Is Atlas a real vilain?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
tic_tac_astro
Robot President

Postby tic_tac_astro » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever+Aug 24 2005, 11:50 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astro forever @ Aug 24 2005, 11:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--sarahh@Aug 24 2005, 02:43 PM
who is the creator of Daichi ? Tenma ????? :huh:

I think so. [/b][/quote]
Tenma created Daichi, but he also made Daichi more powerful as a robot, and a son to Tokugawa. :P

Thank you, you're too kind.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever+Aug 24 2005, 01:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astro forever @ Aug 24 2005, 01:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--sarahh@Aug 24 2005, 02:43 PM
who is the creator of Daichi ? Tenma ????? :huh:

I think so. [/b][/quote]
He was as was Tobio, a real boy. However, his papa had big plans for him to take over the family business, so when he died, he contracted Tenma to build a robot replacement that could pass for a human. :lol: However, Tenma threw in a few features that papa had not ordered. :lol:

tic_tac_astro
Robot President

Postby tic_tac_astro » 19 years ago

:lol:

Thank you, you're too kind.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 19 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Aug 24 2005, 03:54 PM
He was as was Tobio, a real boy. However, his papa had big plans for him to take over the family business, so when he died, he contracted Tenma to build a robot replacement that could pass for a human. :lol: However, Tenma threw in a few features that papa had not ordered. :lol:

:lol:

How did his son die? I totally forgot that part! :wacko:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Originally posted by sarahh@Aug 24 2005, 08:13 PM
:wub: thank you ! :wahah: Atlas is a very cool robot :lol: I would like that it incarnates the role of a good robot! <_<

In the 1980 serie, he has sometimes good roles. Without spoiling too much, he has in "the Robots Vikings" and "Atlas forever", maybe other ones.
He has also good roles in the 2000s, but he appears only in a few episodes.
Question : daichi is a robot or human? Who is tokugawa????? :huh:

In the 2000, Atlas is similar to Astro in the sense he was killed in an accident and "reincarnated" into a robot. In the Japanese version, the accident happens shortly before the episode, and Tokugawa (Daichi's father) begs Tenma to create a robot with all his memories.
In the English version it happens during Daichi's childhood, although the accident is not mentionned. Shortly before the episode, Atlas is destroyed, and Tokugawa begs Tenma to rebuild Atlas with all his previous memories. Similar but not the same. For some reasons people who edited the American version thought it was better that way <_<
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Eileen sobora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Eileen sobora » 19 years ago

I rather stick with the new Atlas than the old because the old one seem to be acting like superman which is pretty strange, the new one is very cool and is very tough :P thats why I like the new Atlas better.

To Atlas YOU ROCK :P
My Artpage http://daydream16.deviantart.com/
A perfect artist always needs to have one. ;)

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 19 years ago

Atlas? Good intentions, bad execution.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

In the original manga & anime, Atlas was created by a dark-skinned man to use as a tool of revenge against whites who had by their racist policies, caused the death of the man's wife. However, the man was as abusive of Atlas as whites had been of blacks. For, he created him with sufficient intelligence to carry out his mission, but this also gave Atlas the ability to know that he was a slave & to resent it. He therefore, turned against his master.

The 1980s Atlas was a combination of the new (cute) Atlas as seen in manga vol. 23 & the Blue Knight. Although it seems clear that the BK's story became the focus once Atlas "grew up." :P Atlas' original story was discarded as he became the (then) new Blue Knight. Thus, Atlas has a dislike of humans because Guiss, Skunk, & the other bad guy had abused him. While at the same time, Livian showed him kindness, which caused him to be more accepting of other robots, rather than totally alienated. Also, because L admonished him to be kind to those weaker than himself, he seemed to be hesitant to harm humans who had not first harmed him.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 19 years ago

I'm throwing this out of the blue, but a little sentence Atlas said in "Atlas Forever" left me pensive, after Astro learned Atlas was his brother: "I have already decided that no personal feeling would get into my life's work" (or something like that). And he stopped fighting right after.

In other words, he did have a special feeling towards Astro after learning he was his brother. Plus it always seemed like he could have destroyed Astro if he had wanted to on many occasions, I mean he could have taken Astro by surprise right after (or when) Astro went sleepwalking or something, not to mention during their first battle. He wanted to destroy Astro... but not in any possible way. He kind of gave a fair chance to Astro each time. At least that's the way I feel.

On the other hand, Atlas didn't seem to care very much about human lives. I always thought he changed his mind at the end because of his feelings towards Astro, and only for Astro himself, not for anybody else.

gentleman92576
Kokoro Robot

Postby gentleman92576 » 18 years ago

I totally agree with this about Atlas being a victim more than a villian. Count Walpur Guiss and Skunk didn't treat young Atlas very nice at all. And having the Omega Factor in his brain didn't help his abilities to try and understand humans (since it was said that Atlas was built to emulate humans). The stare he has is very stern and doesn't let up either. In a way Atlas is a kind of sociopath; he seems to intimidate everyone he comes across. Check out the pic below -

Want to know what Atlas is doing? He's staring down on Skunk and Skunk is recalling who Atlas was (a boy robot). Atlas, in the end, realized that all humans shouldn't be hated over what Walpur Guiss did to him (and to Livian). I have the Astroboy Deluxe DVD Collection and I watched the Japanese episodes with young Atlas. It was moving and sad. Guiss and Skunk were total pricks and young Atlas was doing his best. Young Atlas was nearly destroyed by Guiss, but he managed to rebuild himself and Livivan.

I'll post those pics at a later time, because those two episode still get me.....

"I'll name you Atlas...
Dictator of the Earth."

- Count Walpur Guiss
The Birth of Astroboy (J)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”