Astro on DVD?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Fudgy
Kokoro Robot

Postby Fudgy » 21 years ago

Hi.

I'm new to the forums, but definitely not new to Astro. I'm in Australia and, as I'm sure is the case in other countries, Astroboy was released on video spanning 17 volumes. I was wondering if anyone out there knows if there are plans for him to be released on DVD. It happened with one of my other favourites (Battle of the Planets) and so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it could happen to Astro too. I would have thought it would have been something else they did for his birthday, but alas, twas not the case.

Pat

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

I have obtained a copy of the 1st of 2 Japanese / English subtitled DVD set. I also have the complete* English dubbed version on VHS. Comparing the two, I first see that the DVD has 52 episodes, one of which has had portions of it edited in to two of the English version's episodes. The overall sequence also differs between the English VHS and Japanese DVD, also some of the music is different. But back to that second episode: It occurs between "The Birth of Astroboy" and "The Robot Circus", and includes the part where he is on the ship that nearly sinks via iceberg. The VHS English dubbed version leaves the viewer wondering about two things:
1. Why was the ship headed toward the iceberg in the first place?
2. Why did Astroboy go 'sleepwalking?' (1st episode vhs/ 2nd DVD).

The DVD answers both of those questions. I found it sufficiently different from the VHS, that it held my attention very well. Besides that, I always use the Japanese audio and English subtitles.

*This entire episode except the noted scenes is missing from the VHS.

I am eager for the 2nd season on DVD! :wahah:

Triple
Kokoro Robot

Postby Triple » 21 years ago

There are some Astro dvds selling on ebay - but they only sell the first 26 episodes.
Strangely enough, there's one that's started bidding at US $1.99 which really is just a case of 'wtf?!'. Astroboy's not worth that little!! <_<
Although i must say, it is one hell of a bargain...

:wacko:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”