The Wounded One (AB 03 Fanfic)

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
Pushmipullu
Kokoro Robot

The Wounded One (AB 03 Fanfic)

Postby Pushmipullu » 6 years ago

First Astro Boy fanfic. We'll see how this goes.

It was a beautiful, early summer morning in Metro City. Normally, days like this were relatively peaceful, with throngs of people enjoying the weather or going about their business. However, today was anything but peaceful. As a small group of people stood at a local crosswalk, waiting for the robot crossing guard to give them the signal to start walking, a speedy black sports car suddenly zoomed passed them. As the pedestrians looked on in shock, faint police sirens could be heard coming closer and closer. Finally, about a dozen police cars rounded the street corner and took off in pursuit of the black car.

“Don't let them out of your sight!” Inspector Tawashi shouted into his communicator. “Stay close to me!”

His car accelerated to the front of the line as the black vehicle turned a corner. Not far away, Atom was walking down the sidewalk with his sister, Uran. The two of them were carrying groceries from the local market back to Dr. Ochanomizu's house.

“Hey, how come I get the heavier bags?” Uran grumbled as the two of them walked.

“They're the lighter ones, Uran,” Atom sighed. “I already told you, they weigh 0.2 grams less than the ones I have.”

“How do I know you're not lying?” Uran barked.

At that exact moment, the black sports car sped past them. Atom stopped so suddenly that Uran almost bumped into him.

“Hey, watch it!” she shouted.

Atom wasn't paying attention. He was staring in shock in the direction the black car had gone. For just a split second, the robot boy could have sworn he saw a familiar face in the back seat of the vehicle.

“Skunk!” He thought. “Finally!”

Atom handed his shopping bags to Uran.

“Hold these!” He shouted as he rocketed into the air, and flew in the direction of the car. Uran could only stare at her brother as he flew away, dumbfounded.

Atom flew as fast he could, but the little black car had a big head start. It was going to take everything the robot hero had to catch up. He could hear the police sirens behind him, slowly catching up. Inside the black car, Skunk twisted himself around to peer out the back window. He grimaced when he saw Atom in the distance.

“Looks like Atom noticed. Get this thing into the air and lose 'em!” He barked to the driver.

The car began to gain altitude, and in a matter of seconds it was soaring high above the city skyline. Atom and the police immediately followed suit. Skunk's car suddenly dove around the edge of a tall skyscraper. Atom and most of the police cars managed to make the sharp turn, but a couple of cars were forced to screech to a halt to avoid crashing into the building. Skunk grinned when he noticed the missing police cars.

“Alright,” he said. “Keep it up. We're shaking 'em off!”

They made another sharp turn around another skyscraper, and then another, and another. Each time they made a turn, a number of police cars were forced to stop dead in their tracks. But no matter what Skunk and his henchmen tried, they could not get rid of Atom, who was rapidly catching up to them. Suddenly, the black car lurched violently. The robot boy was now clinging to the back bumper. Skunk growled.

“Atom...” he huffed.

Atom swung his rocket legs forward, and pulled back on the car, trying to slow it down. But just as the black vehicle was starting to lose momentum, the robot hero saw something flash in the corner of his eye. He turned his head just in time to see Inspector Tawashi's car taking a nosedive towards the ground. Atom immediately let go of Skunk's car and dove after Tawashi's, which appeared to be spiraling out of control. He fired up his rockets and sped towards the car. If he didn't catch up in time, the car wound crash into the concrete below. At last, just a few seconds before hitting the ground, Atom grabbed onto the car and brought it to a dead stop.

The other police cars swarmed around Atom as he jerked the driver's door open.

“What happened, Inspector?” Atom said. But as soon as the words got out of his mouth, a sinking terrible feeling arose in his non-existent stomach. Tawashi was slumped over the wheel of the car, motionless, and the robot boy wasn't even sure if he was breathing.

“Inspector...”
*******************************************************************************************

“Excuse me, miss?”

The robot nurse turned around. Dr. Ochanomizu was standing behind her, with a worried look on his face. Above them, muffled sentences emitted from the hospital speakers.

“How may I help you?” asked the nurse.

“Which room is Inspector Tawashi in?” asked Ochanomizu. “I heard about what happened and-”

“Room 363, just down that hallway. It should be on your right,” said the nurse, pointing towards the area.

The Doctor thanked her, and then began to walk down the hallway. It wasn't very hard to find room 363, for two robot police officers were standing at the entrance, guarding it. As soon as they saw Ochanomizu, they moved aside and allowed him to enter the room.

Tawashi was laying in a hospital bed, still unconscious. Atom and three other police officers were standing at his bedside. They looked up as Ochanomizu entered the room. The Doctor walked over to Atom and put his hand on the boy's shoulder.

“How is he?” Ochanomizu asked.

“He hasn't woken up yet...” Atom said quietly.

“The doctor thinks he passed out behind the wheel,” one of the officers spoke up. “They took some blood samples and are running tests now.”

Just then, Tawashi let out a low moan. Everyone in the room turned their attention to the Inspector as he sleepily opened his eyes.

“Skunk...” he muttered. “Where is he? Where is Skunk?”

“He got away, Inspector...” said Atom.

“Got away...” Tawashi mumbled.

Suddenly, the inspector jerked upright. The police officers noticed this, and rushed over to restrain him.

“Calm down, Inspector,” said one of them. “You're not supposed to sit up yet-”

“He got away!?” Tawashi bellowed at Atom. “How could you let him get away, you idiot!? He was right there!”

Atom stepped away from the bed, with a deep frown across his face. Ochanomizu noticed this, and narrowed his eyebrows in anger.

“With all due respect, Tawashi, Atom just saved your life! You'd be dead by now if it weren't for him!”

“That's enough!”

Everyone looked up at the new voice. It came from a doctor, who was standing in the doorway of the room. A nurse was standing next to him.

“Everyone, please leave the room. I need to talk to Mr. Tawashi alone.”

The others nodded, and slowly filed out into the hallway. Atom and Ochanomizu were the last ones to leave.

“Doctor?” Atom said, tentatively.

“What is it, Atom?”

“Robots were created to help people, right?”

“That's right,” Ochanomizu nodded.

“Then why was Inspector Tawashi mad at me for saving him?”

Ochanomizu stopped walking. He scratched the top of his head and thought hard. Atom waited patiently for an answer.

“Some humans,” said the doctor, “are very passionate about their work. So much so that sometimes they'd rather die than fail to do their job.”

“But they can't do their job if they're dead...” replied Atom.

Ochanomizu smiled at his robot charge.

“I know,” he said. “It doesn’t make sense, and it's a flawed way of thinking, but as we both know, there are a lot of things about humans that don't make sense.”

Atom nodded, but he still felt ashamed. Ochanomizu noticed this, and patted the robot boy on his shoulder.

“You did the right thing, Atom. Don't worry about the Inspector. He'll be fine. By the way, I have some good news...”

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Re: The Wounded One (AB 03 Fanfic)

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 6 years ago

Very good story so far! Please continue this!

Now in my head cannon, the doctor treating Tawashi would have been either Dr. Tezuka, or Dr. BlackJack.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Return to “Fan Creations”