Why I hate the Michael Eisner Company

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 19 years ago

Here's a link to an article from the Kimba the White Lion site:

http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm

I won't ever buy Disney's version, but I have all 52 eps. of the Kimba series. :lol: I love it. He's Astro in the guise of a white lion cub. Kimba fights for justice and equallity for animals and humans, just like Astro does for robots and humans. The same Tezuka message in a different setting.

So please, next time you're tempted to buy Disney's version, buy the original Tezuka's Kimba. And spread the word of this great art. ;)

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 19 years ago

Even though I dislike Disney, if Kimba was an inspiration for the Lion King it's a big compliment that would have pleased Tezuka greatly even if he never got anything from it.

But you know what's real sweet? Disney's only Oscar award was complimentary not official (Snow White) and the only Oscar ever won under a Disney label was a Miyazaki classic. ; ) Too bad for the dumb mouse.

I bet the racist/anti-semetic Walt was turning in his grave.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 19 years ago

NO DISS'NG WALT WHEN I'M AROUND! :angry: Disney on the other hand is different. I've been mad at them for a while. Not because of The Lion King. I still don't think that was a rip off. I'm just mainly mad at Michael Eisner for doing stupid things like;
Constant Straight to video sequels
Firing the animation staff in favor of Computer animation
Disney used to be a cool company. A force to be reconed with in entertainment. Now their just a straight to video joke and it's really sad.
I am going to have to agree on one thing though. It does seem that they had a lot of inspiration from Tezuka's Kimba. I'm pretty sure when making the Lion King they looked at a bunch of other movies about lions (If there even are any) and Kimba was one of them. They should give at least worthy mention of Kimba if they did get their ideas from them. I guess being born and raised off of Disney, I have trouble accepting that they would rip anything off. Well, Eisner proboly did. I've recently lost a lot of respect for him.

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Originally posted by Dragonrider1227@Apr 13 2005, 11:07 PM
NO DISS'NG WALT WHEN I'M AROUND! :angry: Disney on the other hand is different. I've been mad at them for a while. Not because of The Lion King. I still don't think that was a rip off. I'm just mainly mad at Michael Eisner for doing stupid things like;
Constant Straight to video sequels
Firing the animation staff in favor of Computer animation
Disney used to be a cool company. A force to be reconed with in entertainment. Now their just a straight to video joke and it's really sad.
I am going to have to agree on one thing though. It does seem that they had a lot of inspiration from Tezuka's Kimba. I'm pretty sure when making the Lion King they looked at a bunch of other movies about lions (If there even are any) and Kimba was one of them. They should give at least worthy mention of Kimba if they did get their ideas from them. I guess being born and raised off of Disney, I have trouble accepting that they would rip anything off. Well, Eisner proboly did. I've recently lost a lot of respect for him.

Kimba to Michael Eisner:
:P

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 19 years ago

It is hard to judge some of the things Walt did, in part because of the context of when he did them. Regardless of his feelings toward racism, etc. He believed in animation as a higher artform and using it to tell important stories. There IS a reason that Tezuka idolized Walt, and I think it is really unfair to judge the man 65 years later--and I say 65 years later, because I feel like that was the only real Walt. The walt that saw his dream more or less crash with Fantasia. Those films--Snow White, Pinnochio (sp?), Bambi, Dumbo and Fantasia are some of the best animation ever produced and Walt took enormous economic risks (nearly bankrupting himself) making those films. Kimba is a HUGE nod to Bambi (in case you haven't noticed), and Tezuka happily admits his affection for Disney. It is pretty sad that the Eisner company can't admit the same...
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Originally posted by O2Destroyer@Apr 20 2005, 01:12 PM
It is hard to judge some of the things Walt did, in part because of the context of when he did them. Regardless of his feelings toward racism, etc. He believed in animation as a higher artform and using it to tell important stories. There IS a reason that Tezuka idolized Walt, and I think it is really unfair to judge the man 65 years later--and I say 65 years later, because I feel like that was the only real Walt. The walt that saw his dream more or less crash with Fantasia. Those films--Snow White, Pinnochio (sp?), Bambi, Dumbo and Fantasia are some of the best animation ever produced and Walt took enormous economic risks (nearly bankrupting himself) making those films. Kimba is a HUGE nod to Bambi (in case you haven't noticed), and Tezuka happily admits his affection for Disney. It is pretty sad that the Eisner company can't admit the same...

Well said. I don't have much against Walt Disney or his art. What I am against is the direction that Michael Eisner has taken the company. They're just another monopolising corrupt company like Enron.

Loüßëãr
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Loüßëãr » 19 years ago

I don't like to get political when it comes to thinks like ENTERTAINMENT!! yes, I think thats all it boils down to, is that these people are trying to ENTERTAIN PEOPLE!! I know that Disney and Pixar are in the fore when it comes to this kind of genre, but they do make good quality films (ducks the flying Tomatoes) Its not like they use the profits to make Nuclear arms or to uproot the Rainforests. In Australia, we don't get as much of the hooplah about Disney, so maybe I'm missing something, but they employ people, giving out some (yes I conceed they don't give out enough) of the money we put in to their company. But I, like others still believe in Walt's vision of the world, and having grown up with the Disney experience like Snow white and Bambi, would like to share that vision and hope with my kids. I think we need to start looking at the world through childrens eyes a bit more. I might end up getting Black Balled for this, But, if Disney refuse to admit their plagiarism, SO WHAT!! WE KNOW THE TRUTH!! Tesuka was a true gentleman and just because the compliment wasnt returned only means that the DIsney Corp has NO MANNERS!!! I may be oversimplifying things but I think we need to start SIMLIFYING A LOT MORE!!! Things might be a lot better if we do.

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Loüßëãr@Apr 21 2005, 02:47 PM
I think thats all it boils down to, is that these people are trying to ENTERTAIN PEOPLE!!

Have you read Tezuka's message? (or even better, the non-boiled down version of it that appears in one of the preludes of the Adolph books)? Although I do think Tezuka was an entertainer, he certainly had an agenda that one might call political (perhaps even religious or spiritual; certainly humanitarian). I know what you're driving at, but I just wanted to take issue with what you've said in this one little sentence: that these people (Walt and Osamu) had bigger plans than just entertaining. Indeed, that is just what happened in the Disney company when Walt nearly bankrupted his company--Roy Senior stepped in (not the Roy that just left Disney and has been working so hard to oust Eisner) and told his brother just that: It is time to put you high mindedness aside and start entertaining! Tezuka on the other hand always found an even keel, he knew how to entertain while never losing track of his message (which apparently resounded strongly with the Japanese people). I mean, there is no question that Tezuka is a fantastic, if not even wildly imaginative story teller, but behind MOST of it, you can still see the Buddhist and the Humanitarian--and I have problems saying that is JUST entertainment.

(actually, you never said they were JUST entertainers, so I'll apologize in advance if I've misunderstood your words).
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Originally posted by O2Destroyer@Apr 22 2005, 01:28 PM
Have you read Tezuka's message? (or even better, the non-boiled down version of it that appears in one of the preludes of the Adolph books)?

The one I've read is:

What I try to appeal though my works is simple. The opinion is just a simply message that follows:
"Love all the creatures! Love everything that has life!"
I have been trying to express this message in every one of my works.

Is there another version? (A summary, that is. Obviously this is more encompassing.)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”