Greatest Robot on Earth

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Greatest Robot on Earth

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

I am preparing to create a review of Greatest Robot; it will have images of all the major characters from the 3 manga versions & 3 animated versions. While I focus mainly on how the later versions differ from the original, I think there will be enough here to make everyone happy.

I do not know if either of the U.S. comics had a version, though. :blush:

I hope to upload it by this time next week! :lol:

MangaBottle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MangaBottle » 14 years ago

Maybe you should include comparisons to Naoki Urasawa's take on the story. Just an idea...

Uran-chan
Robot President

Postby Uran-chan » 14 years ago

"MangaBottle" wrote:Maybe you should include comparisons to Naoki Urasawa's take on the story. Just an idea...

Pluto?...........

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Meeshell » 14 years ago

wow that sounds neat, ill read it!

MangaBottle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MangaBottle » 14 years ago

"Uran-chan" wrote:[QUOTE=MangaBottle;93459]Maybe you should include comparisons to Naoki Urasawa's take on the story. Just an idea...

Pluto?...........[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I meant Pluto. I know it wasn't written by Tezuka himself, but I think it counts as an official source

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Naoki Urasawa's Pluto is 1 of the 3 manga versions.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 14 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:I am preparing to create a review of Greatest Robot; it will have images of all the major characters from the 3 manga versions & 3 animated versions. While I focus mainly on how the later versions differ from the original, I think there will be enough here to make everyone happy.

I do not know if either of the U.S. comics had a version, though. :blush:

I hope to upload it by this time next week! :lol:

:astro: By U.S. comics, if you mean the issue published under the Goldkey imprint in 1965 and the "March of Comics" issue published in 1966, then no; neither issue has a version of "Greatest Robot..."! The Goldkey issue did have a version of "Gangor, the Monster", though! Also neither of the Astro Boy comics published by NOW Comics in the 1980s nor the Astro Boy comics published by IDW Pub. this year of 2009 had a version of "Greatest Robot"! I hope that helps you! As far as I know the above are the only Astro Boy comics I know that were published in the U.S. (Unless of course you count the manga English translation published by Dark Horse beginning in 2003.) :)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Thanks, ASTROBUDDY; I did not think that either the GOLD KEY or the "March of Comics" had the story, as those were based upon the English language version of the B&W series, which

1. basically ended at 113, though there more were a few episodes omitted, & it did include 119, 121, & 124.
  2. but more importantly, specifically excluded any multi-part stories

BTW, 116 & 117 were GREATEST ROBOT.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 14 years ago

Right! The 104 episodes of classic Astro Boy were culled from the first 124 episodes of original TetsuWan Atom with 20 episodes being omitted from being dubbed into English! But here's something you may or may not know! In 1990 a theatre here in New York City titled the Film Forum was featuring one of the first anime film festival held in a legitimate theatre! (As opposed to a convention!) The main attraction of the festival was that a lot of what are now well known anime like "Robot Carnival", "Lensman", etc. had their U.S.A. premiere at this festival! Of interest to this forum is that they also showed episodes of some of the classic anime of the sixties, Astro Boy being one of them! When the Astro Boy Episode Guide was released by the Right Stuf International and I looked for the synopsis of the episode I saw at the Film Forum's Festival, I could not find it! So I called up the Right Stuf and asked them about this and gave them the infomation re: the fact that an Astro Boy episode had been shown that they seemed not to have in their inventory (as at the time, RSI was in the search of episodes to release on VHS!) You see what had happened using the list of synopses that the writer's used, they had inadvertently matched the wrong synopsis with the wrong title! They had placed the synopsis for episode 126--"Roboid" with the title, "The Terrible Spaceman", which was the episode I had seen as part of the Film Forum Anime Festival! You may ask why would there be a synopsis for episode #126 when that episode was not dubbed into English! Here's what I think happened! The dubbing of the episodes to reach 104 episodes would obviously have taken some considerable time! So they must have been preparing to dub episode # 126, when they realized they had dubbed a 104th episode with #124--"Parting Gift" aka "Double Trouble"!
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

sgupta
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby sgupta » 14 years ago

So if I'm reading this correctly, Greatest Robot for the 1960's anime version has never been released (even in the Ultra Collection) in English (either dubbed or subbed), so is not on any of the collector's sets? Just clarifying here - I know the version exists for English-speaking viewers for the 1980's and 2003 series; just was hoping it was available for the 60's version also. Thanks!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”