Story Prompt--What if it was Toby?

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
Secretsivekept
Metro City Citizen

Story Prompt--What if it was Toby?

Postby Secretsivekept » 8 years ago

Hey guys, so I had this "What If" idea that's been floating around in my head for a bit, and I thought it would be interesting to see the different directions you guys might take this idea. Purely for fun! :D

The prompt: What if Toby Tenma was never in the accident? What if he had never died, and as a result, was the star of the show? What direction do you think the story could have gone had TOBY been the main character instead of Astro?

This can be for any version of Astro Boy (though my original thought was for the movie, but since the movie's not as popular, you guys can do whatever you want ^-^)

You guys can submit writings or drawings or whatever you like to expand on your theories of what might have happened had Astro never been created. I'll submit my ideas later on, but you guys have fun with this one! :)

Fanficlover99
Banned

Postby Fanficlover99 » 8 years ago

Tobio/Toby would just be as strong as Astro, as i imagined him... could beat up champ in the ring
Last edited by Fanficlover99 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
check out my DA page
http://doctorwhovian1963.deviantart.com/ :hyo:
you can also check me out on fanfiction here https://www.fanfiction.net/~doctorwhovian63

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

In my mind I see Tobio as a boy genius (hinted at in the 2003 series, and stated so in the movie). He takes after his father and is fascinated by robotics. Being an only child, and often left alone to fend for himself to keep himself amused (because of Umatara's workaholic ways) the boy starts to make use of his fathers home workshop and creates a robotic 'brother' for himself using spare parts he secrets out of the ministry of science. The result is a super-robot that looks just like himself, which causes some interesting problems when people (including his father!) can't tell them apart!
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:In my mind I see Tobio as a boy genius (hinted at in the 2003 series, and stated so in the movie). He takes after his father and is fascinated by robotics. Being an only child, and often left alone to fend for himself to keep himself amused (because of Umatara's workaholic ways) the boy starts to make use of his fathers home workshop and creates a robotic 'brother' for himself using spare parts he secrets out of the ministry of science. The result is a super-robot that looks just like himself, which causes some interesting problems when people (including his father!) can't tell them apart!

I also agree that this is plausible way the story could unfold.

Or, Tenma himself creates a 'brother' to Tobio when he realizes how lonely and desperate for affection he is, Tenma's own mental headspace having difficulty dealing with family problems and conflict feels this is a perfectly reasonable solution and it allows him to work on a project.

YJ_Doodle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby YJ_Doodle » 8 years ago

This might sound depressing but Tobio himself might go down Tenma's path as well. Boy genius with only robots to keep him company, sound familar? It's odd to think such a sweet child like Tobio would go crazy, but then again, I think there's a possibility for that to happen, unless Tenma does something about Tobio's situation.

Maybe if Tobio did have the accident, but didn't die? That would still turn on Tenma's dad light. He would build Atom to be his brother/guardian, kinda like what Earthshine said. It'd be so cool to see them working as a duo to save the world! That's honestly what I want to see in the reboot, since we may have a chance of Tobio being alive. And If Tenma decides to make Atom the king of robots and blablablabla, both his sons definitely are going to teach him a good lesson about... I don't know, being an ordinary dad for once? XD

Oh, OH, and I have another idea. I remember making this up quite a while ago. So Tobio eventually gets frustrated about his father, and runs away from home. Tenma, devastated, searches for his son but with no avail, then desperately builds Atom. Meanwhile Tobio has run away, get's involved in yet another car accident(This boy and cars? Not EVER compatible.) He gets severely injured, his face is scarred, but he gets treated by... I dunno, Dr. Black Jack maybe? Probably wearing a hat and face full of scars, he's barely recognizable besides his eyes. He lives on the street repairing broken or abandoned robots, even finding a friend in an abandoned dog robot he names Jump. He sometimes visits his father's mansion in secret, but after realizing his father had replaced him with- get this- a ROBOT, he decides not to go anymore. Ouch. Years later when Atom is no longer living with Dr. Tenma, the two accidentally meet up again, perhaps when Atom is damaged by a fight. Tobio, now much older, is really hesitant about helping the very robot that replaced him, but repairs him in the end. Atom wonders why this street boy looks so familiar although they've never acquainted before. Then maybe after whatever is over(Either it be Tenma or the Robot War or both) Tobio finally reveals himself, and gets to live with Atom as his older brother, and even gets offered an apprenticeship in the Ministry of Science.
Last edited by YJ_Doodle on Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:51 am, edited 7 times in total.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

Very interesting YJ, and your idea has given me an idea for a short story here. Now in the 2003 anime we have TWO different fates for Tobio, he does die in a car accident on his scooter in the Japanese version of the show, but in the ELV they softened the story to him just running away. Now, what if I change the back story of another of the characters, and then merge them? I'd have to wait till the end or at least the middle of April to post that one here (for the April challenge), especially if written in the first person. That will give me a chance to flesh it out better.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

YJ_Doodle
Rocket Ball Champion

You have no idea how thrilled I am over here :D I'd always wished I had the stamina to elaborate my ideas to fanfiction, but for some reason I never quite do... But you're very experienced and I love all your stories, you've made me very excited for the April Challenge(Not that I already was, by the way)

Drawing, on the other hand, I can at least take a go at, and I'm currently doodling some versions of the Tobio in mind. I'll post it as soon as I'm done!

YJ_Doodle
Rocket Ball Champion

Welp, this is all I can manage today. I'll try to do more tomorrow, but meanwhile lemme go do my homework XD

(No, Tobio is not using a stun gun on Atom, it's just my lack of design creativity and zero knowledge of robotics and repair)
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-03-25 21.57.36.png
Screenshot 2016-03-25 21.57.36.png (72.51 KiB) Viewed 3031 times
Last edited by YJ_Doodle on Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Secretsivekept
Metro City Citizen

Postby Secretsivekept » 8 years ago

Ooh, very nice, very nice guys!! :D I like what you guys have done with this prompt!

my original idea that i had seems a bit silly now, I might post it later. :/

Rejoyce
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Rejoyce » 8 years ago

If Tobio didn't die, I'm sure Tenma would have found some other excuse to make a crazy-powerful robot. But if Tobio was the main character a lot of the stories would have to be changed since a lot hinges on Astro's ability to smash stuff. I like the genius thing, since it gives Tobio something unique. Really his only purpose in the story as it stands is to die tragically and drive Tenma into a depression, so there's a lot of room for speculation about what Tobio was like. Except in the 2009 movie, where he came across as kind of a jerk. Did anyone else get that from him?

Return to “Fan Creations”