Movie Vs. Series & Manga Vs. Both

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astronomical girl
Banned

Movie Vs. Series & Manga Vs. Both

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

The titles says it all. this is all about comparision,Ok

Movie Vs. anime Series- who here thought that the movie was better then the series or series better then movie?

1)Storyline wise.

2)Charactor wise.

3)Art wise.

Manga vs. Anime series - Depends on how many people have read the original manga but how does the anime series compare with the manga? or visa versa?

1) Storyline wise

2) Charactor wise

3) Art wise

Manga Vs. Movie- depending on the numbers of movie goers but who thought that the movie was better or worse then the manga? or visa versa?

1) Storyline wise

2)Charactor wise

3)Art wise

I make will comments and avereges and I have my own private opinions, this I will share and will calculate.
Unyongnekasayo

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

While my reviews may not express any preferences for one version or another, they do compare them. The master table is here: http://tezukainenglish.com/?q=node/249 :p

Astronomical girl
Banned

You're misunderstanding the reason.
The point is for peoples to share their own opinions and idea's by comparision. [SIZE="5"] This thread is just for fun!

[/SIZE]
Unyongnekasayo

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 13 years ago

Comparing them one at a time is much too easy. Let's tear each one apart individually and see how they add up. :D Mwahaha?

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING ARE ALL JUST PERSONAL OPINIONS AND I AM NOT LIABLE FOR HURT FEELINGS! :tenma:

I shall list them in the order of which I prefer the most.

The Original Manga -

Storyline wise, while it does have a few story arcs here and there, is mostly just a long comic that can mostly be read in whatever order. I suppose this is why it was able to be published in order of which stories Tezuka liked the most (this was done because they didn't know if they could publish them all - lawls). But, the stories that are told are actually pretty deep most of the time. They get some real depth and don't just throw a bunch of blind action sequences at you like some of the more modern manga. There is comedy thrown in here and there, but the more serious stories have a real thrill to them that makes them more memorable than some of the anime series'.

Character wise, I believe the manga shows them in their purest form - in the way that Tezuka originally designated them to be. This being said, I think that they have the most development in the manga than anywhere else. I also prefer the Astro in the manga than in any of the anime ones. This one is, of course, the one that Tezuka originally envisioned and seems to have the innocence that Astro is meant to portray. Well, that's what I think, anyway...(Also, Shunsaku Ban gets more face time in the manga. :3 Hurrah!)

Art wise, I love it. I know it's over 50 years old, but so what? It looks great! It's got a quality to it that a lot of the modern manga cannot even compare to! Also, many of the jokes that Tezuka projects through his unusual style of drawing pages really adds to the charm. (Like in one chapter where Tawashi and the police department hides a bunch of paintings behind a panel on the next page, lawls.) It's really something that separates this series - and for that matter, all of Tezuka's works - from anything else in the world of comic books.

The Anime (collectively) -

Storyline wise, while the first two series just had a bunch of episodes that could be shown in whatever order, the third series really seemed to follow more of a straight plot. Not so much in the first season, but really in the second season (which is a bit of an oddity in the Astro-verse, so to speak). They mostly copied stories from the manga, so some of the feeling seemed lost from the originals from time to time...I dunno...

Character wise, they kinda went the same as the storyline. A bit seems lost from movement to anime through all three series. I'm not sure any of them have really captured the same Astro that was shown through Tezuka's pen. (I guess if you combined the 60's Astro and the 03 Astro, you'd have it, but...)

Art wise, the 60's series was pretty close to the original manga, which was pretty streamline and clean. I like it. Simple, but looks great. The 80's series always looks so busy. I guess that was the style of the time, but I really didn't like the way Astro looks in this series compared to others. He's so short. >.< Now, the 03 series is a mixed pot. Astro looks great, but some of the characters just look too different. Epsilon is a good example. Yeesh. But, Pluto was an improvement, so not all of it was bad. I have mixed feelings on this one...hehehe... :whistling:

The Movie -

My opinion on the Characters, Storyline and Art can all be summed up with one simple statement:

It doesn't compare to the manga or anime because it kept nothing from them. In my opinion, it's just a mess. I guess that's what it gets for being made in America. Blech. (They should have learned from NOW!'s mistakes, lawls).
*dust*

Astronomical girl
Banned

TBH, I agree with about the 09 movie. it appears as if they just put in soo much sugar,flour, and some food coloring then to finish they by covering it up with colorful icing and they forgot to put in the yeast and actual flavor. thus the product is a flat,unflavorable cake (can you even call it a cake and not a flat bread? ).

The anime however 60's appeared,yes, to be closer relative to the original manga, and 80's looked like they colored up the 60's, 03 series was a good cupcake simple and tasty.

:astro: Eww, how can you make something that bad from something good?

:hyo: like she said, food coloring instead of actual flavor and no yeast.

:astro: what is yeast?

:hyo: a fungus.

:astro: FUNGUS?! LIKE MUSHROOMS?

:hyo: its an edible cousin to mushrooms

:astro: What does it look like?

:hyo: like tiny crumbs only with consistancy of powder
Unyongnekasayo

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 13 years ago

"Astronomical girl" wrote: TBH, I agree with about the 09 movie. it appears as if they just put in soo much sugar,flour, and some food coloring then to finish they by covering it up with colorful icing and they forgot to put in the yeast and actual flavor. thus the product is a flat,unflavorable cake (can you even call it a cake and not a flat bread? ).

The anime however 60's appeared,yes, to be closer relative to the original manga, and 80's looked like they colored up the 60's, 03 series was a good cupcake simple and tasty.

:astro: Eww, how can you make something that bad from something good?

:hyo: like she said, food coloring instead of actual flavor and no yeast.

:astro: what is yeast?

:hyo: a fungus.

:astro: FUNGUS?! LIKE MUSHROOMS?

:hyo: its an edible cousin to mushrooms

:astro: What does it look like?

:hyo: like tiny crumbs only with consistancy of powder

WOW, someone who actually agrees with me about the movie. -_-" Hurray! (I may not like the movie, but I still buy the merchandise...you shall be mine one day, you $100 piece of awesome...)

xD Your cake references make me hungry. *eats pie*
*dust*

Astronomical girl
Banned

You eat pie but not cake and the cake reference made you hungry but why eat pie? ?.?

:astro: There is not much difference between cake and pie they're both desserts

:hyo: True, one a large tart, the other pastry

:astro :d oes it matter they both have sugar

:hyo: Pie doens't have sugar

:astro: fruits have natural sugar and cane sugar are cousins but both sugar

:hyo: speechless
Unyongnekasayo

LLM
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLM » 13 years ago

"The Tawashi Bus Hat" wrote:WOW, someone who actually agrees with me about the movie. -_-" Hurray! (I may not like the movie, but I still buy the merchandise...you shall be mine one day, you $100 piece of awesome...)

I also agree with you on the movie, but I have to give a little credit for getting me in to Astro Boy.
My Astro Boy paper dolls, happily under my monitor.

Astronomical girl
Banned

Are the little paper models printed and cut? or is the last one to the right from a comic?
Unyongnekasayo

LLM
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby LLM » 13 years ago

"Astronomical girl" wrote: Are the little paper models printed and cut? or is the last one to the right from a comic?

Printed on paper and glued to thin cardboard (ex. fruit snack box) then are cut out. Then glued to a bent piece of cardboard with a metal weight. Easy to make if you have a steady cutting hand.
The one on the right is from the Pluto manga.

My Astro Boy paper dolls, happily under my monitor.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”