Astroboy Original Series 1963-1966.

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
ninja_jedi_knight
Kokoro Robot

Postby ninja_jedi_knight » 20 years ago

Correction: Total number of episodes on DVDs is 193.

Further Info:

DVD BOX 1, 6 DVDs: The classic and the very first TV anime series in Japan aired between 1963 and 1966. Astro Boy (Tetsuwan Atom) is undoubtedly Tezuka's best known work, and a masterpiece to be remembered. The first 20 episodes are compiled in 6 DVDs each housed in a keepcase, with a deluxe collectible booklet. Running time: 720 mins.

DVD BOX 2, 6 DVDs: "Astro Boy (Tetsuwan Atom)" is undoubtedly the legendary manga/anime artist Osamu Tezuka's best known work, and a masterpiece to be remembered for years to come. This futuristic sci-fi adventure anime was Japan's first TV anime show, and it's brought back on DVD through today's state-of-the-art digital technology. Contains episodes 31 through 60, including episode 34 whose original audio track had been lost for years but found recently through a thorough search, and episode 56 which is the only color episode in the series. Also includes an episode that consists of a "making-of documentary" which shows the younger days of some of today's top animators. 48-page deluxe booklet included. Sleeve/Box cover w/all-new artwork. Special Features: Production stills, full intro and outro on each episode. Running time: 828 mins.

DVD BOX 3, 6 DVDs: After several decades it has been confirmed that episodes 68 and 69 were originally numbered and aired in reverse order by mistake. Comes with a replica of an Astro Boy sticker. The 6-discs are individually housed in keepcases, and the set comes in a box with a 48-page booklet. The box and keepcases features new artworks illustrated by Tezuka Productions' artists.
Special Features: mid-series intro, storyboard of "Atom/Astroboy Tenki-Yohou (Weather Report)" Running time: 858 mins.

DVD BOX 4, 6 DVDs: Futuristic sci-fi adventure anime "Astro Boy (Tetsuwan Atom)" is undoubtedly the best known and most beloved work by manga/anime legend Osamu Tezuka. This box set No.4 contains episodes 94 through 126. The 6-disc set includes a recreated version of episode 125 which has been lost for 38 years. The show was brought back using storyboards, still photos with an anime show audio track. Also includes additional episodes "Shijou saidai no Robot no maki (Parts 1 & 2)," "Roboid no maki," and a remake episode "Doc Taichou no maki," Running time: 874 mins.

DVD BOX 5, 6 DVDs: This was the first Japanese animated series to be aired on TV in 1960's. Contains 33 episodes: pisode 127 "Jikken robot no maki", episode 139 "Nusumareta Atom no maki", episode 145 "Atom shinkai wo yuku no maki", episode 148 "Robio to Robiette no maki", episode 152 "Robot bakudan no maki", and more. Comes housed in a cardboard box. A 40-page booklet and a 96-page all-color booklet included. Special Features: Calendar (still pictures, expected). Running Time: 850 mins.

DVD BOX 6, 6 DVDs: The 6-disc set contains episodes 160 through 193 (concluding episode). It's the last set in the series. Expected to include a 40-page booklet with interview(s) with Mari Shimizu (as the voice of Atom) Special Features: trailer(s) narrated by Mair Shimizu, & more. Running Time: 978 mins.

Detailed information regarding obtained from Japanese sales website.

Tezuka Productions Official Site for Astro Boy 1963-1966 Series:
http://en.tezuka.co.jp/anime/sakuhin/ts/ts002.html

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 20 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Nov 6 2003, 03:14 AM
Which ones were lost? the last few, or scattered episodes?

Scattered, but I think there's a chunk of several missing near the end. I haven't been able to find a definitive list, but I thought there were only 6 or 8 missing in total. The official "Lost Episode" (beast from 20,000 fathoms) released on VHS last decade is only available in English.

The full listing of all three Astroboy series in Japanese.
The full DVD listing. This has lots of info (in Japanese). Run the data pages through babelfish for info on each disc. I've had a quick look at DVD Box 6...

volume of the road to of the 163rd story another world which " is the whereabouts unclear and to discover the negative film " of volume of the ƒƒbƒs of 191st story, roaming " to carry out beginning recording. Because of this in this DVD series, it means to succeed in the restoration in a some way the episode 7 it is not merchandised concerning entirely. The high well male person where image benefit was televised in the rust of 159th story restoration image of " Kyi tongue appearance notice "

I gather episodes 159, 163 and 191 are either missing or were not able to be restored properly. I'll probably take the time to go through all of them properly when I'm feeling more curious. :)

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 20 years ago

Lol, 4 posts in the time it took me to write that!

ninja_jedi_knight, is the full episode 191 on the disc and in good quality? Like if you play it, is it as good quality as the others? I'm just wondering if the missing episodes I have read about are still missing, or if they just lost the masters and still have copies to restore from.

ninja_jedi_knight
Kokoro Robot

Postby ninja_jedi_knight » 20 years ago

Yes - they're pretty much perfect, note that I haven't watched them all, just a few on the first 2 DVD's.. which is why they're advertised as new on eBday, anyhow, Yes they're in mint condition, restoration seems really good..

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”