Astro Boy Gag Dub Video

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
MrsEclipse
Rocket Ball Champion

Astro Boy Gag Dub Video

Postby MrsEclipse » 11 years ago

One of my hobbies is video editing. I especially love re-dubbing (and editing to fit) videos. The rest of the internet calls it "abridged series," but that's not quite what I do. Usually I work on "Felix the Cat," but recently I wanted to do an episode of Astro Boy.

This is my take on Episode 97, "Mystery of the Metal Men" (or 197, "地球解放/Release of the Earth.") I call it Astro Boy Fights Some Robots in a Parallel Universe.

I do all the voices myself because I don't have anybody else to do them with me, and I do all the sound effects myself because I think the effect is hilarious.
Baby, don't let it slip, it's a once in a lifetime ship and it's never gonna come again...

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

Hmm, I think I passed over this once while browsing on my Wii's Youtube Channel- I definitely remember recognizing the avatar.

Maybe if I can get my paws on a decent (and compatible) microphone, I'll do stupid stuff with you. ^-^ I'm not entirely sure how helpful another (admittedly somewhat similar, if I recall) female voice would be, but, enyah.

Actually, there was a somewhat humorous "Abridged Series" for the '03 series that, for some reason, stops at just three episodes. It seems that they were trying to do it in the same chronological order as the English sequence, while simultaneously making silly jokes and mocking some of the common inconsistencies of the English sequence. And dirty jokes. Seems you can't have an "Abridged" version of something without at least one dirty joke thrown in somewhere. ._.

ANYWHO, I'd actually like to gather some folks together and see if we can't do the same thing, only with more "observational" humor (series' editing; out-of-sync and questionable dubbing; scene cuts; etc.) and less dirty jokes. And maybe less frequent use of foul language. Really, something that makes fun of the choices that were made during the excessively thorough (and almost completely stupid) editing process. I would probably definitely adress the screen-ratio cropping. And I'd prefer a parody that at least took the characters seriously, if nothing else- and proper sounding voice actors (i.e., use a female voice actor so that Atom actually sounds like a kid, as opposed to having a grown man /try/ to sound like one).

Maybe soon, I'll be able to. You can do some voice acting, too! We'll find some writers (because let's be honest, I have NO IDEA how to write for projects like these, myself), and some video-editing people (hey, you can help with that, too, right?). All in all, we can make something that's entertaining, as well as maybe encourage an official release of an uncut version; bring awareness to the series, y'know?

And it'd be something to do when we're bored. Y'know, there's that. >_>
lolwut

MrsEclipse
Rocket Ball Champion

I say anybody with a microphone is welcome to join in on my stupid video projects, and I'll join nearly any video project that asks me to. I'm working on one from the 2003 series based on Destination Deimos, and I have a lot of gags for a script for March of the Micro Bears. If that abridged series project ever comes to light, then there will be two different cuts of some videos. When I do Felix the Cat, I make it up as I go along, but my Astro videos are scripted out in advance.

I also find most abridged series to be too vulgar. I don't have a problem with coarse language or raunchy humor in general, but I find that most series get too carried away. I often find that censoring myself to a certain level actually increases my creativity rather than limiting it. The furthest I ever got was one video where one word of the Professor's was mostly bleeped out but you could still totally tell what he was saying. It was funny enough, and now that I've made that joke I don't have to again.

I also don't like it when the video exists solely to belittle and mock what it's parodying. It's supposed to be an AFFECTIONATE parody. Too many people these days miss the fact that Little Kuriboh, the guy who started it all, actually enjoyed Yu-Gi-Oh, and they think making a video that basically says "this is terrible" over and over is their ticket to Internet fame.
Baby, don't let it slip, it's a once in a lifetime ship and it's never gonna come again...

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

Mocking the source material is not my intention, as I still find the animation is wonderful, even if the hokey dubbing makes me either cringe or want to slap somebody. Besides, I honestly enjoyed what little I saw of the original dub (that fully orchestrated score, /unf/).

I was speaking of something not necessarily harsh or mean, but more snarky. Even making fun of English anime dubs in general (sort of like what "Girl-chan in Paradise" does half of the time). It'd probably include some characters improvising, ad libbing, making jokes out of or even grousing about the script, as if they know that that's not really how it goes. Like, for instance, they changed the name of the character "Lamp" to "Drake", even though his family company's name is still clearly visible as "Lamp" on the side of an airship in one episode. Little things that in retrospect, are slightly ridiculous.

This is not meant in disrespect to the Americans who worked with the project, trying to keep as much of the original content in tact as reasonably possible; rather, my ire resides with Sony on that front, for their fear of offending/ attempting to "cater to" an American audience is ultimately why we got what we see now. However, I would prefer to keep it from becoming mean-spirited, and I wouldn't be naming names. (That could get complicated.) I would also like to do things like from what little of "Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged" I could tolerate watching (the jokes are good; it's the dubbing that grates my nerves): funny visual jokes, as well as somewhat random silliness present in all "Abridged" redubs.

Y'know, if I could, I would try to redub the series myself if it wasn't such a bad idea. Maybe a fandub here and there for practice? It certainly wouldn't be professional quality. Scripting would also be a serious issue, considering most of the episodes don't have any sort of English subtitles (however... questionable) to base it upon. Acquiring raws might also be difficult. And there's the problem of, I'm only one person, and I'm not sure I'd be a good fit to play Atom. But y'never know until you try, right?

^--^
OvU
|) (|
^ ^
lolwut

MrsEclipse
Rocket Ball Champion

Oh, no, I know you weren't implying anything like that. I was just elaborating on my agreement with you on the quality of some abridged series.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

That was EPIC! I laughed so hard I cried!!!
Thank you Mrs. Eclipse . . . MORE PLEASE!!! :w00t:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

I'll have to watch it later at home, it kept crapping out on my wireless connection on my phone.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 11 years ago

I laughed a little too hard at the phone ringing. Awesome job.

dragonpawclaws
Kokoro Robot

Postby dragonpawclaws » 11 years ago

Watching that was the highlight of my day!
Really, just beyond awesome.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 11 years ago

"Do you really think that bomb can blow up the typhoon?"

"Sure, why not?"

Great video, MrsEclipse! I really enjoyed the style of humor you used in this video.

Return to “Fan Creations”