Where are those points supposed to be?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Haruka-chan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Haruka-chan » 20 years ago

finally put some of my pictures together to help show where his points are....there are more to come. Since there are quite a few i put them in a zip file. It's about 490K. You can get it here:

http://www.chaoshouse.net/harukachan/misc/.../atompoints.zip
Kimi no kokoro de, catch the future!
[url=\'http://www.suanime.org\']SUAnime[/url]

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 20 years ago

Originally posted by Haruka-chan@Oct 28 2003, 11:05 AM

Taking the above into consideration it explains how Atom's points can look the way they do in the 60s ending as you mentioned before. Another thing is when the view is looking him straight on it explains how one point is not higher than the other and they both stick out --> \()/ LOL i'll put up pictures i have that show this better when i am at home not Uni ^^; Although in this view they are often tweaked and one is put higher than the other. To illustrate this here is a drawing i did of Atom recently:

http://www.arch.usyd.edu.au/~abel2906/atom.jpg

That's a cool drawing! Astro's so cute!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

[b] 
I remember one scene from the 80s series where there was a shot of Astro's head as he was walking toward the "camera". He was looking from side to side, I think he was looking for Uran. Anyway, the spikes on his head were sliding all over the place, switching from side to side every time he turned his head. I've racked my brain trying to remember which episode this was from and hopefully post an animated GIF of it. I don't think it was Uran's Twin, although he was looking for her in that episode. I wonder if you or Mark can recall what episode it was from.

I think I know the scene, he is listening with hands cupped behind ears, turning his head from side to side. I will see if I can find it[/b]

After such a long time, I think I have found the scene in question. It is on The crystal of the desert. Atom looks left then right or is it right then left several times. I did not notice anything weird about the front point, but the rear one seemed leap from one side to the other, as though the artists felt that both points had to be visible at all times.

Anyway, the thing is on disc 2. :lol:

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 20 years ago

Here are 2 pictures of Astro hair points.

Danny
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Danny » 20 years ago

OMG!! I can not believe how adorable Atom looks withought his Hair Points in that pic!! I mean he doesnt look like himself, but just WOW!!

When I was in High School (20 years ago) and Astro was on again, I too went thru the "just where the hell are those points supposed to be!??" delema. Now I was VERY GOOD @ ART back then (the class, not the 'skill' ;) and my art teacher seemed to love me so I had 'secret access' to the Art supplies and the art room. I eventually ended up making a near life size paper mache head of astro JUST to work out where the points might be.

Now I can guarentee that the final design I came up with was NOT what was inside Osama-san's imajination, but no matter what angle you looked at the head from, MOST (not all, obviously) actually had the points in almost the right spots.

I never kept the head (long story, but trust me I really wanted to) but I remember exactly what it looked like, so if I ever get hold of some 3d software I will try re-create it.

To re-iterate, the end product did not look ANYTHING like a 2d image of astro, but the points 'worked' realistically (mostly, anyway). With this experience learned I really feel for the poor designers who have to do the Astroboy movie, as in 3D they will NOT be able to make the points 'work'. I personally would like to see the points 'float' all over his head all the time depending on the camera angle just like the cartoons we are all so fond of, but I can't help but think that a 'fresh' autience would think that sux0red.

EDIT:
I just took a look at some Astro Models I have had forever and the points are portrayed as two cone-like protrusions attached to the head. One above the Right Eye and One at teh back of the skull on the opposite side. The cool thing is that I have two models and they are both different! A 'flying pose' has the point in the same location, but they are swept back as if from the wind. The other one is a normal 'stanting' pose, and the points are straigh out from the skull!

This would seem to show that Astros 'hair' is indeed NOT METAL!! Cos how could metal be blown around by the wind!?? :lol:

I will post some pics of these two models once I work out how to link to them if anyone is interested, so just let me know.

Also, I am sure some more of our fellow members here have toys etc of astro. If these people could take a look at the points on these and let us know where they are that would be cool!
three and a half years.. for what?

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 20 years ago

I'm looking at two toys now. One has the top point on the right and the back point on the left. The other toy is the opposite. But mostly, the top point is on the left and the back point is on the right on the other toys that I have.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 20 years ago

Let's go minimalist on this...

Anyone want to take this further? :D

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 20 years ago

Originally posted by Danny@Apr 13 2004, 12:21 PM
This would seem to show that Astros 'hair' is indeed NOT METAL!! Cos how could metal be blown around by the wind!?? :lol:

Indeed they are not metal, remember the first episode ? They are made of rubber ;)
However I don't know if it is soft enough to be moved by the wind ...
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Haruka-chan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Haruka-chan » 20 years ago

What about the first episode... which first episode :wacko: please specify.

Anyway i posted my point of view on this ages ago :lol: But to further help me consolidate what i think if you look at the older manga stories, the first ones Tezuka drew which all had a similiar style, you can see he drew the points more realistically. As the manga progressed they became more stylized so that if you try to re-create that in 3d it's impossible.

Particually good examples are the Rec Cat story... in volume 16 i think. It shows Atom wearing a cap and makes it easier to see where his points are coming from.

Also i don't think his points are made of rubber. Look at say.. the Robot Vikings episode how his spikes get mangled like metal. We have to remember this is only a cartoon/comic and that the artists always use visuals of physical impossible things to make a point, ie Atom's metal hair blowing in the wind so we realise how windy it is ^^
Kimi no kokoro de, catch the future!
[url=\'http://www.suanime.org\']SUAnime[/url]

Danny
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Danny » 20 years ago

Originally posted by DrFrag@Apr 14 2004, 12:34 AM
Let's go minimalist on this...

Anyone want to take this further? :D

EEvil MAN!!! ph34r him with gr34t ph34r!!

oh, and.. go for it..

:lol:
three and a half years.. for what?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”