Where are those points supposed to be?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

Does anyone know what Astroboy's points are called? I think the one in front should be a pompadour, but would the one in back be a cowlick or what? Moreover, just where are these points supposed to be? I have seen them switch sides, even appear as though they were ears. In the Robot Vikings, they are the ears to Atomu's dog costume, and in the closing credits to the B & W, series, he is shown from above as he blasts into the air, and they are as ears. :lol:

tokyo21
Kokoro Robot

Postby tokyo21 » 21 years ago

Jeffbert,
Is just stylized hair I thinkm I don't think that they are suppose to have a name (or logic since they are just like adjusting depending on the angle). I think that this unique feature that makes Astro stand out is one of the major problems that everybody has been facing to make Astro in 3D or Real life action, Imean, from the beguinning is just supposed to work on a 2D world, it makes Astro unique but also a pain in the neck to animate :)

Breakman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Breakman » 21 years ago

I don't know if this is answering your question, jeffbert, but Tezuka based Astro's hair on his "morning hair". You know what I'm talking about, the messy hair you get when you wake up in the morning. ^_^ So, Astro's hair isn't a style but just messed up hair. ;^^

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Thanks, guys. But as I stated, the points are on a metal head that ought not to change, except in case of damage. But those points are sometimes in different locations. Usually, the one in front (the pompadour) is over Atomu's left eye, and the one in back, behind his right ear. But this is not constant. Watch the Robot Vikings, see as they become the ears to Atomu's puppy-dog costume! I find this episode among the funniest (cutest) I have seen. I love October 31st, because all the little ones are knocking on my door wearing cute costumes. Also the gag with the dog making the sign of the cross struck me as truly hilarious. :wahah:

If those points are as sharp as they appear to be, they would also be weapons. But I have never seen him damage anything with a turn of his head. B)

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

I've been given an Astroboy action figure and an Astroboy soft toy, and they both have his "horns" as cone shapes attached to his head. It's hard to explain the angle, they point slightly backwards and when you look at him face-on the silhouette is just like in the cartoon.

Here's an interesting bit from the 80s series, the only bit I can remember where the points on his head are actually mentioned.

/digs around for screenshot

Okay, this is from The Transformation Robot. The guy in the picture is Snare, who works for Mandrake the Fourth (remember that guy with the funny voice?).

Anyway, Snare shoots Buck's dad, and then tells Buck that his dad was kidnapped by "a robot with horns on his head like this". (meaning Astro)

I remember seeing this when I was little and thinking "Astro's horns don't look anything like that!".

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I remember it well. Check these pics, though:
It appears that the front point is over his right eye.
Image ;)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I just received Dark Horse manga numbers 2-4. Number 2 has Osamu himself explaining the inconsistent number of fingers either four or five on Atom's hands, page 104, and page 105 refers to the spikes on his hair, and how "they never appear to overlap". No reference to which side they appear, though. :lol:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Hehe, yeah I was reading that recently and I had planned to scan it and upload the image here to show you. You beat me to it!

Here it is for those readers who haven't got around to buying the manga yet. :-)

I remember one scene from the 80s series where there was a shot of Astro's head as he was walking toward the "camera". He was looking from side to side, I think he was looking for Uran. Anyway, the spikes on his head were sliding all over the place, switching from side to side every time he turned his head. I've racked my brain trying to remember which episode this was from and hopefully post an animated GIF of it. I don't think it was Uran's Twin, although he was looking for her in that episode. I wonder if you or Mark can recall what episode it was from.

By the way jeffbert, why do you refer to Astro as Atomu? I know this is a more accurate translation of the Japanese, but he is always called Astro/Astroboy/Astro Boy in the English translations (except for the recent Dark Horse manga of course). Were you introduced to him as Atomu, or are you simply a purist when it comes to his name?

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Originally posted by jeffbert@May 16 2003, 11:12 AM
Watch the Robot Vikings, see as they become the ears to Atomu's puppy-dog costume! I find this episode among the funniest (cutest) I have seen.

Here we go...

What can I say, I always get in an uploading mood when I visit this forum. :D

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”