The Canadian Dub IS ON THE WAY!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 15 years ago

I didn't get the time to watch it yet (or, should I say, I didn't get very far into the episode yet) but congratulations for making it and thank you very much! :D

MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 15 years ago

I enjoyed it Fauna. I'd love to buy this version one day. It would be fun to watch both english dubs back to back and compare them.

mr skunk
Robot President

Postby mr skunk » 15 years ago

I love you.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
"Make like siamese twins and split.... and then one of you die."

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 15 years ago

Kudos to you, Fauna for getting the Canadian dub of "Astroboy" out there! But guys wouldn't it be more accurate to call the so-called "American version", the "Official English dub"! After all it is this version that is sanctioned by Tezuka Pro. & NTV as they were the ones to hire Battaglia & Lewis, & company to do a straight forward translation of their series! And while the Canadian dub is lighter in tone, it also is shorter in length as Cinelume made many cuts to make the show adaptable to Canadian standards! And the show was widely seen in Australia, whereas here it only aired briefly on at least one UHF channel and was barely seen here in the U.S.A. at all! Anyway congrats to you Fauna!

Anapan
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Anapan » 15 years ago

WOW! Thanks Fauna! I've wanted to see an episode of the Canadian version again for soo long (14 years maybe). The voices are just like a remember them! You did a pretty good job. These are off of VHS, right? I have a good capture card and quite a bit of experience in capturing and cleaning up VHS rips. Do you think you'd be willing to send me the tapes for a few days and let me try capturing them? I'd be more than happy to send you a fully remastered DVD in return.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 15 years ago

"Anapan" wrote:WOW! Thanks Fauna! I've wanted to see an episode of the Canadian version again for soo long (14 years maybe). The voices are just like a remember them! You did a pretty good job. These are off of VHS, right? I have a good capture card and quite a bit of experience in capturing and cleaning up VHS rips. Do you think you'd be willing to send me the tapes for a few days and let me try capturing them? I'd be more than happy to send you a fully remastered DVD in return.

Actually, I took the audio from a DVD-R that AstroBuddy made me, using his own video tape copy. (Don't get mad at me again for publicizing this, Jeffbert!)

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TasZero » 15 years ago

How did you do it? From the quality of the sound you put a microphone up to a tv playing it right? Unless the original VHS is really poor quality?

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 15 years ago

"TasZero" wrote:How did you do it? From the quality of the sound you put a microphone up to a tv playing it right? Unless the original VHS is really poor quality?

...You can tell? :blush:

That's indeed what I did, but the VHS quality was pretty crunchy to begin with.

MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 15 years ago

I thought it turned out pretty nicely all things considered though.

I must say I do prefer the North American version for the main reason that it contains slightly more material than the Canadian. I presume that most if not all of the episodes in Canada are slightly edited down like this one is.

My favourite version of all however would be the Japanese with subtitles if it ever became available.

That way I'd be guaranteed to get the entire thing complete and uncut. No offense meant to the makers of the dubs of course.

TasZero
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby TasZero » 15 years ago

Yes, I can agree to that, I would like the dubs better if they were not so heavily edited, but I guess its too late to go an fix it now.
I could also enjoy a subbed version of the orignal Japanese, but I see it as highly unlikely. After all the good luck with the dvd release of the 60s and 80s I don't expect any more.

Crunchy indeed, I would have used a two way headphone lead (audio cable) to record the VHS's audio with my computer, but not everyone can do that.

Again though, nice work, its a pity you are the only person I know of who has shared the episode with anyone (since the original broadcasts)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”