Different Versions - Canada???

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Fobok
Kokoro Robot

Postby Fobok » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Guest@Dec 24 2004, 12:57 PM
I'm not really sure, honestly. I'm pretty sure I saw it on Global, we only got like 4 channels at the time so it couldn't have been much else, but I remember those things people have mentioned as well. I played that 'find the mistake' game every episode as a kid. (Never wrote anything down, I don't think, just used my memory. Yep, back then it was good...but I can't seem to remember much now.)

*sighs* This was me. Not that it's a big deal anyway, haven't posted in months, but still. :)

Golgo 13
Kokoro Robot

Postby Golgo 13 » 19 years ago

I have been trying to find Canadian Astroboy Eps for 10 years. The opening sequence was completely different and there were a lot of name differences. As far as how the episodes were edited, I have no idea since the Canadian version is all I've seen. I just noticed most websites have different names and a different opening (with a longer theme song) than our version. I hope that one day the Canadian version comes to light in a retail box set, but I doubt any company would released anything with 2 different english dubs.

International - Canadian

Astro = same
Uran = Sarah
Jump = Blip
Dr. Boyton = Dr. Balfus
Dr. Elefun = Professor Peabody
Daddy Walrus = ???? (This plagues me, he was Albert Duncan, but the kids had a
nickname for him I think)
Atlas = same (Thank God)
Lillian = Selina
Skunk = same
Bruton = Common Turk
Guiss = ????
Mandrake IV = ????
Inspector Gumshoe = same
Chief McKlaw = ????

I'm in Winnipeg and watched on CKND (now Global) at 8 am weekday mornings from 85-87.

80sastro
Kokoro Robot

Postby 80sastro » 19 years ago

Yeah, most of the names were different but my memories are screwed up. I remember Sarah as Nina... :wacko:

I watched the ones on DVD and know why it was different. The Canadian one cut scenes. Like a lot, in an episode with that romeo robot the Canadian version never had any deaths.

The Australian ones were better except for the voice acting which was much worse...much worse...

Is it just me or there was never a part 1 in the worlds' greatest robots for Canada? I always saw the second part but never saw any of the first part. I assume they just cut the first part cause they don't show the destruction of any of the robots. The end was funny. Commentur of whatever just transforms into Commentur 2 (which was really borra) and Astro destroys him. (worst explination ever, even when I was a kid I was like what the hell?) B)

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

I'd like to see the Canadian version. I'm not sure, but I think the Australian VHS release actually used the Canadian names on the case blurbs. Do these names sound familiar?

Photar = Epsilon
Sultan = Saltan
Violet = Forlet
Prof Leopold = Dr Catapult
Randolf Holmes = Shalock Holmespan
Donnahue = Globe
Cavalette = Chariot
Niki = Nuka
Gene = Gen
Ritchie = Rag
Captain Cloud = Captain Claud
Blackie Young = Black Locks
Goliath = Damdam

wicked fierce
Metro City Citizen

Postby wicked fierce » 19 years ago

You know I was positive that I remembered Professor Peabody but I wasn't sure. I'm from Saskatchewan and watched it every morning, I think it was on ctv. It had to be, we only had two channels. I KNEW there was something different. I love this post!

Dammit, I just recently found all the episodes to download (I've been looking for 10 years too) and now I'm going to be tearing my hair out looking for these elusive Canadian episodes.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Originally posted by DrFrag@Jan 26 2005, 04:48 AM

It may be interesting to note that in the GBA (Gameboy Advance) game "Omega Factor", some bad guys are labelled "black looks", the ones looking like the bad guy of "Blackie Young".
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

His name in Japanese is Burakku Rukkusu, or Black Looks.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Originally posted by DrFrag@Jan 26 2005, 08:59 PM
His name in Japanese is Burakku Rukkusu, or Black Looks.

Is it the original name? Obviously it is the "Japanesed" one, but that does not prevent it from being the original though...
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

Golgo 13
Kokoro Robot

Postby Golgo 13 » 19 years ago

Originally posted by DrFrag@Jan 26 2005, 01:48 PM
I'd like to see the Canadian version. I'm not sure, but I think the Australian VHS release actually used the Canadian names on the case blurbs. Do these names sound familiar?

Photar = Epsilon
Sultan = Saltan
Violet = Forlet
Prof Leopold = Dr Catapult
Randolf Holmes = Shalock Holmespan
Donnahue = Globe
Cavalette = Chariot
Niki = Nuka
Gene = Gen
Ritchie = Rag
Captain Cloud = Captain Claud
Goliath = Damdam

None of the alternate names are familiar. I am sure Dr. Leopold was named Dr. Leopold and same with Sultan, in the Canadian version too. Maybe those are FRENCH Canadian names.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”