Where are those points supposed to be?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
tokyo21
Kokoro Robot

Postby tokyo21 » 21 years ago

Hi guys,
I've been offline for a while, I'll try to catch up with the postings.
DrFrag, I also keep refering to him as Atomu, is just that I'm more use to the original Japanese versions, including all of the other characters names. They are starting to call him Tobio recently in the anime. I've seen some people trying to imitate Atomu's hair around Tokyo lately (only young people though) and is HARD!...can get it right I guess that you have to be twodimensional to pull it off.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

Astro
By the way jeffbert, why do you refer to Astro as Atomu? I know this is a more accurate translation of the Japanese, but he is always called Astro/Astroboy/Astro Boy in the English translations (except for the recent Dark Horse manga of course). Were you introduced to him as Atomu, or are you simply a purist when it comes to his name?
Several reasons, the first of which is that to me our little friend was always Astroboy as one word. Likewise, Astro was always the Jetsons' dog.Image. But beyond that, I type with one finger, and it is simply easier to write Atom or Atomu, than to write Astro Boy. Besides that, Atom expresses his purpose, the atom can be used for good or evil, which is more meaningful to me.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

I remember one scene from the 80s series where there was a shot of Astro's head as he was walking toward the "camera". He was looking from side to side, I think he was looking for Uran. Anyway, the spikes on his head were sliding all over the place, switching from side to side every time he turned his head. I've racked my brain trying to remember which episode this was from and hopefully post an animated GIF of it. I don't think it was Uran's Twin, although he was looking for her in that episode. I wonder if you or Mark can recall what episode it was from.

I think I know the scene, he is listening with hands cupped behind ears, turning his head from side to side. I will see if I can find it. B)

dennis_ian
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby dennis_ian » 20 years ago

one thing most common to japanesse animation and the most unique i should say is their hair. anime has been a model for fashion here in my place, hair fashion that is. seems to be odd and funny during those days but today its very quite common, fashionable and very much fascinationg.

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 20 years ago

This thread reminded me of the letters section of the american astroboy comics from the 80s, and since I recently got some new OCR software, I decided to scan a few to try it out.
NOW comics Astro-letters
Not perfect, but pretty decent for automatic conversion. They seem to look best if you set your browser's text-size to large.
I remember reading some interesting discussion about Astro's hair. I've only scanned 5 comics in so-far, and haven't found that particular conversation. If anyone's interested I'd be happy to scan the rest of them in. Maybe it'd spark some new threads here.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 20 years ago

I think I know the scene, he is listening with hands cupped behind ears, turning his head from side to side. I will see if I can find it.

I think you're right, and I hope you do. :)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I noted a difference in the style in which Atom is drawn, but cannot exactly identify it. On the left, Tezuka's art, on the right, American:

Image Image new pic

I think the American version has larger eyes, and that it also has bigger hair on the forehead. Straight lines also where Tezuka uses curves, and only 4 eye lashes. :lol: I like Tezuka's better.

Imagepic

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 20 years ago

Yeah, the comics themselves seemed a bit too melodramatic and sappy aswell. Some of the covers look pretty nifty, Ken Steacy's coloring is really detailed.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Yeah, the comics themselves seemed a bit too melodramatic and sappy aswell. Some of the covers look pretty nifty, Ken Steacy's coloring is really detailed.

That makes me glad that I was outbid a few months ago, when 12 or so comics were offered via eBay. I find the manga very entertaining; but wonder just how many there are. # 21 should be released soon, Each one contains several serialized adventures each of which was published in magazines or newspapers over a few months. Alas, I suspect there will only be a few more. :cry: :cry: :( :(

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 20 years ago

I picked up the first 13 in the series on EBay for US$11. There were a few days left on the auction and I couldn't believe I wasn't outbid. Then when they arrived they were in mint condition, individually sealed and against cardboard backings. In a box with bubble wrap and air cushion packs. B)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”