Did you ever find mistakes?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 19 years ago

Here are mine... I'm sure you have more. :) I thought it would be interesting to post them, and it gave me an opportunity to try to make animated gifs from vids! :wahah:

The first one I found is from Blackie Young. Daddy Walrus put his left foot under Astro's!

Second one, from Blackie Young again. When Doctor Elefun calls Astro from his home, he says: "I need you at the ministry righ away". Oops...

Third, from Speeding Through the Storm. When Astro watches from the lodge as the nearby house is carried by the water, he has his clothes on. But right before and after that, he doesn't. I wonder if it's because that sequence was drawn at the same time as the previous windows scenes, in which Astro still wore his clothes (and rightfully so).

I don't really consider the last one as a mistake since it is the result of a cut in the French version. Those cuts have caused many "mistakes", strange events or poor decision from the characters, but I found this one really hilarious. As Alvin asks Astro if he is sure they are going in the right direction in Save the Carolina 3, the French dubbing has Astro reply (or replying? :unsure: ):

"Sure. I don't look like it, but I'm more precise than a compass!"

Then, later in the episode, as Astro faces Skunk and his men in the Carolina 3, here is exactly what happens in the French version:

What an amazing display of precision, Astro... :rolleyes: I think I'll stick with my compass!

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever@Jun 1 2005, 01:34 AM
I don't really consider the last one as a mistake since it is the result of a cut in the French version.  Those cuts have caused many "mistakes", strange events or poor decision from the characters, but I found this one really hilarious.  As Alvin asks Astro if he is sure they are going in the right direction in [b]Save the Carolina 3, the French dubbing has Astro reply (or replying?  :unsure:  ):

"Sure.  I don't look like it, but I'm more precise than a compass!"

Then, later in the episode, as Astro faces Skunk and his men in the Carolina 3, here is exactly what happens in the French version:

What an amazing display of precision, Astro...  :rolleyes:   I think I'll stick with my compass! [/b]

:lol: So that's what he's saying in french. The english line is something like "For the last time Alvin, yes, I'm sure!".

The cuts are awful in that episode. How could they leave Astro doing such an incompetent thing with his lasers? :angry:
I wonder whether Tezuka had been aware of those edits being made to the whole 80's series, however I'm not even sure if he actually could have done something against those cuts.

As for the mistakes appearing in picture and sound, so far I hadn't deliberately searched after them, though there are a few ones which occured to me:

Dr. Elefun's hand behind Astro's ...................................... The Sultan's hand before Abra
shoulder instead on. ........................................................ instead behind.
(both from the ep 'The Greatest Robot In The World Pt. 1&2' ;)

Dr. Elefun's weird squint. ..................................................... Astro's hair on his forehead
(showing in the ep 'The Snow Leopard' ;) ............................ left uncolored (ep 'Outer
............................................................................................. Spaceport R 45' ;)

Astro's boots left uncolored.
(ep 'Save The Classmates' ;)

I don't find them particular disturbing since these mistakes are just 'glimpses', appearing no longer than for a second or so.
I'm rather considering those mistakes as a proof for the animators' human nature.
After all, nobody's perfect ;) . Pehaps they stood a bit under pressure by schedules and dead lines to keep in at the production.
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by Strange Wings+Jun 1 2005, 11:38 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strange Wings @ Jun 1 2005, 11:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
:lol: So [i]that's
what he's saying in french. The english line is something like "For the last time Alvin, yes, I'm sure!".[/b]

Astro sounds more impatient in French in that scene. :D After Alvin asked him to go faster and then to slow down, Astro says something like "You better know what you want!" (not word for word but I wanted to keep the meaning), which is funnier than "But you asked me to...". (BTW, feel free to ask about any line you didn't understand, Strange Wings, I'd be glad to help. :) )

Originally posted by -Strange Wings@Jun 1 2005, 11:38 AM
The cuts are awful in that episode. How could they leave Astro doing such an incompetent thing with his lasers? :angry:

Well, I have to recognize that it must be hard to aim at something with lasers that follow such an odd arc trajectory! :lol:

<!--QuoteBegin--Strange Wings[/i]@Jun 1 2005, 11:38 AM
I don't find them particular disturbing since these mistakes are just 'glimpses', appearing no longer than for a second or so.
I'm rather considering those mistakes as a proof for the animators' human nature.
After all, nobody's perfect ;) . Pehaps they stood a bit under pressure by schedules and dead lines to keep in at the production
[/quote]
I totally agree, they aren't disturbing at all. It's a good thing they made some, because I am having fun with them! Thanks for sharing yours. :)

Another one, from Save the Classmate. Purple or yellow? No matter what happens, Mrs Gordon is always ready to change clothes:
ImageImage

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

I have seen plenty of these errors in the 60s episodes, but 1 example:

Watch very closely (and having slow motion and pause will help) as Atom is dresssed for school in Astroboy goes to school. I think the same error occurs with Uranium. It is this: there were two artists employed to draw the frames, 1 drew the foreground, the other, the background. As the press came down (supposedly around our friends), it was drawn in the foreground, while they were drawn in the background. :lol: Thus, they were in effect, standing not beneath it, but behind it. :D I know I have pics, but I am too tired to find them, or to make new ones. :P

Astro Forever
Administrator

Haha! Is it very obvious or not really?

