FTP server

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

I've just finished downloading the episode 1 fansub. It took me two weeks on a modem.

Your patience is commendable! I have had cable internet for about a year now, but remember all the times when dial-up gave me trouble. I could not connect, I lost my connection, etc. I share the thing with another person, and have a Linksys router, so, we split the cost. If I said it was 20 times faster than 56K, I would be close. :D

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I really love the new way his leg jets activate,

I agree, this is far more believable than any previous method. With the first episode of the 80s series simply showing the foot folding into the leg, but giving no idea of where it went when the jets were the entire diameter of the leg! Now, with smaller diameter jets that allow stowage room for the feet, it seems at least more convincing than before. :D The manga and 60s anime both make it appear more magical than technological, but if we were to start nit picking here, where would we stop?

However, the short-arm weapon that he uses in episodes 6 & 7, seems implausible. Not only is there a jet in his forearm, but the whole forearm collapses as an antenna into the upper-arm to expose the weapon. While it is cool, it is far from convincing. There is simply too much in such a small area. He has such great physical strength, a jet, and a super weapon! :( Oh, well, it might not be as much fun if it were too realistic.

dumberto
Kokoro Robot

Postby dumberto » 21 years ago

Hello,
I've got all the 80's dubbed episodes captured to good quality VCD(from the videos)except for Robot Vikings. If anyone is interested in trading for this episode let me know. I'm in Australia.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

Did you find more than ep 1 subtitled? If so, using which file-sharing app?

Fansubs of eps 1 and 2 are on Anapan's ftp site.

I've got all the 80's dubbed episodes captured to good quality VCD(from the videos)except for Robot Vikings. If anyone is interested in trading for this episode let me know. I'm in Australia.

Robot Vikings was the one you missed from having a bad tape, wasn't it? Leave me a personal message or e-mail and I'll help you out.

I started getting worried about my tape deterioration last year so I've been encoding all mine to CD. I've just finished doing Robot Vikings at high quality (Divx 4, 512x368, 1500 bitrate, 256k MP3 audio).

dumberto
Kokoro Robot

Postby dumberto » 21 years ago

Hello DrFrag

tried to leave you an email and PM did you get it ?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I'll see about uploading what episodes I have tomorrow. I'm just waiting for the new month to start so my speed limits can be lifted

Have you done so? If so, please specify the URL. :o

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Originally posted by dumberto@Jul 7 2003, 01:38 PM
Hello DrFrag

tried to leave you an email and PM did you get it ?

I've been in Sydney for the past few days so sorry for the delay. I've sent you an e-mail.

Speaking of which, I did some Astro shopping. There's a massive bookstore on George Street in Sydney called Kinokuniya. The place is HUGE, it's bigger than some entire shopping malls in Adelaide.

I picked up volumes 14-16 of the Astro manga which I haven't seen here yet. Also, they were only $15 and in Adelaide they start at $22. On top of that, they were having a sale and I got another 20 percent off!

There was also an anime store in the same shopping centre that had a few Astroboy keyrings and models, some quite large.

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 21 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Jul 6 2003, 08:48 PM
Have you done so? If so, please specify the URL. :o

I believe he finished uploading them all, you can get them here:
ftp://ast:ast@142.179.63.219:6872/video_eps/80s/
They're the ones which have the tape and episode numbers in {}'s

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

I just uploaded the first 18MB of the 18.5MB Astroboy anime music video. My dial-up connection timed out and I had to reconnect. Now it won't let me append to the file, presumably because I'm on a different IP address.

Pleeeeeeeeeease tell me I don't have to upload the first 18MB again? Is it possible to change the access rights on the file?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Pleeeeeeeeeease tell me I don't have to upload the first 18MB again? Is it possible to change the access rights on the file?

I too, have had the download stall right in the middle, and when I tried to resume, it wanted a user name and password.

So, having had so much trouble with finding and downloading subtitled stuff, I have just ordered a copy of JapaneseNow! V9 Deluxe, and hope to have at least a rudementry grasp of spoken Japanese before the fall semester starts.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”