Reno ands the Robot circus

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Reno ands the Robot circus

Postby Big Astro Fan » 14 years ago

I was watching the Robot Circus episode and this picture shows the pain in Reno's heart when he reads the letter the the Ring leader of the circus.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

True, but what is your point? :D No doubt he felt betrayed by this, as the robots were the only family he ever knew. Still, it could have been worse; there is a type of letter, by TYPE, I mean there is a term for it, but I am unable to find the term, this letter instructs the recipient to kill the bearer of the letter. Uriah the Hittite was one such letter bearer, and he paid the price for it.

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 14 years ago

:p I was just making an observation. :lol:

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

You know, in the Japanese version you see poor Reno break down crying in that scene. But yeah you guessed it they censored like they did eeeeeeeeeeeeverything else. Same with that episode on that robot dolphine Reno appears in too, but in the English one they covered it as hiccups.

Note to self: do art piece on hatred for censors @_@

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 14 years ago

PLEASE DO NOT get mad at the censors- they are just doing their job

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 14 years ago

:cry: But I wiiiiiiiiill, most the censors for Astro Boy were pointless.

1. censoring the Father Son relationship between Tenma and Astro
2. censoring Astro playing with any toys
3. censoring any signs of a person crying
4. censoring Tobio dying

:cry: They chopped everything up. Tezuka would not have been impressed T.T

MangaBottle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MangaBottle » 14 years ago

I want to go to the home of whoever was in charge of the 2003 localization and leave a bag of flaming dog-poop on his front porch, ring the doorbell and run
My Astro Boy fan-fic scripts on Deviant Art:
Mighty Astro Boy :astro:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 14 years ago

"avatargirl" wrote:PLEASE DO NOT get mad at the censors- they are just doing their job

But that job was to take entertainment aimed at the whole family & make it appeal to little boys to the exclusion of others. The program was aired between 7 & 8 pm in Japan, a time when the whole family would be watching, but they put in in the Saturday morning kiddie time slot. Fred Patten writes about this in reference to more than a few series that were wrecked in this way. :mad:

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 14 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:But that job was to take entertainment aimed at the whole family & make it appeal to little boys to the exclusion of others. The program was aired between 7 & 8 pm in Japan, a time when the whole family would be watching, but they put in in the Saturday morning kiddie time slot. Fred Patten writes about this in reference to more than a few series that were wrecked in this way. :mad:

Like I once said in one of my Toontown articles...

"Astro Boy was Sony's hot stuff back in 2004. Sony and Cartoon Network edited it down and used it in a Hot Potato-esque scheduling switch-up that was so erratic, no one who liked the show got a chance to see it consistantly. After being cancelled, the series was doomed to suffer on a badly-manufactured DVD set. Viz Media would have been better handlers, given how awesome they treated Zatch Bell (reasonable editing, widespread release and completely untouched manga), but they probably didn't have room for another property. [...] The dub is so manufactured and soulless that it's unbelievable. This anime was originally as dignified as Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Sony made it into a cheap Megaman clone."

Now that I think about it, Astro Boy 2003 was marketed in Japan at the same sort of family demographic that watches Doctor Who in Canada/England. Both programs have the same amount of action, peril, emotional moments and comedic moments.
Last edited by Fauna on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”