Kimba the White Lion and Astroboy

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

:huh: The forum became unavailable while I was working on this topic, but here it is:

:wahah: I just saw the first two discs of the new Kimba DVD set, and Astroboy appeared in episodes on both. In the first one (episode 4, I think) Kimba goes to Paris France with :wahah: Daddy Walrus (although he only goes by his proper name, Mr. Pompus). :lol: As they are touring the city, they walk past a display of "Future Robots", that has an inanimate Astroboy on the very end of the line.
The other one has hunters sitting in a tent watching an Astroboy cartoon on tv. I really cracked up. Both Astroboy and Kimba share the same facial features, and the English dubs share Billie Lou Watt's voice, and here is the Kimba series bowing to its predecessor series!

Moreover the Robot Circus ringmaster Catchatorie is here as Viper Snakely, the big game hunter, who kills Kimba's father, and returns in later episodes for more trouble.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

Yeah, Tezuka did that a lot in his stories. In the 80s episode 'The Time Machine', Dr Roget and his assistant Penny were from Black Jack. Princess Saphira was the main character from Ribbon No Kenshi, and Detective Rock appeared in various comics, including the original Astroboy manga of 'The Girl From Alsoar'. Gore's assistant Puko was from something else (can't remember what), and Gore himself was a characture of Tezuka. Darth Vader appeared as himself. :D

I just bought the DVD of Black Jack. In it, Black Jack's assistant Pinnoco was doing a jigsaw puzzle of Ribbon No Kenshi and the Phoenix (another of Tezuka's stories - it appears in the flash introduction on tezuko.co.jp). Later on she was finishing a jigsaw of Astroboy!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I am now looking at the #1 manga, and the "The Girl From Alsoar" appears to be titled, "The Plant People"; moreover, it appears to be a 'boy', as though plants had sexes. I do not know anything about the other series you mention, but thanks for your response.

ColdRage
Kokoro Robot

Postby ColdRage » 21 years ago

Excuse my ignorance but who or what is Kimba? :huh:
†..ColdRage..†

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Kimba is Tezuka's first color cartoon series

Here is the lyrics to his theme song: Kimba.org

He shares Astroboys face and voice (60s).

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@May 4 2003, 08:09 AM
I am now looking at the #1 manga, and the "The Girl From Alsoar" appears to be titled, "The Plant People"; moreover, it appears to be a 'boy', as though plants had sexes. I do not know anything about the other series you mention, but thanks for your response.

Ah yes of course. My mind was stuck on the 80s series title. :D

I'm sure it's a girl though. Check out the eyelashes.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

The eyelashes are found on both women and little kids. Astro Boy has them, and they are noticable in many closeups: Image

Moreover, if you watch closely, you will note that only women and children are frequently shown blinking their eyes. The men rarely blink.

i_love_astro_boy
Kokoro Robot

Postby i_love_astro_boy » 20 years ago

he is sooooooooooooooooo cute :)
ImageHe is sooooooooooo sexy

tinlunlau
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby tinlunlau » 20 years ago

And don't forget Popeye popped up (bad pun) in "My Son Goku"

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”