Review of new series

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

I must agree about the quality; yet, as I said about over-anticipating a thing that one would otherwise have found quite pleasing, I still insist this can be true of certain people. Surely you must have seen one or more of those highly anticipated motion pictures. Say Star Wars The Phanton Menace, as an example. Millions were standing, many were camping out in line for tickets. These people had so much anticipation that the show could not possibly be as good as they dreamed it would be. But for us normal people, we thought it was just fine. Certainly not the greatest film, but better than just ok, and far from lousy. Take chocolate cake. If you spend all day thinking about your birthay party tomorrow, and how yummy the cake will be, chances are that you will be disappointed by the reality. Striving for a thing can be as satisfying if not more satisfying than actually acheiving the thing.

Let us use Homer Simpson as an example. He had long dreamed of bowling a perfect game, and when he finally did, he could think of no other goal worth striving for.

As I already said, I am very pleased with the new series. As much as I enjoyed every time Atom opened fire with his dual machine guns, and as much as I miss them, I do appreciate the opportunity the new series creators gave him to be a kid. I speak of his humanity, or perhaps I should say human qualities. When he saw the game, he immediately jumped right into the middle of it. Just like a little kid who does not understand the rules. If you have not yet sees ep 4, when you do, you will see another example of him just being a kid. BTW Light Ray Robot features prominantly in this ep. Anyway, it seems that the 80s series made too much emphasis on hero stuff. Ok, he was seen in school, and at the race track, etc. The B&W had him going on vacation, going to school, etc, but those occasions were too few. In the new series, it seems that he becomes the hero while pursuing other intersts. In one, he goes on a field trip with his classmates.

But then there is his status as a ward of the state. Without parents, he surely lacks some of the warmth that all previous incarnations had. Living with Ochanomizu just does not cut it. According to the official site, the very first manga adventure was about the creation of his parents. Manga by alphabetical order, page 2. There is something about the new series that I cannot identify, but that does make it very appealing. Perhaps if I watch a few eps, it will become clear. He has no energy cassetes this time, but instead of bending over, he takes fuel diectly into his heart. So that part is cute, but not really as cute as the original location of his refuelling port.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”