Is Atlas a real vilain?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 20 years ago

I know what you are thinking: the poor Fafner has lost his mind, how sad :cry:
Before calling the "men in white", please read until the end ;)

I am talking about the Atlas of the 80s. In this serie, he had a deep gaze. When I was young it captivated me, I saw this as some kind of inconscious knowledge that he wasn't doing what he should do, that is deep inside himself he wasn't a bad guy. The episode "Atlas for ever", as well as some other episodes where he shows honor (like in "Robot Vikings") show indeed he's not the standard vilain just trying to conquer the world and destroy anything standing in his way (even if he sometimes behaves also like that).
I don't exactly want to do some "robot psychology", but I wonder if Atlas does not behave badly because he's suffering somewhere? Do some of you have the impression that the deep gaze of Atlas in the 80s looks pensive and sad in a way?
Paradoxally, the psychological background lacking in the 80s to justify this idea can be found in the 2000s, but unfortunately, in this serie, he has lost this gaze that would have been better with this background. There he only shows anger and hatred.
That's the reason why I think that Atlas was a complex character in the 80s, definately not a good guy, but not really a bad guy either. Just a character looking for his true nature. It was not before "Atlas forever" that he finally chose his way.
Atlas in the 80s: Image
Atlas in the 2000s: Image

What are your feelings about that?

Edited: Oops, the images were broken :unsure: Now fixed ^_^
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

dragon_child888
Metro City Citizen

Postby dragon_child888 » 20 years ago

:wahah: DEEEEEEEEEEEP.......I agre the old atlas does seem to gave a sort of 'gaze' and i agre with the: hes not a bad guy or a good guy thing. I have not realy seen much of the 80's eps but from what i have seen i belive that in the new series Atlas has a beter story and i love how they linked his name with that atlas he was given ^_^

knifeparty
Kokoro Robot

Postby knifeparty » 20 years ago

The new series of Astro boy suck! The Atlas of the 80's was so much cooler than the new one! I haven't seen volumes 11-17 of the 80's series but apparently Atlas features in them after he supposedly died in "atlas forever" in volume 10. Can anyone explain why he reappears later down the track or are these episodes meant to be prequels?

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

Now look what you went and did! I just finished some work on an episodes page, but am not ready to publish it yet. DR Frag provided link to episode listings of both Japanese and English versions, and after the first 2 /3 episodes, the sequences are completely different.

OK, here is my compilation of the two episode lists.

I do not believe the Atlas episodes' sequence was changed, though. :lol:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Originally posted by knifeparty@Jun 9 2004, 02:28 PM
The new series of Astro boy suck! The Atlas of the 80's was so much cooler than the new one! I haven't seen volumes 11-17 of the 80's series but apparently Atlas features in them after he supposedly died in "atlas forever" in volume 10. Can anyone explain why he reappears later down the track or are these episodes meant to be prequels?

Jeffbert has already said it, but let's be clear about that: the sequence of episodes sucks :wacko:
They put them in a random order, exept the first ones for obvious reasons. Generally the order is not important, but this is not always the case as you can see ;)
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

snorkyller
Metro City Citizen

Postby snorkyller » 20 years ago

Originally posted by fafner+Jun 10 2004, 04:42 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fafner @ Jun 10 2004, 04:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--knifeparty@Jun 9 2004, 02:28 PM

Jeffbert has already said it, but let's be clear about that: the sequence of episodes sucks :wacko:
They put them in a random order, exept the first ones for obvious reasons. Generally the order is not important, but this is not always the case as you can see ;) [/b][/quote]
You're making me a little confused. Do Atlas really die in "Atlas forever"?

I don't have all the eps but I thought that he really die but I wonder if he reappears in the eps following "Atlas forever" (according to japanese episodes list). I was disappointed to see him die... :unsure:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Here is a proverb: If you haven't seen the corpse, you can't assume the person has died.
Don't remember where I saw that, but I think it defintely applies here, the authors may have thought "resurrecting" him later.
To my knowledge he hasn't been resurrected, but I have not seen all episodes, I know I miss at least 2 episodes where he appears.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

LLJade
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLJade » 20 years ago

Originally posted by knifeparty@Jun 9 2004, 10:28 PM

Hey! I happen to like the new Astro Boy series! My story happens to be about the Atlas from the newer one! I'm not exactly that impressed with the 80's one, but I do admit, he did have his moments, but I have to say I like the newer one better. He's alot more sympathetic and there just happens to be a pretty big fan base over in Japan. I found some Japanese websites dedicated to the new Atlas. :wahah: Haven't found any U.S. ones yet, but I'm thinking of starting my own. :lol:

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

The new Atlas seems too poor for me as a character in the new serie, but I must say that in your fanfic, LLJade, Atlas is more interesting ;) I don't know what will happen next, but I am looking forward to see how he really behaves later in the story :)

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 20 years ago

This topic reminds me of a far side comic. The picture had a criminal, who was making a statement before being sentenced. He said something like "My mommy made me eat string beans" or some equally lame excuse. My point is that having had a terrible childhood does not excuse Atlas or anyone else's evil. But that is based upon the 2003. The 80s, however, one must consider that Atlas was created as a robot not subject to the normal robot morality. Thus, he was subject to forces beyond his own control. He did not chose to have the Omega Factor. He having neither conscience nor remorse was thus, a sociopath. Just as society would deal differently with one who was diagnosed with this condition than with one who knew that his acts were wrong, we should consider Atlas a victim of his creator's design. This would also apply to Pluto/Bruton, who although he destroyed other robot, and knew that for that purpose he was created, but was unable to stop himself*.

*Except as he spared Atom in repayment of his activating Pluto's distress button.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”