I saw the new astroboy movie!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
cybotron
Robot Revolutionary

Postby cybotron » 14 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:[QUOTE=EvilGenki;92574]It was raining when I went at 3.30pm and it was also the first showing. It was only me and a son and father in the theatre. Im going to see it tomorrow night and hopefully there will be some more people. :)

I hate crowded theaters. :D [/QUOTE]
Well the multiplex HAD aSTRO PLAYING IN THE FARTHEST AND SIMPLEST THEATER. But the screen was average. But there were about a dozen people. First show, 12:25, pouring rain.....
I had a blast! :w00t:
[sigpic]http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=200&dateline=1323970671[/sigpic]Safe :ninja:

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Meeshell » 14 years ago

"drakeshe" wrote:[QUOTE=Meeshell;92550]awww dang
i wanna kno what happens in the last 10 seconds

The big monster appears randomly and starts shooting the city.
Image[/QUOTE]

eh? wow.....random...=(
thank you very much

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

"Meeshell" wrote:[QUOTE=drakeshe;92551][QUOTE=Meeshell;92550]awww dang
i wanna kno what happens in the last 10 seconds

The big monster appears randomly and starts shooting the city.
Image[/QUOTE]

eh? wow.....random...=(
thank you very much[/QUOTE]

My brother and I came up with something about this. "The Artificial Sun is back...AND IT THIRSTS FOR REVENGE!"
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

EvilGenki
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby EvilGenki » 14 years ago

The ending really gets you ready for a second one. :) I doubt there will be though.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

Hey, if Dragonball can get a sequel... >>

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

With the eye in it, it reminds me of The Crawling Eye, 1 of those great 'horror' films of the 50s & 60s. :lol:

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

I get the feeling that's what they were going for

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

I got this private message:

tonigirl1000 wrote:hi- hugs thanks- love all of you- seen the astro boy movie- and loved it so much- pray all of you the very best possible always- your toni always a devoted fangirl fan of ASTRO BOY always-
send all of you love and friendship always
:) :wub: :heart: :astro:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm probably going to see it this evening.

tinlunlau
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby tinlunlau » 14 years ago

"Fauna" wrote:I saw it! Two and a half years of following every single detail of the movie, anticipating every single render that reached the internet, adjusting myself to the character designs...now it came down to this. What do I think of it?

I enjoyed it greatly, and so did my brother. In short, here's a macro describing how I feel:

Also, we tried staying after the credits, because we heard something important was after them. All that's there is a picture of Astro and a crowd in a tour cart, with the caption "When in Hong Kong, visit Imagi Studios!" There you go.

I think I might visit Imagi Studios in Hong Kong next time. Shoulda thought of that when I stayed there for a good 5 weeks, just about 2 years ago..
Last edited by tinlunlau on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

I've just seen it! :w00t:

I went in telling myself to keep an open mind so I wouldn't be disappointed if it was too different from the Astroboy I knew.

To my surprise, it took no effort to get into the story. I was not convinced about the 3D Astro yet, but it worked beautifully, with Astro having so much expression! :wub: I didn't like some of the plot, but it was still much better than other superheroe stories like, say, Spiderman III. Overall I liked it better than the 2003 series, but I do agree that it could have been more interesting if Tenma had been more mad. If they make a sequel, maybe they could find a way to cast him into more of a bad guy, that would be nice. :cool: Maybe with Atlas or the Blue Knight, who were nowhere to be found.

I enjoyed all the references to the other stories and Tezuka's world, like the bad robot getting bigger from other robot parts, the hyotantsugis (there was one that couldn't be missed at the end, but I believe I also saw one for a quarter of a second in the beginning), seeing Astroboy drawn more traditionally on the design sheet, Hamegg first presenting himself as a good guy, etc. It was full of references. :cool: Even the robot Astro woke up reminded me a lot of The Wreck of the Titan.

As for the voices, I saw the French version. It was said in the movie that Toby was 13. I thought Astro's voice sounded cute enough that it never crossed my mind that he was too old. He sounded more or less like the 2003 Astroboy (unless my memory of the 2003 series is off). If Astro had a Quebec accent, I didn't find it really noticeable (our European friends will probably be better able to make that distinction than I am). On the other hand, Tenma must certainly have lived in French Canada at some point in his life! :p It's no surprise that it was the actor's first dubbing experience, I guess.

I don't know how many people there were in the room. I saw somebody wearing a mask, but we were maybe only 20? There were a few adults without kids, and at this hour it's no suprise that there weren't too many people with kids. When Tenma took Toby's cap in his hands, the little boy behind me said "Toby est parti..." (Toby is gone).

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”