Is Atlas a real vilain?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 20 years ago

Argh! Don't put links to the wikipedia please, each time I sink in this ocean of informations for hours :D It's even a harder addiction than astroholism :P

I don't think Atlas is a sociopath, according to the wikipedia he is more a "hollywood sociopath", the kind of the master of SPECTRE in James Bond (the one with the white Angora cat ;) ). Sociopaths in real life are deceitful, impulsive, and can't prepare plans in advance (among other things). Although Atlas can be impulsive, he's not deceitful as it is against any honorable behaviour as he shows from time to time. That doesn't prevent him from being mercyless.
Moreover a sociopath shows a lack of empathy towards others. I am sure that Atlas has empathy, otherwise what could be the plot to avenge himself from the humanity? He wants to hurt humanity, and it would be nonsense if he hadn't empathy to "feel" that. Moreover don't forget about Livian: he abviously loves her ;)

Now I remember another thing about the Atlas of the 80s. I have seen the first full episodes only once and in Japanese, that explains why I easily forget about that.
The only people Atlas knew during his "childhood" was Guiss, Skunk and the Guiss' robot servant who looked like the first incarnation of Livian. At the end Guiss and Skunk deassembled the robot servant, putting Atlas in great despair. This could easily explain why Atlas has so much anger and hatred towards humanity (Guiss and Skunk) for destroying the only one if his kind, who was his friend (robot servant <-> Livian).
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

Ok, I did check nimh's page for sociopath, and it agrees that those symptoms are all present in those with the condition, rather than merely one or two of them. Having said that, I must correct my previous statement:

Atlas of the 80s shows one or more symptoms characteristic of a sociopath. :D

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 20 years ago

I liked the young 80's Atlas, he could have made a great counter to the goody two shoe Astro-boy in the new series...perhaps he could have been one of these "My motives are good but my methods make me one mean jerk." Kind of charaters where he despises Astro for being too soft, is a rebel against human laws but he's not all 100% bad.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

otaku
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby otaku » 20 years ago

for some reason i like the new atlas
but what a diffrent..
ImageImage

CrazyEyes
Kokoro Robot

Postby CrazyEyes » 20 years ago

Atlas is not a real villian; he is just confused about his life and want to understand it. His hatred for Astro is just like most brotherly-arguments. The newer Atlas is much more better as he just looks and sound like a villian; while the older one doesn't have the flaire that the new one has.
The Ultimate Lifeform

[url=\'http://www.icv2.com/images/26582AB-art-2---9-03lg.jpg\']http://www.icv2.com/images/26582AB-art-2---9-03lg.jpg[/url]

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 20 years ago

Originally posted by CrazyEyes@Jul 3 2004, 02:04 PM
His hatred for Astro is just like most brotherly-arguments.

Except that they both learn about their brotherhood only toward the end ;)
Before that, it is just like Atlas recognizing in Astro a worthy opponent. First he tries to convince him to fight on his side, and beause it fails Atlas has to destroy his opponent.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

sarahh
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sarahh » 18 years ago

Originally posted by fafner@Jun 9 2004, 07:27 AM

AWWW !
Very cute ! i love this picture !! :wub:
:d oh:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 18 years ago

Originally posted by sarahh@Aug 24 2005, 07:51 PM
AWWW !
Very cute ! i love this picture !! :wub:

Yes, it is when Atlas becomes in peace with himself :p h34r:
Here are more pictures of Atlas in the 2000s, and pics of Daichi.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”