DAMN KIDS WB

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

Let us wait until the WB dub catches up with the fansub, before we pass judgement. At the current rate of fansub publishing, it takes about 6-7 weeks to put an episode in fansubbed form. The WB ought to overtake the fansub at the seventh episode. By then, it will be abundantly clear if the hero is indeed depicted as Astropunk. B) Perhaps it could be that WB is counting on making him appeal to boys on a first impressions are the strongest basis, and will bring him in line as the series progresses.

However, regarding the voice, it is much more mature than Bart Simpson's voice. In fact, I would call it adolescent. We will soon see what grade WB puts him in. Since the 80s, Atom has been depicted as a "nine-year old", although the manga and I believe the 60s anime made him twelve.

Regarding the editing, the FS (does not stand for fat shi*) version ran 23:35 including the preview of next week's episode (15 seconds). The WB ran only 20:55, and incorporated the previews into the closing credits. I have little doubt that suceeding episodes will be about the same length as the first one. :( Which means that about one minute and thirty seconds must go (assuming that the opening and closing credits are of equal length in both languages. The WB opning cretits ran about 1:00). This will result in a dry humorless dub, as anything that does not contribute to the plot will be not only expendable, but will be deemed as time consumed by unwanted scenes.

Thus, just as the walking with the little girl's papa scene was cut, so, too the scene with Robita acting as a jump-rope will be cut except possibly for the part where she realizes that Atom is gone. :( :cry: :angry: And that sucks! :angry:

And let us not forget, that of the two siblings, Naughty little Uran is the one who has the attitude.

In the manga and all three series, it is Atom who must correct his kid sister. How will WB deal with this? :o

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 20 years ago

Dr Woo has created a really cool video showing a detailed comparison of the editing done on the first episode. It shows the American and Japanese subbed episodes side-by-side with each one's audio on a different stereo channel. It lets you see and hear exactly what was done with the show when it was brought over.
You can download it from my FTP in this directory: \video_eps\new\dub vs sub\

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”