Astro's Mom Hoshie

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Astro's Mom Hoshie

Postby Alittleacorn » 13 years ago

I was just reading this on the Tezuka English website:

http://tezukainenglish.com/?q=node/216/

And just made me think 'Dude, how come she's never been converted into the anime world?' Instead Hoshie's remained in manga, suffering a fate worse than Cobalt who's not been seen since the first anime.

Personally I think Hoshie's an interesting character and would've made the animes a bit more interesting if she'd been there. If there's any anime adaptation Hoshie could've fitted best in, it'd have to be the 2003 one. Reasons being, it ventured more into Tenma, Astro and Tobio's back story, so they could've of slotted her in there or at least a mention of her.

You need two people to make a baby, so where did Hoshie go? Did she leave? Die from childbirth? How come Tenma didn't go insane from her absense and create a robot Hoshie before robot Tobio (not including editing Astro's robot mom to be like there).

So despite the whole storylne of Tenma grieving his dead son and creating a robot copy, there's always a plothole that gets my head spinning. Where's the mom!?

Tobio doesn't even look like Tenma, for all we know he's adopted! :d oh:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

Ditto to EVERYTHING you've said here, Acorn. I think it comes down to editing for the sake of simplifying the storyline, but for anyone who actually cares about the lead character (Tobio/Atom) -- it is utterly natural that you'd wonder what happened to his mother.

The manga tells a sad story of a workaholic (and abusive?) husband with a wife who has finally had enough heartbreak and decides to walk away from her marriage. Then Tezuka kills her off - presumably because the added angst would detract from the focus of Atom's life (human/robot relations)?

I totally agree it would be great to include all this -- as well as Uran and Cobalt -- going forward with future anime and motion pictures. With some many people growing up with divorce, it's hardly unusual (as it would have been back in the 50's and 60's).

In my mind I think Hoshi (had no idea of her name until this past year) would be closer to Astro/Atom in personality (which would also explain Tenma's extremely emotional attachment to Tobio).

I hope someday a bunch of heretofore unknown papers by Tezuka are discovered with answers to all these things -- but then, that's why I referred to it as an "open source" story -- WE get to fill in the blanks, or take the characters down other roads.

Not yer everyday cartoony character, huh? ;-)
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Astronomical girl
Banned

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

Or it could just be that he looks more like mom and or other members of the family. that too boggled my mind is that, ok I see a kid and see a dad wheres mom? hello reality check .everyone knows even little kids know that it takes a mommy and daddy to make a baby. they don't know how but they do know that much.

Remember that there is a fifty-fifty work up when it comes to babies and genetic inheritence you can either have a girl that looks like dad and a boy that looks like mom its all in the genes. Toby would have the X from his mom and the Y fom dad (thats where you get little boys) the X would have provided the face not necassarily the plumbing.

Yes,i'm very techincal and scientific about this kind of stuff. pardon me if it disturbs you.

:tenma: she gets really gets down and dirty about doesn't she?

:hyo: she could be right too,Doc, unless...you have something to add?

:tenma: No, there some things I rather not talk about...that of you which you imply

:hyo: like the wife? :rolleyes:

:tenma: You be quiet, she is...a more sensitive and personal subject

:hyo :o ooh :whistling: I bet that she and you had a...

:tenma: SHUT UP! or you will not go to bed with your head on your pillow.

:hyo :o oh...what'cha going to do...stuff me?

:tenma: there's a thought" glaring evilly
Last edited by Astronomical girl on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unyongnekasayo

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Lol Tenma! XD he's so sophisticated yet has a rude stitched piggy for a friend. In times of dispair you can be sure a good and evil Hyotantsugi will appear on Tenma's shoulder. :lol:

On the subject of Hoshie, I wondered if this woman is based after her.

Her name on the subtitles says she's Honda (a car? :eek :) and she was hinted to be a love interest of Tenma's in the 1980 anime.

Although she'd make a terrible Mother, after hunting Astro down in a tank-like truck and trying to kill him and all...however Tenma's done a load worse so Astro might be better off with her! XD

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

She appeared very briefly in Jetter Mars, but only as Tenma (or his character) told Mars why he had tried to have him reprogrammed to be Tenma's son. There is a thread in which Ataru Moroboshi has provided a transcript of that portion of the Spanish version:

Okie dokie, on behalf of Jeffbert's request, I'm...

I believe there are links to this episode on Youtube, though it may no longer be there.

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

"jeffbert" wrote:She appeared very briefly in Jetter Mars, but only as Tenma (or his character) told Mars why he had tried to have him reprogrammed to be Tenma's son. There is a thread in which Ataru Moroboshi has provided a transcript of that portion of the Spanish version:

I believe there are links to this episode on Youtube, though it may no longer be there.

*clicks link* :eek: .......................... :heart: _____________ :heart: I wuv you!

I never thought Jetter Mars would've had something like this, it almost creeps me out a little bit. Poor Tezuka must've really wanted to remake his Astro Boy so badly =(

:cry: Daw look at those two!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

BTW, I think that is either NEXTWORLD that Tobio is reading.

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

That's crazy you say that, cause I was thinking 'I bet there's somethnig special on that book' but I can't read the title XD

Astronomical girl
Banned

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

You can say that Tenma was human, he was in love :wub:
hard to see that underneath that cold shell but dig deeper and there is a warm place of happiness. I think even if Hoshie was alive she would still love Tenma,becuase he tried to be a good parent in his own way he might not have been the best but Toby loved him regardless.

Who's to say that either one was a bad parent or the worser parent. I think he tried and she tried and they both learned along the way. Astro never said that he hated his parents nor implied no grudge hinting that they loved him and cared for him the same as any other parents.

:hyo: aww, she even said that you were in love...did it hurt?

:tenma: Why are you talking about Hoshie? leave her in peace would you

:hyo :O h so it did hurt?

:tenma: Yes, I loved her very much ,now will you quit talking about her

:hyo: Where did it hurt the heart or in the head or someplace else unreckoned?

:tenma: I know what to have for dinner tonight

:hyo: whats that?

:tenma: stuffed pork with mushroom gravy with chopped mushrooms and asparagus

:hyo: HELP! Barbarian!

:tenma: You're calling me Barbaric? You were the one talking about whether or not love hurts...here porky,porky,porky

:hyo: AHHH!

up in heaven. sitting on a cloud was Hoshie and me watching the two fighting and eating popcorn

Me: Still hot for you ain't he?

Hoshie: Yes, but what can you do? He's the genius that I married"

Me:Yeah, a hot headed one"

Hoshie: Only at night ,it's dangerous during daylight hours,becuase he knows I have pans with Tenma's name written all over, ready to hit him one day or the other"

Me: Why you love him or he loves you?

Hoshie: I eat him for dessert and we never make life boring it's kinda the thing about geniuses you love 'em and you can always hate them but in the end they love you"

Me: does he snor?

Hoshie: He purrs, but not all the time most of time I give him nose plugs the size of three wine bottles"

ME: Get him drunk before the day even begins? How romantic

we both giggled and smiled and ate popcorn
Unyongnekasayo

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”