I WANNA ADOPT HIM!!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 19 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Jan 16 2005, 09:22 AM

I can relate to being an outcast or outsider. I was crippled at age 3, but was ok with other kids until they were old enough to realize that not only was I different, but inferior. I was tormented by them from the 2nd to the 10th grade & beyond. They ridiculed me, mocked me, used me, but worst of all, they took pleasure in my pain. :cry:

The thing about the plush toy is that it will never criticize you. I am 46 & still suffer from an inferiority complex (perhaps I should call it something else, but what?), wondering if people, even my parents really love me or merely tolerate me. My advice to you is that you do not allow this to alienate you. Regardless of the pain, you must not take the easy way out. Do not become a hermit. The more people you know, the better the chances that someone will accept you. I sometimes wish I could be a little kid again, & enjoy my mother's tender loving care and reassurance when I am sad. But fantasy can only take you so far. Even if people are cruel to you, do not even think about it. Rather, you should try to ignore it & get along as best you can. Because if you become alienated now, you very likely will be for life. My brother is able-bodied, good-looking, and has a great job. But he took after me, and felt that he was inadequate. at 40 he is single & does not even know any single women. Hence, you must deal with it now.

Please feel free to send me a personal message anytime you need someone to talk to.

I had no idea that you were crippled. It's good that you're okay though. Thank you for the advice, and if I ever feel sad, I'll send you a private message. If I knew you way back when, it would have helped when someone made fun of me because my favorite actor, who's picture I had all over everything, has Parkinson's Disease. I can't beleive how people laughed at his comment. It made me cry. :( I guess in life we have to live with what these people say to make is feel bad. I never met my brother. :cry:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

Originally posted by astro_mcfly+Jan 15 2005, 07:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (astro_mcfly @ Jan 15 2005, 07:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jeffbert@Jan 16 2005, 09:22 AM

I can relate to being an outcast or outsider. I was crippled at age 3, but was ok with other kids until they were old enough  to realize that not only was I different, but inferior. I was tormented by them from the 2nd to the 10th grade & beyond. They ridiculed me, mocked me, used me, but worst of all, they took pleasure in my pain. :cry:

The thing about the plush toy is that it will never criticize you. I am 46 & still suffer from an inferiority complex (perhaps I should call it something else, but what?), wondering if people, even my parents really love me or merely tolerate me. My advice to you is that you do not allow this to alienate you. Regardless of the pain, you must not take the easy way out. Do not become a hermit. The more people you know, the better the chances that someone will accept you. I sometimes wish I could be a little kid again, & enjoy my mother's tender loving care and reassurance when I am sad. But fantasy can only take you so far. Even if people are cruel to you, do not even think about it. Rather, you should try to ignore it & get along as best you can. Because if you become alienated now, you very likely will be for life. My brother is able-bodied, good-looking, and has a great job. But he took after me, and felt that he was inadequate. at 40 he is single & does not even know any single women. Hence, you must deal with it now.

Please feel free to send me a personal message anytime you need someone to talk to.

I had no idea that you were crippled. It's good that you're okay though. Thank you for the advice, and if I ever feel sad, I'll send you a private message. If I knew you way back when, it would have helped when someone made fun of me because my favorite actor, who's picture I had all over everything, has Parkinson's Disease. I can't beleive how people laughed at his comment. It made me cry. :( I guess in life we have to live with what these people say to make is feel bad. I never met my brother. :cry: [/b][/quote]
For fear of criticism, I never had the guts to wear any t-shirts or sweatshirts that had pictures on them. One exception was an Animal House T-shirt. When I was taking high school English, I was required to write my own short story, which everyone would hear as I read it before class. This filled me with a terrible fear that others would laugh at it. :D The problem was, however, that I simply could not laugh at myself. Because others laughed at me, I was extremely self-conscious. Everywhere I go, little kids' heads turn as I walk by, "mommy, why does that man walk funny?" I just wanted to blend in with the crowd, but there was no way that would happen. I have since gotten over it, but sometimes I am still bothered by it.

You say you never met your brother?

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 19 years ago

WOW! :o I never thought i'd get THIS many replies. And to think, I actually hesitated in postingn this for awhile. :lol:

astro_mcfly
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby astro_mcfly » 19 years ago

No I never met my brother. Ever. I don't even know if he's alive. It's a long story. Maybe I'll PM you about that one.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert+Jan 16 2005, 12:22 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jeffbert @ Jan 16 2005, 12:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>..., but worst of all, they took pleasure in my pain. :cry: [/b]

You pointed it.
As a kid it is difficult to understand. It took me 10-15 years to understand what could happen in someone's mind to take pleasure in hurting others. And even, it is still not a full understanding. If I had understood that earlier, it would have been so easier for me as I would have realized at the right time that finally I was was not the one in distress, the bullies were. At least I was not as much in distress as them. Now I only feel sincere pity for them, sometimes I wish I went to meet them to see whether they could "heal" their mind as I managed to do.

<!--QuoteBegin--Dragonrider1227
@Jan 16 2005, 02:11 AM
WOW! :o I never thought i'd get THIS many replies. And to think, I actually hesitated in postingn this for awhile. :lol: [/quote]
Even if most posts are now off-topic, it still is a success :D
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 19 years ago

Wow, I was really moved when I read this thread. I had problems at school too, however it was after I watched Astro. It's really a strange coincidence, almost too strange. Maybe Astro reaches something inside people who share something in common, after all...

However, I'd much rather BE him than adopt him... :unsure: But I'm sure you all also tried to imagine what it would be like to fly! :wahah:

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

Yes, in Japan Astro isn't just another cartoon character like here in the States. He's an icon and most Japanese people have kept him in their hearts as well as Tezuka's message of loving all creatures. I can't find this message in other cartoons, so it's hard to go back and watch non-Tezuka works now, not enough heart.

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 19 years ago

Yes....I have my plushie sitting in my coffin of a bed aboard my ship, I confess. It gets more than enough wild looks from Chiefs and Officers during zone inspections...

"Uh....I'm not going to bother asking what that is."
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

Originally posted by dannavy85@Apr 16 2005, 09:11 AM
"Uh....I'm not going to bother asking what that is."

How about "This is my personal guardian angel. Sacrificial gifts are gladly appreciated."
:D
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 19 years ago

hehehe...bless the pointy haired red booted one.

I will miss the Navy after 20 years, Japan most of all. I used to umpire for primary school ball teams during the 80's out of Atsugi Air Station, interesting that an umpire's job wasn't so much to track the game as to keep the point spread within 'honorablility range". It's a serious loss of face to lose a baseball game by 10 or 15 points.

Astro has a magnetic effect, I was sitting in peace park in Hiroshima in 97 and just started sketching Astro during a break on the grass and suddenly I had a flock of school kids all over me wanting drawings of Astro playing baseball, kicking a soccer ball, flying...I'll never forget that.

My niece Lauren loves him, she started teaching herself Japanese at 8 years old so I gave her a bunch of my old VHS Anime I brought home. Kimba too, she has to have something Kimba when I come home on leave.

I think the universally accepted values Tezuka put into each of his cartoons, and the fact that Astro is just slobbering cute while being a potential demolition machine keeps quite a draw, certainly on the 3 generations that have passed through Japan since 1945. It's a lasting tribute to Tezuka's wisdom.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”