Please help me find these kanji!!

A forum to discuss in any language, not necessarily in English.
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Please help me find these kanji!!

Postby jeffbert » 5 years ago

It has these two, but as radicals of one kanji character:

These are on 1963 B&W booklet #4, page 10:

UNKNOWN KANJI (1963-BOOKLET #4 P_0010).jpg
UNKNOWN KANJI (1963-BOOKLET #4 P_0010).jpg (182.37 KiB) Viewed 10594 times

I cannot find either of them.

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Re: Please help me find these kanji!!

Postby Strange Wings » 5 years ago

The first radical is "吉" (KICHI; yoshi) and means "Good fortune, good luck", the second is an obsolete variant of "功" (KOU; isao) which means "merit, success". Obsolete Kanjis are often being used in names.

I'm not quite sure about the correct spelling of the name, but it may be something like "Kishimoto Yoshiko".
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Strange Wings wrote:The first radical is "吉" (KICHI; yoshi) and means "Good fortune, good luck", the second is an obsolete variant of "功" (KOU; isao) which means "merit, success". Obsolete Kanjis are often being used in names.

I'm not quite sure about the correct spelling of the name, but it may be something like "Kishimoto Yoshiko".

Thanks, Strangewings! I have various Kanji tables, including one for obsolete Kanji, but could not find these.

-Wait! is this '吉' the same as the one in the image? the '士'≠ '土' The one cross is as wide as, or wider than the underline; while the other cross is not as wide as the underline. :pirate: :unsure:

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 5 years ago

Oops, I didn't notice that. It must be an obsolete variant of as well. I did a Google search though, and the guy's name appears also in the 吉功 variant, so I guess both writing styles should be correct.
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」

- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Hmm. So there is no difference between those two kanji? I will take your word for it, my friend. Thanks!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I found [the narrow cross over the line over the box, but the forum says "Your message contains the following unsupported characters", but here is the link to it: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/吉; see the "see also" part.

So, anyway, on pg 10 of booklet 4 (Angel of the Alps), the narrow cross is used in the credits section; while pg 12, (Zeo), has apparently the same name, though using the wide cross. :?
"

Return to “Multilingual forum”