The new dvd set

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

Ok, I got the new dvd box set of the new Astro series in the mail today.
Well, no emoticons can express how disapointed I am. It's the exact same thing we saw on Kids WB and the Cartoon Network. It's not wide-screen like the Japanese version is. It's got all the American techno music, and worst of all it's the tv edit. That's right, no scenes of Astro falling asleap in "Oshay's" car. Ohh well, at least it only cost about 30 or 40 something dollars. That's all it's worth. I'd pay lots more for an official subed version. How dare they insult us collectors with this crap. The only people who would buy this anyway are collectors, so why not go all out and do it right.

I'll try to watch it all, only watched up to the "Oshay" car scene in Rocketball then turned it off, can't take it anymore for now. At least I also have the Japanese box set of Marvelous Melmo I got yesterday to watch. Maybe I'll feel beter with some other eps. if there not edited so bad. I do remember some with the original music. Ohh, also the episode order is all wrong, one insult after another. This is what happens when American corporate execs. ruin great art.

Mdlbigcat
Metro City Citizen

Postby Mdlbigcat » 19 years ago

OK, I can understand your disappointment, but actually, I must disagree on your unduly harsh assessment. I jumped to disc 5 so I can see the special feature [it's nothing special], but the first three episodes on disc 5 ["Avalanche", "Battle of Steel Island", and "Undercover"] were surprisngly very good. I especially loved "Undercover". B) These episodes showed the Astro I loved, and I felt that the crew was starting to hit their stride during the production of these episodes. [Usually, animated shows do not start hitting their creative peak until they're halfway or three-quarters through their sadly limited production. "The Simpsons" didn't hit their mark until season 3, and they're still going strong in season 16.]

Now I know all of you people who saw the unedited Japanese version will incessantly moan about how the episodes were butchered, but I found them to be very well put together. I felt that the story went in a logical manner, with no gaps in storytelling. The stories were easy to follow, and made a lot of sense, even showing some of the old Tezuka humor found in the 60's series.

I will see more episodes over the rest of the week [in 3 episode groups] and I will give my reactions in subsequent posts.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

I just watched the first 1/2 of ep 23, in which Uranium is introduced. Her voice could have been cuter, but I have heard worse. The thing was 20:13 long, while the Japanese original was 23:19, plus the 15 second preview. I have not examined any others yet.

One good thing is that it does have closed captions.

Why, oh why, did they put it on Saturday mornings? Case Closed was about a cute little kid, but it was on Adult Swim. ;)

EvilGenki
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby EvilGenki » 19 years ago

All I really want to know is..

Is this really worth buying?

Should I spend my $60 on something like the mangas instead?

Oh, and what's the "making of.." like, if there is one?

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 19 years ago

Where might I find this DVD collection? Is it in english and can it be set to show the orriginal Japanese version with no edits?
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Mdlbigcat
Metro City Citizen

Originally posted by dannavy85@Apr 1 2005, 04:43 AM
Where might I find this DVD collection? Is it in english and can it be set to show the original Japanese version with no edits?

You can find it in any US big box store like Best Buy, Circuit City, Tower Records, etc [in the Anime' section]. It is the [English, Spanish, Portugese] USA version shown way too briefly on TV. It cannot be set to the Japanese version.

The best thing is you get to see the 29 episodes that never got shown on US TV.

Of course if you saw the Japanese version, then this DVD set will tick you off as I have seen on the posts on this board.

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

Originally posted by EvilGenki@Apr 1 2005, 02:47 AM
All I really want to know is..

Is this really worth buying?

Should I spend my $60 on something like the mangas instead?

Oh, and what's the "making of.." like, if there is one?

It's worth buying if you can get it at a discount price, like 30 to 40 dollars, but don't pay the full 50 or above. I've been watching more of the set and I can get used to it. There were some funny jokes that were only on the American edit, like an anti-robot leader calling Astro's sister a "pink punk" :lol: Makes for good comic relief, so it's not all bad.

The original Japanese version is superior in more ways than one, for one thing it's unedited. The editing is largely due to comercial time(and there's a lot of it in America), and as the making of special featurette described, there was way to much drama and violence for a Saturday morning kids show and then said it seemed like an adult show. <_< Duh, then show it on primetime, like they always do in Japan, that way if any kid gets freaked out, then mom or dad can comfort them.

If you get it, but the edits tick you off, then you can get the unedited Japanese version here:
http://www.discountanimedvd.com/detail.asp?dvdno=14599

It contains all 50 episodes as well, in Japanese with English subs. Unfortunately it's also full-screen instead of wide-screen, but it's still worth the 62 dollars. If that costs to much then you can buy it in 3 seperate vols. one at a time here:
http://www.discountanimedvd.com/product_li...vd.asp?cate=233

As far as manga is concered, by all means, buy all the mangas. I have all 23 vols. and there awesome, no American tampering here. ;)

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Mdlbigcat@Mar 31 2005, 08:28 PM
Of course if you saw the Japanese version, then this DVD set will tick you off as I have seen on the posts on this board.

Actually it's not the deleted scenes that bothers me. Astro's english voice dubbing is the main reason why I neglect to buy this release. Knowing the 80's version, I just can't get used to his new series' voice.
The french dubbing is nearly identical to the english one, but the sound of Astro's french voice is hit far better IMO.

Like the french people say:
"C'est la tone qui fait la musique". (It's the tone which makes the music)
;)

*If you could read this, you don't need any glasses*
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

Mdlbigcat
Metro City Citizen

Originally posted by Strange Wings@Apr 2 2005, 07:09 AM

Actually it's not the deleted scenes that bothers me. Astro's english voice dubbing is the main reason why I neglect to buy this release. Knowing the 80's version, I just can't get used to his new series' voice.
The french dubbing is nearly identical to the english one, but the sound of Astro's french voice is hit far better IMO.

Like the french people say:
"C'est la tone qui fait la musique". (It's the tone which makes the music)
;)

*If you could read this, you don't need any glasses*

On the contrary, based on the few 80's episodes I have on my hard drive, the Astro Boy voice from that series SUCKS! :angry:
The 60's voice and the 2003 voice sounds more "boyish" than the "girlie" voice on the 80's series.

Breakman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Breakman » 19 years ago

I was really looking forward toward buying/watching the English release of the DVDs. Although $40 is a good price for the so called 50 episodes, I surely wanted them unedited. The voices I could stand but not the editing. I can't buy the Japanese version because $62 is way too much for my wallet. *sigh* How can I ever get my Astro fix?

My favorite voice of Astro is the 60's version. First impressions stays the longest. ^^; The 80's and 2000's just seem... not him. The 80's really sounded girlish and the 2000's sounded too rough...

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”