Talk about all things Astro Boy!
yxuz
Metro City Citizen

Postby yxuz » 20 years ago

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Haruka-chan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Haruka-chan » 20 years ago

hmmm that message appears in a more condensed form in the inside cover of the Siren released 80's series tapes in Australia....at least the first 10
Kimi no kokoro de, catch the future!
[url=\'http://www.suanime.org\']SUAnime[/url]

EvilGenki
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby EvilGenki » 20 years ago

Too bad the world will never be like that...too much hate in the world..

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

As much as he may have thought to convey that message, if one views or reads Astroboy, one would be hard pressed to see that in it. :huh:

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 20 years ago

I've seen a couple specials or shorts that Osamu Tezuka worked on, and they were based mostly on that message.

Haruka-chan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Haruka-chan » 20 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Nov 4 2003, 02:21 PM
As much as he may have thought to convey that message, if one views or reads Astroboy, one would be hard pressed to see that in it. :huh:

really :o The first time i read that message i thought it summed up entirely what i felt from Tezuka's work.....

I mean it isnt all sugary and cute....ALL of Tezuka's stories that i can think of have a moral. Whether it is about power, money, discrimination, or unfair play of some kind.....even if the stories may have violent aspects to them they reflect how human nature is......

They reflect what consequences come from actions and how these may be bad... At the very simplest level look at the story of True the Liar robot from the 80's series.....this episode is all about actions and consequences. There are also the more environmental episodes too....like The Monster of Clarken, think about what would have happened to the fish if all the coral was destroyed.

The Robot Circus...you abuse or pressure the robots to try and get them to perform and they either retaliate or in Tornados case break under the pressure. It's interesting to note that most of the morals i have listed so far come under lack of care and love for the world, does this not reflect Tezuka's message?

Tezuka has a way of linking us emotionally to his world and then recreating events which are often simillar in ways to what happens in our world. He follows the actions to the consequences and because we are emotionally linked to the characters we hurt when they hurt. To give an example of this look at Astro's First Love, didn't you hurt when Nikki had to be taken apart and couldnt be put back together? All because someone wanted power over others and planted a bomb in her?

Curse my multiple references to the 80s series but it has been drilled into my head ^_^ Still you can look to the new series (only seen eps 1-4), how Atom feels different, dislocated from his past. Or the manga/60s series....don't you feel for Atom when his father sells him off! Don't you think that if it were you you'd never do or say such things to make Atom unhappy?

If so then i believe Tezuka's message of love has reached you ^_^
Kimi no kokoro de, catch the future!
[url=\'http://www.suanime.org\']SUAnime[/url]

yxuz
Metro City Citizen

Postby yxuz » 20 years ago

Originally posted by Anapan@Nov 4 2003, 04:17 PM
I've seen a couple specials or shorts that Osamu Tezuka worked on, and they were based mostly on that message.

in fact, all of his works share the same moral
not just some
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

After some thought, I must reconsider my opinion. I agree that the new series strongly presents that message, but am not quite sure about the first two animated series.

The second one did have Atom wondering why humans created robots for destructive purposes on at least two occasions: Goliath's Head and Greatest Robot in the World. Moreover, he went out of his way for The Baby Elephant Pook and other animals in The Crystal of the Desert, but was out to avenge Jump and that meant destroying The Robot Vikings. No attempt to understand them was made, Atom was bent on destroying them from the start. In The Red Cat Atom could have used his lasers, but rather attempted passive resistence against the birds' attack on the kids he was transporting.

The 60s had Atom defending The Dolphin People from the humans' attempts to create undersea cities. While on vacation, he and Uran find a large egg, and although the adults want to study it, the sibs want to return it to the nest. I suppose the overall message was as you state. :D

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”