”

That voice, it sounded so much like Astro’s, but something about it sounded sadder, emptier, more fragile. Slowly she turned around.

“Who are you?”

“I…I’m Uran, what’s your name?”

“Tobio.”

To be continued? ;)

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

Whoa . . . is it a Tobio ghost? or . . . :o hmy:

This is a great beginning, so I hope you continue! As for a name . . . hard to say . . . because I don't know where it leads from here . . .

Right now it sounds like Uran is on a "search for the past" or something . . . :ninja:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

Whoa . . . is it a Tobio ghost? or . . . :o hmy:

sshhhh...don't tell anyone...I'm kidding.

Yeah, Tobio is a ghost in this. It came from when I watched the Astro vs. Atlas episode (2003 series) when Astro follows a transparent image of Tobio in the rain back to his/their(?) old house. It was probably a way to show that old memories were surfacing, but to me it looked like a ghost.

The next part will be up soon!

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

Part 2

(Sorry that took a lot longer than expected. Work/College/Real Life got in the way :d oh :)

“T-Tobio?”

Her mind raced. Her metal heart raced. She had to be hearing things.

A small draft that was running through the room played with the ends of the curtains. Unconsciously, her grip tightened on the flashlight.

Her internal clock told her that it was nearly three in the morning. She started to wonder what she was really doing there when she heard a small noise. It almost sounded like someone saying something again. Uran tried to zone in on the frequency with the sensitive modulators in her ears, but instead of words she found a strange crackling sound.

Something rustled on the floor near her. She glanced over her shoulder, turning her head so slowly that she could almost hear the joints in her neck click, the crackling grew louder.

And closer.

Then she saw it. It was looking right at her, circular eyes reflecting the small amounts of light that had managed to crawl into the room. Slowly it was coming closer, it was…

A mouse?

“Hey little guy.” Uran said softly to the little mouse that was sniffing around on the floor. “Were you the one making that noise?”

She took a few steps its direction and crouched down. The mouse looked up at her, continuing to sniff the air. After a moment she heard another sound.

Music.

Faint, a faint repeating melody that she hadn't noticed before. It too was scratchy, like the needle of a radio stuck between two channels. But it didn’t sound scary, or even sad. Instead it sounded…happy, in a weird sort of way. This made Uran more curious, but the same could not be said for the mouse who had also heard it .With a squeak, the poor thing bolted back into a hole in the wall.

Maybe, just maybe, Uran wasn't alone. “Where are you?”

The music stopped and she heard that faint crackling again. “Over here.”

Once again she tried to zone in on its location, but the distorted crackle faded away, as if the voice had dissolved into static.

Maybe she did have a fried circuit. The house was now quiet, save for the light rustling of the curtains in the draft. Which were getting a little annoying. She held one of the curtains still by clutching it in her fist, then carefully letting go, but within seconds the draft had picked it up again.

Uran clicked the flashlight back on. The shadows cast by the abandoned furniture formed a jagged pattern on the walls as the light glided over them. But one of them looked different; maybe it was the way it was detached from the others. Maybe it was the way it seemed to move on its own.

“Hey, wait!”

She followed the shadow until she got to the bottom of the stairs. On the stairs she thought she saw him, with his knees drawn up to his chest and his head resting on his arms. Even with her flashlight’s beam directly on it, it was tough to make out any discernible features.

The static sound got louder, then as suddenly as it had started, it stopped. The voice was much clearer this time.

“…I’m sorry if I scared you…”

As if on cue, the charge in her flashlight ran out. But strangely, when the light was off she could get a better look at him. He was close to transparent. His empty eyes were so bright they almost looked like stars, but there was no life in them. She was the one with the questions. But the way he was looking at her seemed to go on and on, like he was looking to her for answers.

“Tobio?” Uran decided to cut to the chase. “Are you the one he keeps coming to see?”

“Huh?”

“Astro, he’s my brother. He comes here a lot.”

“Astro…” he repeated, as if testing out the name. “He does...but it’s not to see me.”

“It’s not?”

His voice started to crackle again. “...I don’t think he can see me like you can.”

With a blink, Uran realized he had reappeared at the bottom of the stairs a few feet away, drifting along near her like a little cloud.

“I was kinda surprised you could see me at all.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

When she had left her house that night to set out on this little adventure, she didn’t expect something like this to happen. Moments before she had wanted to run, to leave and forget this old house, but now things were different. As much as she was startled, deep down she had a feeling that whatever, or whoever this “Tobio” was wasn’t bad. Not at all.

“What do you do when he’s here?”

Tobio shrugged. “Watch him mostly.”

Well if that’s what happened. “What does Astro do when he’s here?”

Tobio thought back to a few days ago…

(stay tuned for part 3)

the 鉄腕アトム fan
Beyond the Stars

Postby the 鉄腕アトム fan » 11 years ago

I really liked the way you explored the idea of Tobio being a ghost a surviving as a ghost for so long, then been able to watch Atom/Astro when he goes to Tobio's house. And also been able to comminuate with Uran. I love your writing style and I can't wait to read more. But I wonder what's making the ghost of Tobio not 'pass on' onto his next life or into heaven? Wonder what 'regrets' Tobio holds within him. :astro: :astro: I love this! :astro:

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

OMG, what an original idea. I like how this has started out, you need to 'polish' it up and get it on Fanfiction.net. (by polish, I mean formated suitable for the site).

