Picture the caption game

All forum games and role play threads should go here.
Ataru Moroboshi
Robot President
Location: L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona province, Autonomous Community of Catalonia, Spain, Europe.

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » 17 years ago

"DrFrag" wrote:Good idea for a game. :lol:

"I never wanted to do this in the 1st place-- I wanted to be a lumberjack"

... And is he OK, working all day? :D

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 17 years ago

"Ataru Moroboshi" wrote:... And is he OK, working all day? :D

I or the winner provide the caption, you provide an image to go with it.

Ataru Moroboshi
Robot President
Location: L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona province, Autonomous Community of Catalonia, Spain, Europe.

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » 17 years ago

Ah! No, no, I know how this game works. This is not a caption to the picture: I was just commenting the caption. Sorry for causing this confusion :blush: . I saw something about Mont Python and...

I'll try to post a picture to the next caption, because I think this pic is just unbeatable.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

I had thought of Mont Blanc too, but I have another idea! :)

Edited... in fact I had a few. Too bad it wasn't "I wanted to be a plumber", because I would have had a funny one for that! :D

Atlas: "I never wanted to do this in the 1st place-- I wanted to be a lumberjack"

Last edited by Astro Forever on Wed May 23, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Some of these seem quite funny, but I do not understand the humor in others. I think Dr. Frag's 1st one is the best so far.
Higeoyaji's expression definitely seems matched to the caption.

Sam's back is toward the viewer, but other than that, it works very well.

Atlas' body language just does not match any statement of discontent. He could be saying "All this will be yours if you join me." :D

This one works well
because we already know that Uran-chan would rather be somewhere else, doing something else.

I do not think either of these match the caption at all:
It seems he might be saying something like, "The things I do to make Uran happy."

Likewise, this one seems ill-suited to the caption. However, change 'a' to 'the'
Bruton: "I never wanted to do this in the 1st place-- I wanted to be the lumberjack" & it seems to work very well.

If I had to name a winner now, it would be Dr. Frag; but I want to wait another day & hope for more participation. :astro:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Image
Atlas' body language just does not match any statement of discontent. He could be saying "All this will be yours if you join me." :D

"I didn't want to do this...", "this" being the crystal castle he is showing in his gesture (actually, the same "this" that you meant in the above suggestion). In other words, his goal in the past wasn't to build the crystal castle, but just to be a lumberjack. Obviously something happened that made him change his mind, but I leave that reason to the imagination of the reader. ;) I thought it was amusing that someone would rather want to be a lumberjack instead of living in a castle.

"jeffbert" wrote:This one works well
because we already know that Uran-chan would rather be somewhere else, doing something else.

I do not think either of these match the caption at all:
It seems he might be saying something like, "The things I do to make Uran happy."
You said the previous one worked well because we already knew that Uran wanted to be somewhere else.

Of course, having watched the episode, we know why Astro is disguising himself as a dog. But I figured we could just forget the original context (especially since, after all, not everybody here has seen the 1980 series) and imagine whatever we wanted from the picture. Whatever the reason why Astro is disguising himself, it's not something he wants to do (presumably because he feels ridiculous), and that's why he'd rather be lumberjack.

I'd say that if I have to explain what the joke is, it means that the joke is probably not very good. However, if you tend to keep the context around the picture (and by that I mean what was really happening at that point in the actual episode) and I assume we can take them all out of context, then obviously we'll have problems understanding each others. :unsure: What do you think?

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 17 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Likewise, this one seems ill-suited to the caption. However, change 'a' to 'the'
Bruton: "I never wanted to do this in the 1st place-- I wanted to be the lumberjack" & it seems to work very well.

I always remember Bruton saying "I am a fighting robot!" throughout the story like it was an unavoidable career choice. :D

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Time to name Dr. Frag as winner. Just to add confusion, I will not name a runner-up. :lol:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 17 years ago

:w00t:

Okay, here is the next quote:

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing!"

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 17 years ago

Easy, I'm sure you were thinking about that :p
"I can't believe I ate the whole thing!"
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Return to “Games & Role Play”