Jayrockin's Fanart

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Re: Jayrockin's Fanart

Postby Juanita » 6 years ago

Wow! I love all the thought you put into his design.

jayrockin
Kokoro Robot

Postby jayrockin » 6 years ago

Oh my god I just remembered I forgot to post this here:

Anxiety Dolphin is a good episode of Astro Boy 2003
tumblr@jayrockin·····twitter@jayrock5858

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 6 years ago

That's fantastic! :lol:

Kitty Lue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Kitty Lue » 6 years ago

Anxiety dolphin for the win! :w00t: xD

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 6 years ago

:w00t: Good work, Jayrockin! Interesting ideas, too.

jayrockin
Kokoro Robot

Another comic:

The escalation in this episode of 80s Astro Boy was unreal. This boy must be so tired of everyone's bullhonkey.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 6 years ago

:D Nice work!

jayrockin
Kokoro Robot

@jeffbert, Kitty Lue, juanita, Dr Frag

Thank you so much! It means a lot to me that you enjoy my work :^D

jayrockin
Kokoro Robot

UHHHHH so this is the most dorky niche-interest thing I’ve ever worked on but here it is anyways I guess? Enjoy :^|

FTL Atom is an Astro Boy AU where Atom grows up to be the world’s first faster-than-light spaceship. I used a grab-bag of canon, so it's not connected to a particular iteration of the show.

The ship is essentially Atom's body–- he is wirelessly connected to it at all times and can control and run all of its processes and RC drones. The server room of the ship contains Atom’s memory backups and additional processing power, so he sort of thinks with two brains at once? His original body is more of a social-interfacing limb from his perspective now, the relative amount of sensory data and physical influence it has is minuscule compared to the entirety of the ~20 mile long ship he controls.

The backstory is that around Atom’s sophomore year college, people really began pressuring him to upgrade to an older-looking body. He initially agreed but kept putting it off, eventually realizing that he didn’t actually want the upgrade. Suddenly struck by how his entire life and physical presentation had been defined by human expectations, he had a bit of an existential crisis… he could put his AI in a bulldozer and be the same person, so did it really matter if he “grew up” into an older body? Did he even want a humanoid body? It had never occurred to him that he had a choice in the matter. He joked to Reno about growing up into a spaceship instead (both were majoring in engineering, Atom in aerospace specifically) and then it became… not a joke anymore. Atom’s PHD thesis was basically “Hi I’m going to turn myself into a starship and there’s nothing you can do to stop me.”

Tenma in this AU was mostly a terrible dad, him and Atom hadn’t really talked much in the 25 odd years since the whole selling Atom into slavery… thing… Tenma did before the AI rights laws were passed. Atom and crew have just set off on their first long trip out of the solar system, heading out to colonize the nearest hospitable exoplanet, and now a very regretful 70 year old Tenma has been hired as an engineer to work on Atom’s ship. Neither party is very comfortable with the situation, but it’s gonna take a few years to get there and back so hmmm they better sort out their issues huh?

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 6 years ago

Awesome. :astro: I especially like the 24 miles joke and Uran going back into wrestling. :lol:

I was thinking about robot mental powers recently. Tezuka portrayed a very traditional view of robots, that they were basically machines in humanoid bodies. But I was watching a Star Trek episode with Betazoids and their telepathy and realised that robots can do the same thing with wireless networking. Astro controlling machinery around him and while running multiple Skype calls sounds totally viable.

Return to “Fan Creations”