I'd like to make a suggestion here. We now seem to have quite a few good fan fiction authors and many more potential ones. I'd like to see everyone who is even THINKING about writing anything to join fanfiction.net. You can use the same names you use here as your 'nom-de-plume' there (if it isn't already taken by someone else). Even if you NEVER write anything, you can still be a member there, so you can leave non-anonymous reviews.

Which leads me to a quote by Oscar Wilde:
"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

In other words, those of us that post stories up there REALLY LIKE to know that others are reading them. As Oscar implied, we'd rather hear some critical comments on what people DIDN'T like, than to hear NOTHING.

I'd also like to have a link on this website to point to the fanfiction Anime/astroboy search link, so it would be easy to go look for the latest stories posted there. (Web master?) I've been posting a link here every time I've updated something, but we could have a permanent link here to the latest up there. Mind you I have nothing against posting fan creations here, but the fanfiction site is just easier to read due to the way it's set up. (for one thing we seem to have a limit on length of post, which I'm probably about to exceed right now.....)
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

you need to 'polish' it up and get it on Fanfiction.net.

I plan to! The reason I put it here first is because I wanted to see how it would do in a place with a heavy concentration of Astro Boy fans, and as you probably saw, I can't think of a good title for this to save my life. I'm open to ideas.

Once it's up it will be my 10th story over on fanfiction.net (I'm Elles Green), I see it as kind of a milestone.

Part 3 will be up soon!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

Hmm, maybe Uran is playing the Whoopi Goldberg part from the movie 'Ghost'. Until Patrick Swayze's character had seen his fiance safe without him, he couldn't move on. But only Whoppi was sensitive enough to interface with his ghost. Uran is sensitive to animals, maybe .... This is a great idea! In fact, you could even end up with an Astro boy crossover with the Ghost movie, or at least borrow a heck of a lot of plot ideas from it. As such, "Ghost" IS a good working title. (or maybe something with the word 'spirit' in it, such as "helping spirit".)

PS: Just found your Nom-De-Plume on FF. Hey, you're spreading yourself a bit thin there, I'm still waiting for the next update on Black Out!
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

StargazerLili
Metro City Citizen

Part 3

Postby StargazerLili » 10 years ago

This’ll be up on Fanfiction.Net in a few days

Yeah, that didn't happen. :d oh: You guys sure are patient.

Part 3:

Tobio remembered on summer nights he would lie in bed with the window open, counting the number of cricket chirps he heard before he fell asleep. He would always get tired before he could count very high. Now it was autumn, the crickets were now asleep underground. He could relate.

Though tonight there was a different noise. Peering down from the window he saw something move. Was it him?

Astro walked down the hall, his red boots kicking up dust that rose ghost-like from the floor. He glanced up to the large lamp up on the ceiling. The silence in the room hung just as heavily. He had told himself that he wouldn't stay too long; otherwise the doctor would worry and start asking questions.

He came to the row of picture frames, which was little more than a once empty shelf. Every time he had found a scattered photo, cracked, dusty, or simply worn, he added it to the line. For what reason on that particular shelf he didn’t know. The boy was nearly in every one. Astro saw his pictures in his head, would think about him, and have weird random memories of him that never happened. Didn’t they? Every time he looked, the boy in the picture frame felt farther away.

Unknown to him, it was in these moments that Tobio would come a little closer. Before he would have felt more threatened, but now, he looked upon the robot in a sort of self-conscious curiosity.

“Why did you come back?”

Tobio floated along near him, trying to figure him out. “Hey, I’m right-“ Astro walked right through him and Tobio winced. “…here.”

He found him again upstairs, in what used to be his room. Tobio crept closer still, until he was only a few steps away, between the bed and the doorway.

“What happened to you?” Astro ran his fingers over the frame he was holding. What Dr. Ochonomizu told him was very vague, an “accident”, that could mean anything.

Astro let the frame rest in his lap. “Tobio.”

Tobio gasped, had he been spotted? No, he couldn’t have. He was directly in front of him yet…

Astro wiped his eye on the back of his sleeve. Was he…crying? Tobio had never seen a robot cry before. He sat down next to him on the bed, unable to do much to help. “You can’t hear me either, huh.” More a statement than a question.

-------------

Uran bunched up her hands in her pockets. “He does?”

“Yeah, usually.”

She noticed something in his voice. “You…don’t like him?”

“What? No, it’s not like that.” He looked back down to the floor. “I mean, I like robots. They’re cool.” He paused for a moment. “It’s just a little weird.”

Uran faced the mirror hanging on the wall, slowly his appearance faded through Uran’s reflection until it replaced it completely.

His voice came from behind her. “He has my face.”

Without thinking about it Uran touched her own face, she knew how much she looked like her brother too.

“I think I know what you mean, sometimes it’s like…” Uran was at a loss for how to explain.

“You can’t measure up?”

“Y-yeah…” Did he ever feel the same way she did? How long would he stay stuck here? Those awful questions bloomed in her head like poisonous flowers. But she figured that it wasn’t right to ask something like that. She tried to fish for a new question, a new statement, anything.

Then a strange thought appeared in her mind. If Astro looked this boy, and she looked like Astro, what did that make to two of them?

“I remember when he used to live here.” His voice started to crackle again. “They spent…a lot of time together.”

“He lived here?”

Tobio nodded, now on the other side of the room. “I guess I did get a little jealous at first. But not anymore, now I know better.”

He glanced over at the row of picture frames, his eyes settling on the one of him and his father. The one with the cracked glass.

“It wasn't his fault.”

(Once I get past my perfectionism part 4 will be up!)

Return to “Fan Creations”