the cute Astro picture thread

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 16 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:
It's a stereo picture! Can you view it?

If it wasn't for the floor...

:) It works fine for me, despite of the floor. Try to relax your eyes as if you would look into the void.

Uh-oh, repair service! :D
Hey, who is this guy? This isn't Dr. Elefun...

Maybe Dr Tenma? :unsure:

:lol: Dr. Tenma working with instant glue? I had no idea the financial situation was so bad at the Ministry of Science. :p

Hot-air balloon! Better you don't ignite his jets! :p

Uh oh... Aren't you supposed to run away when seeing an Astro balloon? :sick:

:) Good point, but this one is vertical, the death balloons however are horizontal. That's a crucial difference... I think....? :confused: :lol:

This appears to be poster from the 80's series.

I rarely see Astro items that I would really want, but this one... I really, really like it. Everyting about it!

I got it from a japanese auction site. Unfortunately, the auction already has ended; besides, I don't know enough of japanese that I would've been able to bid for it. :(

Also, is it possible that many of the drawings were taken from the series? I seem to recall Dr Elefun in that pose, but I don't remember where or when. I seem to recall Livian's, young Atlas' and Tobio as well.

Yeah, the character's gestures indeed seem to be taken from the series. I think Dr. Elefun was taken from the ep ' The Greatest Robot Of The World' (either Pt.1 or 2). Livian surely enough has been taken from the original 1st episode since she's doing a rather devoted gesture. Boy Atlas was taken from the original 2nd episode.
Obviously, Tobio stems from the 1st episode.
It's easy to tell for the other characters where they belong to (i.e. Dead Cross, Prince Siegfried...), it's harder to tell however for the ones who appearing more often throughout the series.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 16 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:
It's a stereo picture! Can you view it?

If it wasn't for the floor...

It can be seen by small shifts between Astro and the foreground. It is cleary visible on his right arm, because on one picture it is right before the edge of the wall behind, and the not on the other picture.
Otherwise, it should be easier to get the 3D effect by putting a hand between the 2 pictures and pressing the nose against it, so as each eye see only 1 picture.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 15 years ago

"Strange Wings" wrote::) Good point, but this one is vertical, the death balloons however are horizontal. That's a crucial difference... I think....? :confused: :lol:

Hmmm, you're right. They are only vertical as they get blowed if I remember correctly. Now that I think of it, I don't quite get how they remain horizontal. I've never seen any regular ballon go up that way.

"fafner" wrote:It can be seen by small shifts between Astro and the foreground. It is cleary visible on his right arm, because on one picture it is right before the edge of the wall behind, and the not on the other picture.
Otherwise, it should be easier to get the 3D effect by putting a hand between the 2 pictures and pressing the nose against it, so as each eye see only 1 picture.

Oh, I thought that "stereo picture" only meant that it was almost as if there were two identical subjects in that particular picture. :unsure: I had totally forgotten about those "stereo pictures" that were so popular 15 years ago or so.

I know how to make those images appear, I even had a book with many of them, but unfortunately, I have had eyes convergence problems. I've had it for years without knowing it and it led to severe eye pain. Now it's much better because I've done some exercises, but I'm sure that trying to watch a stereo image would be a total counter exercise. I even wondered if those images didn't contribute to triggering the problem even though I don't think I've spent that much time watching them and it was a long time ago.

I'm still glad I know what it's like to watch them, I know many people couldn't do it, but I think it's better for me to not ever attempt watching another one unless there are the next winning lottery numbers in there. :p

Innocent_Eyes
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Innocent_Eyes » 15 years ago

Okay, I am so totally confused right now! :lol:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 15 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:I know how to make those images appear, I even had a book with many of them, but unfortunately, I have had eyes convergence problems. I've had it for years without knowing it and it led to severe eye pain. Now it's much better because I've done some exercises, but I'm sure that trying to watch a stereo image would be a total counter exercise. I even wondered if those images didn't contribute to triggering the problem even though I don't think I've spent that much time watching them and it was a long time ago.

I must say it caused me pain in the eyes for trying for just a few seconds :sick: Might have to ask to my doctor if I have eyes convergence problems :whistling:
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 15 years ago

dang, I used to be able to make those work ><

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 15 years ago

I own 3 "Magic Eye" books by Tom Baccey containing hidden 3D pictures that follow the same principle as the 3D pic above. These books are decent training methods for making those pictures work. :)

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 15 years ago

"fafner" wrote:I must say it caused me pain in the eyes for trying for just a few seconds :sick: Might have to ask to my doctor if I have eyes convergence problems :whistling:

I've never experienced pain while watching them or even soon after.

I've had eye strains such as if there was an invisible hand pulling my ocular globe to the side. :eek: :cry: I'd also see double at mid distance (I guess the computer probably didn't help but there are many people using them and not having those problems).

I would think that it would be normal to experience pain while setting your eyes in an unnatural position, not randomly.

"Strange Wings" wrote:I own 3 "Magic Eye" books by Tom Baccey containing hidden 3D pictures that follow the same principle as the 3D pic above. These books are decent training methods for making those pictures work. :)

I believe one is the one I have.
Last edited by Astro Forever on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

WHEN AM I GONNA SEE THE FRICKIN' SAILBOAT?

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

kinda bumpin' an old thread but I found this on Ebay and had to share it
SO CUUUUTE! And funny too ^^
I think it's a postcard. Here's the auction if you're interested
http://cgi.ebay.com/Astro-Boy-New-Year-Postcard-1960s-Vintage-Astroboy-No2_W0QQitemZ380069598793QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380069598793&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”