Review of new series

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

Here's a good review of the new Astroboy series:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/reviews/di...play.php?id=483

Having seen the first episode, I have to agree with this review entirely.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

Thanks for the link. I have seen and heard (subtitles) the first 4 eps (5-8 now available via eBay and pirates), and seen 5-14. (I am still trying to learn Japanese) I am not an especailly observant guy, and if a thing lack flashing lights, I usually overlook it. So, the philosophical stuff went by unnoticed.

What I did notice was a focus on Atom's humanity, or perhaps I should say, human-like qualities. Eps 13 and 14 show the relationship between Atom and Uran, including petty arguments and love. 14 is especailly touching, because Uran becomes infected with a memory munching parasite, and there is a scene in which Atom's nanorobot Alfalfa/Titan sees her memories represented as bubbles, many of which are bursting as the parasite munches away.

Ep 3 or 4, I think 4, shows Atom at school, and he also meets a much younger version of the light-ray robot. The relationships between him and his human schoolmates, even Meany (Alvin) accepts him as a pal.

Of courese, there is the really cute "can I play, too" scenes in ep 1. I do not know if Japanese children are more friendly that American, but I being different from (and unfortunately inferior to) my classmates, received little empathy or patience, as I tried to do with one arm what they did with two. But the idea of a newcomer who needs to learn the rules, who is immediately welcomed and accepted, seems wishful thinking. Boys are too concerned with winning. And a newcomer who both needs to learn the rules and is different from the rest, especailly one of a lower class, will likely be sitting on the sidlines merely wishing they would let him play. :cry:

Triple
Kokoro Robot

Postby Triple » 21 years ago

Where have you all seen the new Astroboy episodes - via downloads?!
I think I saw the DVD being sold, but I didn't get a good look at it...

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Where have you all seen the new Astroboy episodes - via downloads?!
I think I saw the DVD being sold, but I didn't get a good look at it...

I use eDonkey. Only eps 1 and 2 are/were available subbed, though. :D

Epsilon
Kokoro Robot

Postby Epsilon » 21 years ago

The group TV-Nihon on irc.irchighway.net is subbing the new Astroboy series.

http://www.shinobichange.com/ is the location for their BT site, but I think it's down at the moment. You're probably better off using eDonkey, or if you're desperate jump on IRC and look through the fservers :( ugh hate fservers

With regards to the new Astroboy series, I can see that it has great potential to surpass the two previous incarnations. If you've watched eps 1 & 2 you can probably guess at the twists and know what I'm talking about... Ahh I do love a good tragedy :)

SoKn_Jedi
Kokoro Robot

Postby SoKn_Jedi » 21 years ago

It appers TV-Nihon had some trouble with that address so they changed the location of there BT site you can now find it here http://24.124.75.82/bt/

Nannou
Kokoro Robot

Postby Nannou » 21 years ago

I think I am going to explode! I am starting to crack from the anticipation!

:BOOM:
"READY TO THROW DOWN"

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I remember as a child anticipation was usually an unpleasant thing. It was because I could anticipate the unpleasantness of going over my mom's knee, that spanking had a positive affect on my behavior. Anticipting good things, however, was usually a let-down. I would think about how great Christmas morning was going to be, and think, and think some more. When the day finally came, its reality could not possibly stand up to my imagination. It was never as great as I had anticipated that it would be. :( So, do not ruin it by thinking about it too much! Repeat after me: I will not think about how great the new Astroboy series is going to be. I will divert my attention with something I can enjoy now. I will not ruin it by thinking about it too much. I will not ruin the new Astroboy series by thinking about how great it's gonna be. :wahah: I will not ruin the new Astroboy series by thinking about how great it's gonna be. :wahah: I will not ruin the new Astroboy series by thinking about how great it's gonna be. :wahah: I will not anticipate it to the extent that the reality can never compare to my fantasy... I know it's gonna be great, so very great, I will enjoy it very much. Aaaaarg!!!! I cannot stop thinking about it, and I do not want to over-anticipate it!!!! :angry: :( :cry:

Loüßëãr
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Loüßëãr » 21 years ago

I will not ruin the new Astroboy series by thinking about how great it's gonna be.

:D :P All I can say is that anything astroboy must be good ;) so i thing you can safely anticipate an entertaining series even if its not as good as the previous series. It may be similar to them in the respect of being able to stand alone and not need a comparison to the Older series. I always loved the 80's version and still do but respect the original series for what it introduced and inspired. Even if it is a lesser version of Astro it may be enough to bring astro's phylosiphy into younger audiences & get them interested in the history of the charecter & the artist, Tesuka Osamu. I know I have enjoyed catching up on my childhood and finding out about this inspirational Artist.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

IMO, anticipation can't ruin a series of this quality. It's higher quality than any other animated TV series I've seen, plus it's about Astro! (although Goku Midnight Eye was pretty good as far as animation goes)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”