Talk about all things Astro Boy!
teugene50
On a Flight into Space

Postby teugene50 » 12 years ago

yeah,i understand now. oh well.

HanaImakura
Kokoro Robot

Postby HanaImakura » 12 years ago

"Nora" wrote:Okay does anyone know what it is, if its true, and dude...where can I find it.

Yes, it did. :) The 80's had a movie, too and we've all probably heard of the one done in the early 60's... I wish I could watch the good ones, though... That live action wasn't so great and 2009 was just as bad by taking out and changing too many beloved characters...
When you wish upon a star... Sometimes many things will spur from your wish later. :astro:

teugene50
On a Flight into Space

Postby teugene50 » 12 years ago

what about it.

Lalapalooza
Kokoro Robot

Postby Lalapalooza » 12 years ago

I agree with HanaImakura. The Astro Boy 2009 movie was not so great. I mean it wasn't bad, if you're four and don't understand what really going on. It really is lacking in the lovely characters of the tv shows. They could hav done much better i think. Still, I can't wait to see if they will try making a "real" actor movie of it! But it better be good.

Any way....

What was the name of the movie? All of them. 1960 1980 and 2003? If you give me the name, who made it.... I will do my hardest to find it. If anything I'll ask my uncle who lives in Japan and see what I can do as far as putting it on the internet (LEGALLY!)

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

There is one question I have about these films? Just how many of them are directly tied to the 03 series exactly?

I almost feel that they do given that they use teh same seiyu cast as the 03 series, and they have a similar design style only done on a movie budget based on the little I've seen. But then you have things such as Tobio dying differently. So, that's my major question.

Lalapalooza
Kokoro Robot

Yeah I was feeling the same way about the 2009 movie. It seems that they didn't really use all that much stuff from the 2003 anime, but mostly the 1960's and 1980's anime. Even in the end they show the artificial sun which was never mention in the 2003 anime.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

"Lalapalooza" wrote:Yeah I was feeling the same way about the 2009 movie. It seems that they didn't really use all that much stuff from the 2003 anime, but mostly the 1960's and 1980's anime. Even in the end they show the artificial sun which was never mention in the 2003 anime.

To be honest, I didn't mind that so much. Both teh 60's and 80's Astro Boy series are little more widely well know than the 03 series, so it makes sens ein my mind that they would use more stuff from those two sources than anything else.

What I cannot forgive is stuff like;
.O'Shay/Ochanimizu's role being greatly diminished
.The absence of characters such as Skunk and Tawashi (it
would have been awesome seeing eitehr one of them)
.Tenma witnessing his own child being vaporized in front of
hm
. And finally; Cage phoning in his performance as Tenma

Lalapalooza
Kokoro Robot

Yes I agree with the first three and the third one I did not know about, but that doesn't bug me only because I don't care for actors and actresses anyway.
I also feel that Astro Boy will never stopped being continued so when they made the movie more to the stories of the 60's and 80's I felt like they were cutting off any chance for there to be more stories of Astro. Maybe people would like Astro Boy 2003 better if it was advertised better. But of cores these are my own feelings. I really liked the 2003 episodes for their well thought-out-ness.
:astro: Believe in your Dreams; Be free :astro:

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Yeah, I know I'm probably being biased with Cage, but what bothers me is that everyone else is in teh movie and is doing their best whereas he feels like he's just acting. And considering Tenma's situation and how he deals with it, that's not a good thing. But, that's just me.

I don't know. I've heard the 03 series was received with mixed reaction from the Tezuka community, but I've come to find that it still has quite a few fans (myself included), so I think it did a little bit better than people give it credit for, it's just not as popular as teh oringial Astro Boy series were.

Lalapalooza
Kokoro Robot

I know how you feel. He truly did not play the part for Tenma well enough for me. His and Toby's story should have made me cry and feel sorry and happy near the end. No such greatness from him. His voice just doesn't hold that emotion that Tenma's character needed.

'03 got mixed reactions!? Sad :( I thought (going by the Moto quoted in Astro History) they would be like him and be ok with it. I think the real thing that mattered with it was the friendship and love shown, Konaka just made it ten times better when he gave it a plot, I think.
:astro: Believe in your Dreams; Be free :astro:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”