"READY TO THROW DOWN"

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

I know the one you mean, jeffbert. :-)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

That is it. I am 44 going 45. I take it that because you concentrate on the 80s anime, you are much younger than I. That being the case, have you even seen "Silent Running"?

BTW, thanks for the pic. I know I have it somewhere on my HD, but after searching the other day, found it not. And my pics are arranged by tape: each tape has its own folder/directory, and I had an approximate idea of where to look. <_<

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Yeah, I'm 27 - second generation Astro fan. :-)

I haven't heard of Silent Running. Sounds like a submarine movie.

I started making an Astro web site but I sort of gave up after finding there was another two animated series and a couple of comic series - I wanted it to be comprehensive!
But I did take 1700+ screenshots so I have plenty to draw on when people are after pictures here.

Loüßëãr
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Loüßëãr » 21 years ago

:) I am a huge Astro 80's fan but anything "Astro-fied" I luv. I am 29 and although hubby dumps on astro ( he prefers Marine boy <_< ) I think that its pretty hard to top the ATOM. BTW, I am asuming you got your pics from the series that you have on your pc, how do you get your pics so clear? I was after a pic of the buildings behind astro at the end of the title sequence as a backgound for my project but the file i have(d/l from this site) wont play in a larger screen & i need it bigger(800x500 pixels). I have a few different graphic programs & of course since its a small pic to start with its all boxy & :cry: out of focus.
the reason I wanted the background is so he could fly & land in front of them. I could draw the building that he stands in frount of :unsure: i think ;) but any tips on how to get a better quality pic of this would be foreva apreciated.
BTW, you are going to get a great big plug(thankyou, praise, wateva u wanna call it) when i finish this thing cuz the pics you have posted have helped me sooooooo much :wub: :wahah: ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY ANAPAN & DR FRAG :D :lol: B) If i could Id kiss ya ;)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I haven't heard of Silent Running. Sounds like a submarine movie.

It is a really cool sci-fi film starring Bruce Dern and these

three little robots. This page also gives brief synopsis of the film. :lol: Anyway, after years of pollution, earth is unfit for forrests. So, they plant them in a huge spaceship, to which Bruce Dern's character dovotes his life. However... (I will refrain from spoiling it here). The robots help him care for the forrests, and waddle along, watering the plants, etc. If you get the chance, see this film.

Now you should better appreciate the Image, except that I now see that the resembelence is not as strong as I thought it was. :cry: Maybe the joke had no intention of spoofing anything; just the absurd appearance of the robot with Atom's appendages. What kind of a robot would be dumb enough to trade functional parts for non-functional, anyway.

On another subject, in the 80s "...Mayas" episode, Atom is the back seat passenger of a car. Something attacks it, it careens off the road, and bursts into flames. Atom emerges, brushes the flaming clothes away, and looks for the attacker. Question: Who was driving the car? and what became of him? No mention is made of the driver! :wahah:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

I am a huge Astro 80's fan but anything "Astro-fied" I luv. I am 29 and although hubby dumps on astro ( he prefers Marine boy )

Hehe, my wife tolerates my Astro addiction. In fact, she organised an Astro birthday cake for me last year. But I think she was expecting me to change when we got married - she announced she was prepared to give up being such a huge fan of Robert Smith from The Cure. :-)

BTW, I am asuming you got your pics from the series that you have on your pc, how do you get your pics so clear?

The 320x240 pics I've been posting are screen captured from the PAL VHS tapes. My capture programme takes them at 704x576. I crop the black bits around the border, which is usually a few pixels thick. Then I use Paintshop Pro and use a soften filter to remove the interlacing. I increase the colour saturation and contrast, then add an edge enhance filter to undo some of the blurring cause by the soften filter. This usually causes too much edge enhancing, but when I scale it down to 320x240 it comes out alright. What a hassle, hey?

The big pictures at the start of this thread were taken from the DVDs. Slight cropping and resizing, but no other effects added.

I was after a pic of the buildings behind astro at the end of the title sequence as a backgound for my project but the file i have(d/l from this site) wont play in a larger screen & i need it bigger(800x500 pixels). I have a few different graphic programs & of course since its a small pic to start with its all boxy & out of focus.

Yeah, that's a tricky one if you want the background only. There's not much view of them under Astro's leg jets and it's really hard to get good screenshots if the background is moving.

... 41 minutes later ... you're gonna love this ...

Here is my tip on getting a good quality picture of the background. Ah the joy of crystal clear DVD! :wahah:

------------

except that I now see that the resembelence is not as strong as I thought it was.

I think it's quite striking actually.

On another subject, in the 80s "...Mayas" episode, Atom is the back seat passenger of a car. Something attacks it, it careens off the road, and bursts into flames. Atom emerges, brushes the flaming clothes away, and looks for the attacker. Question: Who was driving the car? and what became of him? No mention is made of the driver!

Astro appears to have been driving. I just took a look at it and there is definately only one person in the car. The form is kind of vague, but the profile silhouette could pass as Astro. I don't know if this means he's learnt to drive since his days as the human Toby, or if he crashed it again because he still hasn't learnt to drive!

One thing puzzles me about that episode. The pyramid guardian is a sphinx. But the sphinx is an Egyptian icon, and the pyramid is a Mayan one.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Astro appears to have been driving. I just took a look at it and there is definately only one person in the car. The form is kind of vague, but the profile silhouette could pass as Astro. I don't know if this means he's learnt to drive since his days as the human Toby, or if he crashed it again because he still hasn't learnt to drive!

I will take another look, but I am certain there was an adult in the front seat, and a child in the back. I could only see silhouttes, though. <_<

One thing puzzles me about that episode. The pyramid guardian is a sphinx. But the sphinx is an Egyptian icon, and the pyramid is a Mayan one.

Perhaps the creators' knowledge of history was somewhat fuzzy. Or perhaps they did not care. ;)

Loüßëãr
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Loüßëãr » 21 years ago

:wahah: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wahah: OH Dr frag wat would i do without u you are a lifesaver. this pic is perfect do you mind if i crop & use it?? I cant wait to get dvd on this paperweight.......I mean computer :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”