Hooray! I found 1980s Daddy Walrus!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Bob Gonzalez
Kokoro Robot

How do you do this quote thing?

Postby Bob Gonzalez » 14 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:
Glad to hear there's talk of a reunion, and also that Astro won't be as young, because for me he seemed too baby-fied. Can't wait for that! :lol:

I'm ready for the reunion, although how old will Daddy Walrus be if Astro is grown up? He's still got to be able to be a serious martial arts practitioner or else what's the point, right? :lol:

Bob Gonzalez
Kokoro Robot

OK, seems I got the quote thing right this time

Thanks for bearing with me as I figure out how to communicate here. I'm computer savvy but have not participated in discussion forums like this. A new experience for me.

I'm curious to hear from the fans:

What are your favorite episodes, characters?

When did you start watching them and where and how often were they shown?

When Jay and I grew up - correct me if I'm wrong, Jay - cartoons only came on Saturday morning and weekday afternoons. I'm just curious where Astro Boy was on the TV schedule.

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 14 years ago

Dave Miller and I did a great majority of the male "guest star" voices. There was not too much call for Skunk (my voice). However, all of us did different voices except for Patti (Astro). She never did a single other voice. And it was not her natural voice; it's funny, but the last time I saw her, she didn't even remember how to "do" Astro.

My commentary thread, above, is an attempt to sort everything out. Debbie Holmes and Kahlei Slick did most of the guest female voices. Becke was a late addition to the cast; she played Uran and some others.

Bob, our series ran daily in America on the WB. I wish The Cartoon Network would pick it up. I have tried, many, many, MANY times to work with Nippon Television to promote the show -- with no success.

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

"Bob Gonzalez" wrote:I'm making it one of my summer projects to watch the series again and see if I can identify voices and remember more things for all of you who are interested.

Well, I know you did the voice of the gold alien robot thingy in episode 50, so that's voice over number 1. The others...I...I need watch again. =S

"Bob Gonzalez" wrote:What are your favorite episodes, characters?

Favourites episodes are: The Robot Circuit, Death Balloon (Just wanted to hug poor Astro in that), The Greatest Robot on Earth (and the one after that) Along with the Birth of Astro Boy, and that Atlas vs Astro that got cut (only seen it in Japanese but still!)

Favourite characters:... :astro: , along with Atlas, Livian, Astro's parents, Nikki (Should've been in more episodes). In fact, I pretty much liked all the characters, except that guy on the floating leopard. Scary.

Annnnnd, I started watching 1980 show after I saw the movie. I never saw them on tv while I was a kid... :cry:

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 14 years ago

"Bob Gonzalez" wrote:
I'm curious to hear from the fans:

What are your favorite episodes, characters?

My favorite episodes have to be both of "The Greatest Robot in the World" episodes, "Robot Land", and "A Robot President".

Not joking, my favorite characters are Inspector Tawashi (Gumshoe) and Shunsaku Ban (Daddy Walrus). In fact, they have remained my favorites through the different series'. Astro is cute and all, but these two are just awesome. Oh, and Tenma. :tenma:

I first saw the 1980's series when I was 10. My mom had some episodes recorded from when my Dad watched them. Wish I could find those old tapes... (my Dad had gotten into Astro Boy when he was deployed to Japan. He still has an old VHS of the 60's series he taped when he was over there, lol.)

Loved it since. :3
*dust*

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

Mr. Gonzalez, it's incredible to hear from you! :w00t: You were one of my favorite voices in the english version.

To answer your question, I first saw the eighties series on STV (now Global Television) in 1995 or so. Although, I live in Canada, and we got an entirely different dub with different names and edits. (i.e., Daddy Walrus was Max McNugget, and Skunk was Slippery.) I know that they ran the show every morning at the time.
I got the North American box set with the American dub when I was in 7th grade, and I was introduced to a whole new cast of voices.

I like a lot of Tezuka's characters, but it's Tenma/Boynton, Skunk, Livian, and Daddy Walrus in particular here. And my favorite episodes are probably The Time Machine, The Light Ray Robot, Uran's Twin, and the Greatest Robot series. I probably have more, but I'd have to concentrate and narrow them down.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Bob Gonzalez
Kokoro Robot

"Alittleacorn" wrote:Well, I know you did the voice of the gold alien robot thingy in episode 50, so that's voice over number 1. The others...I...I need watch again. =S

Thanks, Alittleacorn! I'll watch that episode next. I just watched THE RAINBOW COMET and liked it. Upon hearing my voice again, I realized that there was not that much George C. Scott and kabuki actor gutteral in this one. Maybe I toned it down as the episodes progressed or maybe it had something to do with trying to get several sentences out in one breath. Man, that was challenging! Especially trying to make emotional adjustments and have a modicum of subtlety as well.

Bob Gonzalez
Kokoro Robot

"Fauna" wrote:Mr. Gonzalez, it's incredible to hear from you! :w00t: You were one of my favorite voices in the english version.

Thank you so much, Fauna. It really is gratifying to know that you enjoyed my work, especially since I lost touch with the series right after we supplied the voices for it. I so much wanted to see it and follow its broadcasting journey but then it never played anywhere I could get it. I heard that it was playing in the Philippines and that it was re-recorded with new voice actors, which I think Jay has confirmed it true. But now with the internet, to be able to converse on discussion groups with enthusiasts like yourself is really wonderful.

Thanks again to you and Alittleacorn and The Tawashi Bus Hat for posting your favorite episodes. I'm going to watch all the ones you mentioned first! And thanks for telling about your viewing experiences with the show. You are all so great and I'm so happy to know you.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

Welcome Bob! :) I'm glad you are sharing your memories with us.

My favorite character is, well, Astro. :wub: I have many favorite episodes and they change from time to time, but among them are The Greatest Robot in the World, Atlas Forever, Save the Classmate, Save the Carolina 3, The Runaway Subway Train and Uran's Quest. I tend to really like the episodes in which Astro is living like a child among his classmates.

I started watching the series in 1984 I believe, but in French (I live in Canada). I discovered your version through this forum first, and later through the Australian and American boxsets. That is when I realized I had been robbed of 4 to 5 minutes per episode, so your version really felt like a new Astroboy series to me because suddenly many of the stories made much more sense.

Bob Gonzalez
Kokoro Robot

Thanks, Astro Forever. Now I have some other episodes to add to my "watch first" list.

I have requested all the episodes from the 60s series that my county library has - and it seems to have a good number. These are the ones I grew up on and why I found it exciting to be chosen to voice the new color series in the early 1980s.

I like this forum a lot. Have any voice actors from the other later (not 1960s!) series posted any comments? So far, I've only seen Jay Rath's.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”