Comparisons between Manga, 60s anime, 80s anime

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

I have started a table that lists episodes, and character names of the stories as they appear in the various incarnations. When I have enough to make a respectable presentation, I will upload to a website.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

Good stuff. I started the same thing a couple of years ago, but so far it's only comprehensive for the 80s series. Perhaps when I've collected the information I need from the mangas and 60s series we can compare work.

Actually the lack of consistency amongst versions of Astroboy used to frustrate me, like the different versions of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. But now I find it really interesting how Tezuka refined his stories and "recycled" characters. I've just finished reading volumes 7 and 8 of the Dark Horse manga and they contain another version of the birth of Astroboy. The more I read the more interested I get!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Another version of the 'birth'? Does it have any more details about the robot circus than the one in #1 has? You say "they contain..." is the version spread accross the two volumes? I am awaiting delivery of #5-7, and they will likely arrive within the next few days. Need I buy #8 to finish a story started in #7?

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

Yes, there's a whole re-telling of the robot circus story in volume 7. Actually, it's more of a fleshing-out of the brief mention of it in volume 1, and was written 8 years earlier. There a few differences from the 60s and 80s retelling of it, especially in the characters. I won't spoil any of it for you. Overall, volume 7 is my favourite of the mangas I've read so far. The emotional telling of it is great, as Astro has to survive through a lot of hardship during the the period before robot rights were established.

Volumes 6 to 8 mostly contain a story called "Once Upon A Time" Astroboy Tales, where Astro goes back in time to the 1960s and has to survive through to the era he came from. This is broken down into several stories per book, but they follow on from each other so I would read them in order. The stories are somewhat self-contained.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Thanks. :wahah:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I just received mangas 8-10. It will be some time before I buy #15. Thanks for the preview. :lol:

I just finished reading #8, and see the similarities and differences between "Goliath's Head" and "the faceless robot". A bit different, but entertaining because of it.

Volume 8 put Atom's 'age' at 12, and school grade at 5th. I think that he appears much younger than 12, though. Page 10 of volume 9 Osamu says that he depicted him as taller/older, and sales declined until he returned to drawing him as "a cute little kid again." I think age 9 certainly qualifies as cute little kid, but 12 is too tall and slender, rather than short and round for one who is a cute little kid. Moreover a 12 year-old's head has almost certainly become more of an adult-shaped oval than a cute little kid's round face. Atom is clearly a short-round, round-faced little kid in the story started in volume 6 and ending in volume 8. Page 9 of volume 6 says that the story ran "January 24- December 23 1967 in the Sankei newspaper."

I am going to wait a while (I hope) before reading "the Secret of the Egyptian Conspirators", I want to make these two volumes last a while. I will probably view the 'Cleopatra' episodes that I have on tape, so I can better note the similarities and differences! :D

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I would have thought they would grow up and have kids of their own by then!? :o It will be awhile before I get to manga 11.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”