Another Stab at a Comic

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
J-MACHine
Kokoro Robot

Another Stab at a Comic

Postby J-MACHine » 14 years ago

Whilst it is definetly true that i've been gone for lord knows how long, i certainly haven't given up on a little story that's been knocking around in my brain for a while now. And, in light of Adrian_68 having another go at the older Astroboy Doujin, i figured i'd take a crack at putting my own into a very basic comic format at some point in the future.

As i have no pages drawn, i'm going to instead pump the thread full of original character designs. Part of the reason for this being that, i won't lie, the story focuses on them quite a bit, due to the theme of the story. Which i don't intend to spoil for you. :)

To give you a brief idea of what to expect, then i can summerize the whole story as this; A somewhat dark tale that, whilst still loaded with plenty of humerous and joyful moments, is still one trauma after another, littered with intense battles, a plot i hope is enthralling and will draw you all in, and a deeper look into the morals, opinions, and thoughts of the characters within. Official or otherwise. Oh, it may all end happilly enough, but, trust me; the cast is damn well going to have to earn their happy ending.
You can expect some very mild violence and swears, but i can assure you i'm not tasteless enough to divulge into mass F-Bomb drop's, Neon Genesis Evanglion-style Blood-From-the-Neck fountains of Gore, nor any gratouitous nudity.

(And should anybody wonder why i'm not begining with official characters, i have a decent enough reason; I'm hilariously out of practice at drawing the cast, and direly need to 're-train' myself to draw all of them.)

'Gyro'
"And how does flying around in tight spandex undies work for you, hmmm?"
A kid that goes only by the hanlde of "Gyro" that wound up appearing in Astro's neighbourhood one evening, whilst being chased by your run-of-the-mill thugs looking to steal an outsiders possesions. What they didn't realise is they would pick the one tourist that's not entirely human, and is often in a particuly foul mood. A strong and loyal companion if you happen to be in his good books, due to his deadpan snarker attitude, razor sharp wit, and his complete inability to realise when to hold back and give up on somthing. The origin of his cybernetic enhancements, however, is a depressing tale that puts into perspective why Gyro is in the horrible mood he very often is...
His robotic arm houses a hidden cannon, and he has a pair of jets installed in his shoes that allow him to fly.

No. 1 'Jay'
"Grao...?"
You'd be forgiven for looking at this creature and wondering, aloud, what the heck he's supposed to be, and where he even came from in the first place. Jay's original purpose was to be used as a prop for a fantasy-themed amusement park ride, hence his fantastic design. However, the scientist involved in his creation was in the Biology field, not the Robotic, and the plans were converted into a series of experiments based on the creation of organic life by messing with pre-existing DNA, Jay being the first developed, and filling the niche of the experiments 'Mammal' creature. The process is one that many, many religious sect's around the world are very adverse too. As a result, he and his creator are on the run, hopping from city-to-city in constant fear for their own saftey. Though Naive, Childlike, and Innocent in every sense, Jay is a vicious opponant to contend with, given his strong feline roots; however, Jay is very, very poor at detecting threats, and instead prefers to befriend anyone and everyone he meets. Oh, yes, and he isn't able to talk. He only communicates through a range of growls, his favorite being "Graaaooooooo", or variations on such.

(If you can't already the central theme running here, i shan't blame you for it. By just reading Jay's mini bio, you should have a slight idea, however...)

And that's all i've got at this point in time.
Last edited by J-MACHine on Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added two Character References
Astro: ¬__¬ Would it KILL YOU to be optomistic and posetive for once in your life?
Gyro: >> I don't want to risk it. Tried cracking a smile once; it wasn't a fun experience for anyone involved.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

Why not? :)

You just gave me an idea... If I ever try Nanowrimo again, I'll write an Astroboy fan fiction! :lol: (Okay, don't ask me why it never occured to me before now!)

J-MACHine
Kokoro Robot

I didn't know you've been a Nanowrimo participant in the past. That's acctually quite intriguing! I'd have tried my hand at writing this little comic idea as a FanFic, but, chances are, i'd wind up not finishing it. And i dunno how many people would read it, anyway. XD

Oh, yes, and after MUCH toiling with my scanner, photobucket, AND imageshack (after photobucket finally got on my nerves), i got around to updating the first post with the first couple of basic character references and miniture bio's. Expect more to crop up whenever i have the free time to do more.
Astro: ¬__¬ Would it KILL YOU to be optomistic and posetive for once in your life?

Gyro: >> I don't want to risk it. Tried cracking a smile once; it wasn't a fun experience for anyone involved.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 14 years ago

"J-MACHine" wrote:I didn't know you've been a Nanowrimo participant in the past. That's acctually quite intriguing! I'd have tried my hand at writing this little comic idea as a FanFic, but, chances are, i'd wind up not finishing it. And i dunno how many people would read it, anyway. XD

http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3335

I didn't make it to 50 000 words however. I'm just better (and faster!) at essays. It comes naturally to me. Fiction doesn't! :eek: I don't have enough time this year, there are other things I want to work on. I'm still glad I tried, I learned something about myself.

"J-MACHine" wrote:Oh, yes, and after MUCH toiling with my scanner, photobucket, AND imageshack (after photobucket finally got on my nerves), i got around to updating the first post with the first couple of basic character references and miniture bio's. Expect more to crop up whenever i have the free time to do more.

Good! :)

J-MACHine
Kokoro Robot

A Quick heads up to anybody reading the thread; I'm considering writing down a quick mid-story portion of the planned comic script to tantalize your tastes buds, as well as practicing numerous sketches of the official cast. Assuming anybody is interested in seeing them, i'd be more then happy to stick them up here.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 14 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:You just gave me an idea... If I ever try Nanowrimo again, I'll write an Astroboy fan fiction! :lol: (Okay, don't ask me why it never occured to me before now!)

I already did it :D However, beside never reaching the 50000 words, I didn't finish it either :( The fact is that I don't know how to finish it, so the last chapter goes blank somewhere in the middle :p (assuming that something unfinished can have a middle)
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

J-MACHine
Kokoro Robot

Fafner just provided the best example of something i'd do if i tried entering. XD
Which kind of makes this post ironic, given the very short peice of script i've done that i will (hopefully) turn into a quick practice page sometime in the week. Includes breief descriptions of the scene around the characters, to boot.

*Astro and Gyro appear only in 'dramatic' close-ups*
Gyro: Astro...?
Astro: Yeah...?
Gyro: I gotta ask you something...
Astro: Go ahead...
*Cue a pan-out, revealing the two of them being backed into a corner by what appears to be a small mob of mismatched and cruedly constructed robots*
Gyro: [sing-song tone] Did i fall into Dawn of the Dead v.s. The Terminator, or is this a standard thursday for you?
Astro: [unimpressed growl] Do you make sarcastic remarks about everything??
Gyro: [Genunly offended expression] Oi! Witty Commentary and Sarcasm are two entirely different things, thank you! Frankly, 'Calvin', i'm offended!
Astro: [sigh] and stop calling me Calvin...

Nothing to dramatic or action-packed, but, hey, it's a place to start, at least. And yes, the "Calvin" joke really is used knowing that it's a terrible 'joke' and i ought to have physical harm brought unto myself for it. And, no, it has nothing to do with Calvin and Hobbes, by the by. XD

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”