New here... quick question

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
LG79
Kokoro Robot

New here... quick question

Postby LG79 » 18 years ago

Hey all.

Back when I was young, and that was when the '80's series was new, I remember the versions I watched had different names than the current Re-Issued 80's series on DVD. For example, Dr Boynton was Professor Balfus, Dr Elefun was Dr Peabody, Uran was Sara, Atlas' wife was Selena, etc etc.

I mean, maybe the versions I watched here in Canada were different somehow, but I know I am not crazy...

Anyone else remember this? or know anything about it? I would love to find a way to get my hands on those issues.

I am guessing the name of Commenterk was changed too. Alas...

Mark
Administrator

Postby Mark » 18 years ago

From what I understand, there were two dubbed versions made of the Astroboy series. One was made in Canada - the version screened in the US - and one in Australia.

According to Wikipedia, Anchor Bay released a box set of the 1980s version using the US/Canadian soundtrack, though it doesn't mention this specifically on the Anchor Bay site, you might want to contact them.

LG79
Kokoro Robot

Postby LG79 » 18 years ago

Apparently, as I read through more and more posts on this board, the Canadian Dub of the show is very hard to come by. I would assume, by the names used on the anchor bay site, that the version used/sold there is the US dub, as Dr Balfus as I know him is Dr Boynton.

Perhaps I should look a little deeper and see what I can come up with.

But thank you very much Mark. I will bookmark the links you gave me, as I am sure they will come in handy.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

LG79 wrote:Apparently, as I read through more and more posts on this board, the Canadian Dub of the show is very hard to come by. I would assume, by the names used on the anchor bay site, that the version used/sold there is the US dub, as Dr Balfus as I know him is Dr Boynton.

Perhaps I should look a little deeper and see what I can come up with.

But thank you very much Mark. I will bookmark the links you gave me, as I am sure they will come in handy.
Mark is right. As far as I know, the English Canadian version isn't available. The French Canadian dubbing (which has the same edits) isn't either, though it came out in France, with minor differences (not in the episodes themselves though, more in the opening/closing credits and the game).

You may find this thread insteresting, it lists the differences between the versions: http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2888

It's hilarious to watch the Canadian/French version once you know what is really supposed to happen! :D But still good for the nostalgia factor! :cool:

If you have a good memory, you can add information, such as the characters name for example. I didn't know Livian became Selena. I'll add it. :)

Oh yes, for those interested: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AQKU6S/qid=1142233682/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/701-1317390-5092337

It's the US English dubbing, available in Canada, with Japanese audio! :D

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 18 years ago

I remember that one too from the mid-80's Max McNugget and Albert Peabody.

Astro Forever
Administrator

dannavy85 wrote:I remember that one too from the mid-80's Max McNugget and Albert Peabody.

You saw it too? Wow. Was McNugget Daddy Walrus?

It's really too bad I never thought of turning the TV to the national English channel back then. I could have had a double dose of Astro! :cool:

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 18 years ago

I liked that Canadian version better than this current DVD release, the English on the DVD's is pathetic even for a kids show. No emotion from the voice actors, choppy and campy filled lines. I have it but I can't sit through every episode without being turned off.

Oh well, there's always the subtitled japanese version.

Danny
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Danny » 18 years ago

Last edited by Danny on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
three and a half years.. for what?

Astro Forever
Administrator

The Canadian dub isn't available on DVD, as far as I know. But the English dub you are used to is available in the US, and that version includes Japanese audio and English subtitles.

I don't know where you can find the best price though, but as a reference, here is the set. It's not written that the Japanese audio is included. I own it and it's not even written on the box itself, which I thought was weird.

We had a thread on this, but I can't seem to find it right now. I'll post it when I'll find it.

EDIT: Here is the thread.

Note that one of the reviews on the Amazon page speaks about Madman's release, which is different, but apparently the user who wrote it just assumed it was exactly the same thing. I wouldn't blame her as even the extras listed on Amazon's page aren't right. It doesn't include the first two Japanese episodes, but some short scenes were put back.
Last edited by Astro Forever on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

I've just bought it indirectly through that link. If you click on "61 used & new from $21.86" it shows all the cheap places to get it. DigitalEyes is showing up as the cheapest at the moment, so I went with them (plus I've bought from them before). It's actually $2 more if you buy directly from their site. Postage to Australia should be US$13.75 for an 8-disc set. You'll need to be able to play NTSC R1 DVDs of course, but I suspect you know how to go about that. ;)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”