what happens to astro when he gets old

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

'Outer Spaceport R 45' is one of my favourite episodes, not only because it's the first ever Astroboy-ep I saw 19 years ago, but also because of this ep's environment featuring a huge space station, space pirates, control squadrons, and also a cute lil' super-powered robot called 'Astro'.
I'll never forget the scene where I saw him for the first time. He was just emerging from the escalator dressed up in his cute red suit, looking from side to side and studying a little note book. I immediately fell in love with him :wub: .

Another particular scene which also stuck in my mind through all these years is that one where Astro caughts the hotel manager's henchman who's spotting the Tennysons from outside the station.
When the guy was about to pull his gun, Astro fired his jets against him to cause the guy rush back. After that, Astro grabed him, tossed him around and threw him against the space station's walls from which he bounced off several times like a billiard ball to evetually fly back in Astro's direction again :D .
Only an electronic brain like Astro's may be able to calculate the precise trajectory of a human body thrown against board walls in outer space :lol: . Billiard champ Astro indeed!

Also a wellknown scene is that one where Astro's breaking in through the hotel wall encouraging Cpt. Tennyson to "stand up and fight".

Though this ep was in french and I hardly could understand any word, still I've had no trouble figuring out the storyline, the pictures just said it all. Then the cute summary at the ep's end.... gee, this one is a treasure. :)

:unsure: I can imagine that this ep could have been sort of a pattern used by the creators of Star Trek's Deep Space Nine. Rip-off, Rip-off! :P

Dad Tennyson = Cpt. Benjamin Sisko
Hotel manager = Quark, the ferengian barkeeper
Matthew Tennyson = Odo, the security chief
Astro = ?? ( :wacko: the closest one would be Data, but as far as I know, he never did appear in DS9).
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

Here is the entry for this story:
Manga:
33 S.O.S. From a Satellite Satellite SOS (Original title: Asteroid SOS)
Darkhorse volume: 18

1960s anime:

21st Episode: SatelliteR-45

1980s (J/E):

46th Episode: Space Airport R45

28. Outer Spaceport R45

The 1980s was just about the closest thing to a colorization of the 1960s I have ever seen. The scene with Atom and the pushy salesmen Tick & Tock was so very nearly identical. From their trying to sell an empty box, whose delicious contents they had just eaten, to Tick (modeled on Abbot) putting Tock (Costello) in the box, covering it with another box, etc. :wahah: I think that Hamegg was the villain in the 60s, though.

:lol:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Odo: "Those darn Cardassians! We're always a moment too late!"

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Mar 19 2005, 05:53 PM
The 1980s was just about the closest thing to a colorization of the 1960s I have ever seen. The scene with Atom and the pushy salesmen Tick & Tock was  so very nearly identical. From their trying to sell an empty box, whose delicious contents they had just eaten, to Tick (modeled on Abbot) putting Tock (Costello) in the box, covering it with another box, etc. :wahah: I think that Hamegg was the villain in the 60s, though.

:lol: Did you also take a closer look at the books they're selling? The red book's cover is entitled as 'Atom' and features the last japanese character of Tezuka's name, which he used to draw like a face.

The green book within the pile is entitled as 'Black*J'.
I remember spotting some bibles in the shelves too, but that was in another scene.
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」

- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

When they hold up the box of "moon rocks" or whatever they are, one of them is Hyotantsugi! :lol:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Strange Wings+Mar 20 2005, 09:00 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strange Wings @ Mar 20 2005, 09:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jeffbert@Mar 19 2005, 05:53 PM
The 1980s was just about the closest thing to a colorization of the 1960s I have ever seen. The scene with Atom and the pushy salesmen Tick & Tock was  so very nearly identical. From their trying to sell an empty box, whose delicious contents they had just eaten, to Tick (modeled on Abbot) putting Tock (Costello) in the box, covering it with another box, etc. :wahah: I think that Hamegg was the villain in the 60s, though.

:lol: Did you also take a closer look at the books they're selling? The red book's cover is entitled as 'Atom' and features the last japanese character of Tezuka's name, which he used to draw like a face.

The green book within the pile is entitled as 'Black*J'.
I remember spotting some bibles in the shelves too, but that was in another scene. [/b][/quote]
That's nothing. In #193, Atom faces some problems that he had already faced. In trying to figure out how to deal with them, his thoughts are visual and the various manga books pop up, & he thinks, "Oh, I remember how I solved that problem in an old manga adventure!" :lol:

BTW, I finally configured a drive for region #2, and have been busy capturing frames. But, I have so many, it will take a while to sort through them. :lol:

cuejqi
Banned

Postby cuejqi » 12 years ago

Up this thread

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 12 years ago

I haven't seen or read everything yet but i now from the 1980s and 1960s series (might have been in the 2003 as well) that some one in the future sad to astro boy to meet up with each other in the future before he went back to his time hunders of years in the future i think it's probply from the same story so it has to be in the manga as well.

The point i'm trying to make here is that if it isn't to the cause of some enemy astro boy will never die so doesn't grow old why do you think else DR Tenma went crazy because astro boy din't grow but i heard that he dies in the black and white series in episode 193.
that's probably still going to take a year or more before i see that episode i don't know if he dies in the manga ?

ironically he dies in that series while that series tries to be the funiest those guy's at NBC enterprises probably went nuts if they had to do this episode :lol:
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 12 years ago

"cuejqi" wrote:Up this thread

Please don't do this with old threads, except when you have something important to add that you are sure would make the conversation start anew.
I'm on Twitter.

karl0s
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby karl0s » 12 years ago

If he gets too old we can always call him Astro Senior Citizen
Sig and avatar thanks to Alittleacorn :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”