80's DUB

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
astroboykickedmyass
Metro City Citizen

Postby astroboykickedmyass » 18 years ago

am I the only one who prefers the 80's dub and the 80's series in general as the better of the three??

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by astroboykickedmyass@Dec 30 2005, 02:49 PM
am I the only one who prefers the 80's dub and the 80's series in general as the better of the three??

If you are thinking of the English dub, I agree. But both French dubs (80 and 2003) are the best IMO, even over the Japanese dubs. :)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

I just receiced the set as an unexpected gift. Thanks, Atoman! :lol:
I suppose I will watch it late night, when I have the family room all to myself. :P

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Dec 30 2005, 06:45 PM
I just receiced the set as an unexpected gift. Thanks, Atoman! :lol:
I suppose I will watch it late night, when I have the family room all to myself. :P

There's nothing like watching an Astroboy episode before going to bed! :D Enjoy! :)

jennytablina
Metro City Citizen

Postby jennytablina » 18 years ago

I like the US dub for the 80's series as it remains truest to the original series yes. Though I have yet to see the US dub for the 60's series so I withhold judgement till I do see the 60's series

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

I am puzzled by the statement found in both the booklet that accompanies the 80s DVD. It states that Tezuka was unsatisfied with the 1960s series, & "regretted that" it "did not reflect the intention of the original comics, & that Astroboy had become just [emphasis added by jeffbert] a robot hero, because the series continued over 4 long years" (inside front cover, last para.).
I, for one, cannot see how this could be. If this means that the longevity itself was the cause, I cannot see how.

In terms of the similarities between the manga and the 60s series versus the manga & the 80s series, it seems to me that there is no contest: the 60s series has the greater similarities. Of course, this assumes that there were only the two manga stories that were ommitted from the manga books; & therefore, that my knowledge of the manga is nearly complete.

The physical comedy that seems to be the hallmark of Tezuka's style is fully reproduced in the 60s anime. In fact, there is more of it in the 60s animated versions of the manga stories, than there is in the manga stories themselves.

The stories themselves were more accurately reproduced in the 1960s than in the 1980s. In terms of the comedy, the 60s was not taking itself too seriously, as the 80s clearly was. Tezuka deliberately added comic elements when the stories became too serious (Hyutan-Tsugi).

If the statement meant that when the series ended, it failed to have presented a certain message, because it lasted 4 years, the comics spanned three decades, and were written for diffferent readers, from boys (Shonen), to adults (The Sankei Shinbun), & thus contained different values (comedy vs. drama). However, there seemed to be no single value statement found in all the publications, other than equality for Sentient Beings. :lol:

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

I hate to make a generalization, but being self-effacing and overly self-critical seems a habit of some of the most talanted Japanese creators. Kurosawa seemed dissatisfied with a lot of his films, Miyazaki is constantly ragging on his own work, I'm sure this is the same thing.

Myself, I never understood how Kurosawa hated Stray Dog so much--it might really be one of his best films.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

jennytablina
Metro City Citizen

Postby jennytablina » 18 years ago

Originally posted by jeffbert@Jan 1 2006, 09:55 AM
I am puzzled by the statement found in both the booklet that accompanies the 80s DVD. It states that Tezuka was unsatisfied with the 1960s series, & "regretted that" it "did not reflect the intention of the original comics, & that Astroboy had become just [emphasis added by jeffbert] a robot hero, because the series continued over 4 long years" (inside front cover, last para.).
I, for one, cannot see how this could be. If this means that the longevity itself was the cause, I cannot see how.

In terms of the similarities between the manga and the 60s series versus the manga & the 80s series, it seems to me that there is no contest: the 60s series has the greater similarities. Of course, this assumes that there were only the two manga stories that were ommitted from the manga books; & therefore, that my knowledge of the manga is nearly complete.

The physical comedy that seems to be the hallmark of Tezuka's style is fully reproduced in the 60s anime. In fact, there is more of it in the 60s animated versions of the manga stories, than there is in the manga stories themselves.

The stories themselves were more accurately reproduced in the 1960s than in the 1980s. In terms of the comedy, the 60s was not taking itself too seriously, as the 80s clearly was. Tezuka deliberately added comic elements when the stories became too serious (Hyutan-Tsugi).

If the statement meant that when the series ended, it failed to have presented a certain message, because it lasted 4 years, the comics spanned three decades, and were written for diffferent readers, from boys (Shonen), to adults (The Sankei Shinbun), & thus contained different values (comedy vs. drama). However, there seemed to be no single value statement found in all the publications, other than equality for Sentient Beings. :lol:

A good artist never gets too satisfied with their own work. The problem is, if an artist gets too satisfied with his/her work then you get stuck doing the same thing. It may be that Tezuka regreats not moving on from Astro quicker because he could have belted out more ideas than sticking with the same one.

sugarwolf
Kokoro Robot

Postby sugarwolf » 18 years ago

i have not seen the 60s episodes but i have seen some of the latest series and was not overly impressed (it was ok)...so i would have to say the 80s dub !
something that particularly stands out for me in the 80s series is the soundtrack and music . stuff like the 'Atlas theme' and its variations, plus some of the other darker pieces still sound amazing... just real simple haunting things, something i think that can be over looked.

:D

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 18 years ago

dubbing wise? Yes. It may not be the BEST acting job i've ever heard, but at least the dubbers of the 80s version kept Astro's character intact.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”