Identifying manga chapter name

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
BrutalDawnFawn
Kokoro Robot

Identifying manga chapter name

Postby BrutalDawnFawn » 3 years ago

I had gotten some vintage Mighty Atom Club Magazines and noticed that some chapters may not have been re-released in English.

I am wondering if anyone here recognizes this story from a certain manga chapter/anime episode. The main plot appears to be about humans vs. robots.

If anyone does recognize it, what's the title?
This is from the June 1966 issue.
I'm only posting the first 3 pages here due to copyright. For identification purposes
https://mega.nz/folder/gH4E1IpI#O25fOHjuhvksaCQ9aAhluA

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Re: Identifying manga chapter name

Postby Strange Wings » 3 years ago

:) Very interesting, this seems to be some rare stuff. As far as I can tell, these pages seem to be excerpts of a special edition by Tezuka's Mushi Productions. I didn't recognize any resemblance with the official manga stories though (at least not from the Dark Horse english releases). It doesn't appear to have a title as well, other than "Tetsuwan Atomu". Maybe Jeffbert knows more about the origins of these pages?

The vertical text on the 3rd page's left side says:
"The special edition "World's Mushi Productions" contains 23 pages. Read them carefully, so Mushi Productions becomes stronger!"

The Japanese phrasing of the title is somewhat weird, it reads 'sekai no mushipuro'. I wonder if they'd rather meant 'mushipuro no sekai', meaning 'The World Of Mushi Productions'? This would make more sense. :unsure:
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 3 years ago

Hi! Astrobuddy here! In a magazine article I have that features a history of the "Mighty Atom Club" magazine it shows the June, 1966 issue as having a cover that features Atom's baby brother, Ti-Tan (or Chi-tan, as some might better know him). Interesting is I've searched all episode guides I have and there seems to be no listing for an Atom manga story in that issue. Below is the cover of that issue. Is this the issue you have found those pages in? My guess then is that the pages are from an installment of the last part of the Ti-Tan origin story. (Even though the manga episode guide @ the Tezuka Osamu website lists the Ti-Tan story as ending in the 5/66 issue.)

MIGHTY ATOM CLUB COVER FEATURING TI-TAN.jpg
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB COVER FEATURING TI-TAN.jpg (127.29 KiB) Viewed 3053 times

BrutalDawnFawn
Kokoro Robot

Yep :astro:
It's from the June '66 issue.

On the cover, some of the text says that it contains 2 stories : Mighty Atom and Jungle Emperor. (Although in reality, it's half of 2 stories)

The Chiitan (Ti-tan) story still begins in the April issue and ends with May. I happen to have the april '66 issue as well to show that it does but I still don't have May yet (It's coming in the mail). So I guess I can't confirm yet if it ends in the may issue or continues into the june issue.
https://mega.nz/folder/AHph1JYZ#jmsAg0ZqF9Pjmltqu0GSYA (Scanned Cover and 1st Page of the chi-tan story)
(At the end of the first part of the story, it says at the bottom: "To be continued in the May issue")

So, huh... yeah. :D I guess I thought that the story in the june issue came from an anime episode that I haven't seen (such as the manga stories of Jungle Devil Boundary and Earth Defense Force). So maybe its a completely new story or part of the Chii-tan story).

Strange Wings wrote:The Japanese phrasing of the title is somewhat weird, it reads 'sekai no mushipuro'. I wonder if they'd rather meant 'mushipuro no sekai', meaning 'The World Of Mushi Productions'? This would make more sense. :unsure:

Yeah, I don't know either! :unsure: I asked someone else and they said the same thing about the translation.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 3 years ago

Those panels are apparently manga versions of episode #90, Robot Fortress (81, Mystery of Amless Dam) Mason's boy had an argument with Piko-chan (has spring sticking out), and an anti-robot madness ensued.

Wonderful find, though!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Where can I get one of these?

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Wow! You actually own the "Ti-Tan" stories! I didn't know they were available, yet alone still existed! They must have cost you a pretty penny as they are one of two manga stories that have never been reprinted. Also the manga story in the June issue is not referenced any where. (At least not in any guide I have seen.) But looking at the pages again it is clear that this is a new story. I only recognize one character from the pages and I believe he is the character who was killed in the last 1960s anime episode. I think he is supposed the president of the robot community or something like that. Unfortunately my Japanese is very limited or I could try to translate the article on the Mighty Atom Club magazine and see if it mentions what is possibly the final Atom manga in the Club magazine.--Astrobuddy.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Boy, you're good, Jeffbert! I had not even finished my post when you already had the answer. Yes for some reason it appears "The Robot Fortress/Mystery of the Amless Dam" story was adapted into a manga form and published into this issue. Kudos!--Astrobuddy

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I aim to please.

BrutalDawnFawn
Kokoro Robot

jeffbert wrote:Those panels are apparently manga versions of episode #90, Robot Fortress (81, Mystery of Amless Dam) Mason's boy had an argument with Piko-chan (has spring sticking out), and an anti-robot madness ensued.

Wonderful find, though!

Thanks! I do appreciate it. Going by the pattern of these manga chapters in these magazines having an anime counterpart, I thought it would be. Now I know what to call it! :D

I had ordered some off of Mandarake - https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/listPage/list?keyword=%E9%89%84%E8%85%95%E3%82%A2%E3%83%88%E3%83%A0%E3%82%AF%E3%83%A9%E3%83%96&lang=en
They ship internationally as far as I'm aware (due to Covid-19, only DHL Express is available atm in most countries)

So far, they have in stock: January 1965 (Second half of Jungle Devil Boundary (ep. 102 "Queen of the Devils’ Place" / ep. 93 "Jungle Mystery")) https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1139528337&ref=list&keyword=%E9%89%84%E8%85%95%E3%82%A2%E3%83%88%E3%83%A0%E3%82%AF%E3%83%A9%E3%83%96&lang=en
and April 1965 & May 1965 I've discovered that ep. 56 "Chikyuu bouei tai" 地球防衛隊) (Earth Defense Army) (ep. 32 The Moon Monsters was also adapted into a manga chapter. http://www.phoenix.to/mushi/atom65-4.htmlhttps://twitter.com/Acky_phoenix/status/1251859190986846209

They sometimes show up once a month or so on Yahoo Japan Auctions or https://www.kosho.or.jp/ (I'm on the lookout for them because I'm looking for the Jungle Emperor chapters that are exclusive) :P

ASTROBUDDY wrote:Wow! You actually own the "Ti-Tan" stories! I didn't know they were available, yet alone still existed! They must have cost you a pretty penny as they are one of two manga stories that have never been reprinted. Also the manga story in the June issue is not referenced any where. (At least not in any guide I have seen.) But looking at the pages again it is clear that this is a new story. I only recognize one character from the pages and I believe he is the character who was killed in the last 1960s anime episode. I think he is supposed the president of the robot community or something like that. Unfortunately my Japanese is very limited or I could try to translate the article on the Mighty Atom Club magazine and see if it mentions what is possibly the final Atom manga in the Club magazine.--Astrobuddy.

Oh thanks! I was ecstatic when I got them! :D :astro: Yeah, I don't recognize any of the characters here, so thank you for the info! Lamp shows up later in the chapter, that's the only other character I recognize. I'm not an astro boy expert, I just have surfaced level knowledge at best. :lol: I have commissioned these panels to be translated but I could share them so you can look over the translation for a second opinion.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”