Identifying manga chapter name

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Re: Identifying manga chapter name

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 3 years ago

I've never seen Atom drawn in color with green eyes, only brown (except in third party bootleg comics, or fan art). I guess Tezuka / Mushi did depict him that way though.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 3 years ago

Thank you BrutalDawnFawn! Since the prices are reasonable (if the exchange rate I googled is correct!) and the condition is not too bad I may get one or two. ( depending again on the condition.) I only own the November, 1964 issue.

But this brings up another point. Back in 2013 I posted a thread on this site which showed the covers of all 28 issues of "Mighty Atom Club" magazine and using information from a few different sources I wrote that there were no Atom manga stories in issues 6/66 thru 11/66 because there were none listed in any of the guides available. There is still no listing for any issue after 5/66 on the Tezuka Osamu website. But now as we know there was a manga story in the 6/66 issue; though why they would adapt an anime episode that aired two years before its manga appearance is beyond me. (Usually the manga episode came first, then it was adapted into an anime episode.) BTW do you have any of the issues from 7/66 to 11/66 and do they also feature Atom episodes? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thank you again for the info. Catch the Future!--Astrobuddy

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 3 years ago

I ordered #1-4, though the status of 3 of them has yet to be determined, as these are storefront items, and may have already been sold.

Did have trouble with user registration. It did not like the city being all uppercase. Indicated zip code did not match address. Took a while to figure it out.

Did look for "鉄腕アトムクラブ" at Amazon.co.jp, but found no books. :lol:

Thanks for the links, BrutalDawnFawn!

edit: oops! I did not see the smaller font year on the covers! All 4 are 1965.

It never did occur to me to try to get these. The book THE ILLUSTRATED MIGHTY ATOM (translated title)did have the 1st month's Chitan comics in it, & the bibliography listed the source, which at the time I checked, was available on Amazon.co.jp. But, I was not confident it would have what I sought.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

PROBABLY OUGHT TO MAKE A NEW THREAD, JUST ON THE MIGHTY ATOM CLUB BOOKS.

Just received 1966/04, all of 800 Yen's worth. Cover falling off; a few pages appear stained, but all seem readable.

Earth Defense Squad / Moon Monsters, & much more! Has a few pages on Equatorial Africa, about 60 40 text/ images.

76 pages counting cover.

BrutalDawnFawn
Kokoro Robot

Postby BrutalDawnFawn » 3 years ago

jeffbert wrote:PROBABLY OUGHT TO MAKE A NEW THREAD, JUST ON THE MIGHTY ATOM CLUB BOOKS.
Just received 1966/04, all of 800 Yen's worth. Cover falling off; a few pages appear stained, but all seem readable.
Earth Defense Squad / Moon Monsters, & much more! Has a few pages on Equatorial Africa, about 60 40 text/ images.
76 pages counting cover.

Oh neat-o! :D Great deal for that I'd say, even for the condition. Currently scanning Ti-Tan (Chiitan) - Part 2 and cleaning up the pages :astro:
Tetsuwan Penguin wrote:I've never seen Atom drawn in color with green eyes, only brown (except in third party bootleg comics, or fan art). I guess Tezuka / Mushi did depict him that way though.

Yeah, it's quite strange. Although the Mighty Atom Club chapters of Atom and other properties were drawn by different artists instead of Tezuka.
Like the Robot Fortress manga chapter is drawn by Kitano Hideaki, according to the translation I have. Maybe it's the certain style the artist used or they went off model by mistake. :lol: Leo (Kimba the White Lion) is also drawn with green eyes when they're brown in the other manga chapters (or blue in the 60s anime).
ASTROBUDDY wrote:Thank you BrutalDawnFawn! Since the prices are reasonable (if the exchange rate I googled is correct!) and the condition is not too bad I may get one or two. ( depending again on the condition.) I only own the November, 1964 issue.

For their age, they're not too bad! price, condition and all :P It made me very happy to finally own some. The ones I have ordered are fairly used/with creases and small tears in the staples, but are fairly clean and still fully together.
You're welcome! I've figured when I did research on these vintages magazines, The info on astro boy chapters seemed scarce and needed to be explored. These chapters deserve not to be forgotten :lol: Oh, I just checked the info on the TezukainEnglish site, which is wrong, it doesn't state that March-May 1965 has "The Moon Monsters" (Earth Defense Squad) comic in them, split into 3 parts.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

I am a little confused, Jeffbert. You state you have the April, 1966 issue featuring "Earth Defense Squadron", but I think you mean the April 1965 issue.

I have updated my thread on the Mighty Atom series (if case you missed it) because using the guides available at the time I believed that the March, April, May 1965 issues had no Atom manga because none were listed. (I wasn't the only one who made that conclusion if you check out the entry on the Mighty Atom Club series at the Tezuka in English website.)

Now thanks to BrutalDawnFawn (and your expert knowledge of Astro Boy episodes) we now know that the issues which did not show up on any of the lists actually have manga based on aired anime episodes that had aired prior to their manga adaptations. As BrutalDawnFawn has pointed out these episodes were not drawn by Dr. Tezuka but by his assistants which is probably another reason why they are not included in any of the guides. --Astrobuddy

I :heart: :astro: :) Go, Go, Go!-- Catch the future

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Atom and young Leo are on the cover; oh, it is 1965/04. I assumed it was 1966, if not, then that will be shipped soon. My scanner does not work well with unsupported W7, so, I am thinking it is time to go W10. Still backing up data drive.
Last edited by jeffbert on Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Oh, the plastic wrapper fit so tightly, that I was not sure how to open it. Used xacto knife along top edge. Still could not find any other way.

Just paid for

Mushi Production Friends of Astro Boy (Tetsuwan Atom) Club 1965/02 6502
Quantity: 1
Mushi Production Friends of Astro Boy (Tetsuwan Atom) Club 1965/03 6503
Mushi Production Friends of Astro Boy (Tetsuwan Atom) Club 1965/01 6501
Shop Item ID: gcs-vin-00IUG1OX
Mushi Production Friends of Astro Boy (Tetsuwan Atom) Club 1966/06 6606
Shop Item ID: gcs-vin-00IUFXFT

====

jeffbert
Minister of Science

just received: 1965/05. Along the edge of the cover is "昭和四十年" which = 1965

much better condition than 1965/04; both have Earth Defense Army / Moon Monsters; stuff about Africa, & more.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Well, Jeffbert! Looks like you will soon have the complete "Earth Defense Squadron/Moon Monsters" manga adaptation. It also looks like you received these items very quickly. One thing how much of the story is in the April issue?--Astrobuddy

I :heart: :astro: :) ; Go, Go,Go! "Catch the Futre!"

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”