122 Monster Mantler

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 8 years ago

Things were different back then; standards change continuously.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Things were different back then; standards change continuously.

A lot of things that Tezuka did back then would be considered politically incorrect today. One of the reasons that the opening from the second season wasn't used for the second season of the ELV may have had to do with the following depiction of the Africans.
Attachments
vlcsnap-00022.png
vlcsnap-00022.png (301.36 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
vlcsnap-00021.png
vlcsnap-00021.png (379.81 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

I know that; that wasn't what I was saying. I'm more put off by people's responses to some of these things.
lolwut

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:[QUOTE=karl0s;127132]Is it just me? or is this episode famous for all the wrong reasons?

I know that this post is a good few years old by now, but I have to agree; looking back at some of the wording of those posts, and that "tushie shot", I feel like cringing a good bit...

It's not as though there's something inherently wrong with the content itself; I suppose I've been on the Internet (or Tumblr) too long... but I can't help but get a bad feeling from some of this...[/QUOTE]

Heh, I know exactly what you mean

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:[QUOTE=Little Brown Fox;237485][QUOTE=karl0s;127132]Is it just me? or is this episode famous for all the wrong reasons?

I know that this post is a good few years old by now, but I have to agree; looking back at some of the wording of those posts, and that "tushie shot", I feel like cringing a good bit...

It's not as though there's something inherently wrong with the content itself; I suppose I've been on the Internet (or Tumblr) too long... but I can't help but get a bad feeling from some of this...[/QUOTE]

Heh, I know exactly what you mean[/QUOTE]

It's like; the content itself is not deliberately or intentionally inappropriate in any way. It's just what people make of it sometimes that turns what are meant to be comical situations into something... uncomfortable.

As for the above-mentioned caricatures, those are an unfortunate product of their time. Not really meant to be malicious at all, like with anything else; but they are a little bit more subject to some scrutiny. This isn't really a case of misinterpretation or re-imagining, ya feel?
lolwut

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

exactly! I feel just such a thing happened when my tushie shot thread. Which is why in the end, I asked for it to be deleted.
And yes, it was a much different and in this case, much more innocent time and we as a people have become more jaded, more cynical, and frankly, most quick to suspicion of people's "true intentions."

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:exactly! I feel just such a thing happened when my tushie shot thread. Which is why in the end, I asked for it to be deleted.
And yes, it was a much different and in this case, much more innocent time and we as a people have become more jaded, more cynical, and frankly, most quick to suspicion of people's "true intentions."

Ah gee man, it's those "suspicions" (which in my case probably borders on paranoia) that are ruining my life rn. I've got way too much anxiety over this sort of thing in recent times.

Anyways, yeah I think we're kinda done here. This is already kind of uncomfortable to talk about.

(And I remember that thread! I used to like it, too, back before I even joined the board, and before I became hyper-suspicious of even the most remotely "shady" thing... Now I'd just worry too much. :T)
lolwut

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

I hear ya. Yeah, we can end of here

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Re: 122 Monster Mantler

Postby jeffbert » 5 years ago

So I was reading the DVD booklet about this episode, & it mentioned 人類SOS as the film that inspired the part where Atom searches the newspapers & radio station's notes to find out just what happened while he was out cold. As I never heard of Humanity SOS!, before, it turned out to be known as Day of the Triffids in the USA. :lol: So I watched it on Prime, but did not see anything comparable to what the booklet described.

google trans:
overflowing with memories Astro Boy who has lost his memory wanders around the city is a sci-fi movie "People SOS" In 1963 • Japan released), it is reminiscent of scenes where the hero runs around the confused city and listens to radio stations' news tapes.

:hyo:

I wonder if the USA version had cut something out of that film.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”