So far, we have yet to find something from the 2000 series... And what about the manga?

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever+Jun 1 2005, 05:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astro forever @ Jun 1 2005, 05:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Astro sounds more impatient in French in that scene.  :D  After Alvin asked him to go faster and then to slow down, Astro says something like "You better know what you want!" (not word for word but I wanted to keep the meaning), which is funnier than "But you asked me to...". (BTW, feel free to ask about any line you didn't understand, Strange Wings, I'd be glad to help. :) )
[/b]

:wahah: Thank you, that would be great. Do you happen to have the french version of 'The World Of Odin'/'La tombeau d'Odin'?
There are some french lines in that ep which I have some trouble to understand since they're spoken quite fast.
If you could help me out with some translations, that would be very kind. B)

As long as the spoken french lines are pronounced slow and clear I manage to figure out the meaning of them (also with some dictionaries' help).
The faster the spoken words, the more trouble I seem to have understanding them.

I think I'll create a new topic entitled as: "Learning french with Astroboy".
I never ever had more enthusiasm learning french than doing it in that way.
:lol:

<!--QuoteBegin--Astro forever
@Jun 1 2005, 05:36 PM
Another one, from [b]Save the Classmate. Purple or yellow? No matter what happens, Mrs Gordon is always ready to change clothes:[/b][/quote]
I suppose she changed her clothes for witnessing the special event as Alvin got his podex full. :D

While we're at it about mistakes, apparently there's another scene which has been omitted from including on the MadMan release, namely in the ep 'Robio & Robiette' just as Astro left the changing room to enter the race:

Crowd yelling: "There's Astro! Go go, Astro! Go go Astro!"

Crowd yelling: "Go go, Astro! Go go Astro!"
Astro: "I feel so embarassed!"

Just like Astro's bow in the kimono, these are really violent scenes, arent they? <_<
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」

- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by Strange Wings@Jun 2 2005, 11:41 AM
:wahah: Thank you, that would be great. Do you happen to have the french version of '[b]The World Of Odin'/'La tombeau d'Odin'?
There are some french lines in that ep which I have some trouble to understand since they're spoken quite fast.
If you could help me out with some translations, that would be very kind. B)

As long as the spoken french lines are pronounced slow and clear I manage to figure out the meaning of them (also with some dictionaries' help).
The faster the spoken words, the more trouble I seem to have understanding them.

I think I'll create a new topic entitled as: "Learning french with Astroboy".
I never ever had more enthusiasm learning french than doing it in that way.
:lol: [/b]

Sure, go ahead! :)

While we're at it about mistakes, apparently there's another scene which has been omitted from including on the MadMan release, namely in the ep '[b]Robio & Robiette' just as Astro left the changing room to enter the race:

Crowd yelling: "There's Astro! Go go, Astro! Go go Astro!"

Crowd yelling: "Go go, Astro! Go go Astro!"
Astro: "I feel so embarassed!"

Just like Astro's bow in the kimono, these are really violent scenes, arent they? <_< [/b]

Yes! :lol: But if it wasn't in the Madman release, where did you get that scene?

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever@Jun 2 2005, 07:00 PM
Yes! :lol: But if it wasn't in the Madman release, where did you get that scene?

There are Japanese versions roaming around :P
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by fafner+Jun 2 2005, 01:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fafner @ Jun 2 2005, 01:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Astro forever@Jun 2 2005, 07:00 PM

There are Japanese versions roaming around :P [/b][/quote]
Oh, I see! How about a "Learning Japanese with Astroboy" thread? B)

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 19 years ago

Originally posted by Astro forever+Jun 2 2005, 08:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Astro forever @ Jun 2 2005, 08:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -fafner@Jun 2 2005, 01:38 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Astro forever
@Jun 2 2005, 07:00 PM
[b]Yes! :lol: But if it wasn't in the Madman release, where did you get that scene?

There are Japanese versions roaming around :P [/b]

Oh, I see! How about a "Learning Japanese with Astroboy" thread? B)[/b][/quote]
There is already one :D

Edit
I knew there was another topic on Japanese language somewhere with more posts, I finally found it:
http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/inde...T&f=2&t=506&hl=
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”