Tetsuwan Atomu Theme Comparison

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Tetsuwan Atomu Theme Comparison

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

When I first joined these forums, I was suggested to share my opinions on the different versions of Astro Boy. Thinking about it then, it seemed like a good idea and something that I wouldn't mind doing.

So I'm pleased to introduce what may become a series of comparisons or otherwise informative threads which I will be posting occasionally.

Problem is, I'm quite limited in my resources, so I will only be able to provide smaller comparisons. For now, I've decided to compare the well-known theme of Astro Boy...

Tetsuwan Atomu / Astro Boy Theme Comparison:

Tetsuwan Atomu is the main theme of many of the Tetsuwan Atomu versions, appearing in nearly every version (with the exception of the 2009 film) since the 1960's series. It is also notably one of the very few anime songs to have been dubbed in other languages, while keeping the original melody, which would simply be known as the Astro Boy Theme overseas. Over the years, this song has became well-known (although its familiarity has decreased since) and iconic to many ears, and thus I have chosen to compare the various versions of this song first.

Youtube links will also be provided, as well as lyrics if I can obtain them. If something is incorrect, by all means please do correct me.

Since this whole thing would be too big for a single post, I'll have to post this in two posts instead.

Japanese 1960's Version:

First Opening Instrumental Version: Standalone video unavaliable.
Second Opening Lyrical Version (00:28 - 1:38) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEFkbXhO1zU&feature=related
Third Opening Lyrical Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LuEfv-K6rs&feature=related

In the Japanese 1960's version, the first 29 episodes or so had featured a instrumental version. During that time, the anime had eventually garnered attention by American eyes and was dubbed, which in addition had given English lyrics to the song. The dub's original producer, Fred Ladd, had claimed in a magazine interview that the Japanese producers were impressed by the addition of the lyrics, and then wrote their own lyrics for their then-instrumental version of the song, apparently creating the 'anime music trend'.

The second opening, starting on episode 30 and lasting until 77, was the first version of Tetsuwan Atomu to have lyrics. The opening animation was basically the same however, although with the timing a little off.

The third opening, starting on episode 78 if I'm correct, was an updated version of the song and the last of the opening versions for the 60's series. The animation was completely new, and while the song still has its original lyrics, it's noticably of better quality.

The instrumental theme was also used in the closing credits, and as far as I know, had always remained instrumental even after the addition of lyrics to the opening theme.

While Tetsuwan Atomu normally only has two parts, there also exists a longer version, which is rarely heard and can usually only be found on soundtrack records and CDs. The shorter version is always sung for the opening themes, and nearly always sung at live performances.

Tetsuwan Atomu Lyrics (Long Version):

Sora wo koete LA LA LA
Hoshi no kanata
Yuku zo Atomu
Jetto no kagiri
Kokoro yasahi LA LA LA
Kagaku no ko
Juuman bariki da
Tetsuwan Atomu

Mimi wo sumase LA LA LA
Me wo mihare
Sou da Atomu
Yudan wo suru na
Kokoro tadashi LA LA LA
Kagaku no ko
Nanatsu no iryoku sa
Tetsuwan Atomu

(Short version ends here)

Machikado ni LA LA LA
Umi no soko ni
Kyou mo Atomu
Ningen mamotte
Kokoro kazumu LA LA LA
Kagaku no ko
Minna no tomodachi
Tetsuwan Atomu

Translation:

Go across the sky LA LA LA
Beyond the stars
Go! Atomu
Go as far as your jets will take you
Your heart is gentle LA LA LA
Child of science
You have 100,000 horsepower
Tetsuwan Atomu (Mighty Atom)

Prick up your ears LA LA LA
Keep your eyes peeled
That's the way, Atomu
You don't let your guard down
Your heart is righteous LA LA LA
Child of science
You have seven powers
Tetsuwan Atomu

On the corner of the street LA LA LA
Over there by the sea
Today too, Atomu
Defend the people
Your heart is lively LA LA LA
Child of science
You are a friend to all
Tetsuwan Atomu

English 1960's Version:

Opening Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3UbaB7oPTw&feature=related
Ending Version (Starts at 02:02): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TerzG1xyMHQ&feature=related

As previously mentioned, before the American dubbing, the opening theme was completely instrumental. When America obtained the license to dub, they had also chosen to write lyrics (by Don Rockwell) and have a children choir (which are now adults and still around today) sing it. Thus making Astro Boy one of the first anime to have one of its original songs be dubbed, even though technically the English lyrics came first. The lyrics, for obvious reasons, are completely different from the Japanese version but are otherwise quite similar in concept. A long version was not created for the English dub, but several different versions during its time had surfaced. Also while Japan would have three openings for the 60's version, the American dub only kept the one, as far as I'm aware.

In addition to adding lyrics to the instrumental opening theme, the American dub had also added a few seconds-worth of lyrics to the very end of the credits. The credits theme in Japan, which remained instrumental, is noticebly a lot longer then the English credits theme, which cuts out the twinkling in the beginning and immediately cuts out after Astro flies into a hole.

60's English Opening lyrics:

There you go, Astro Boy
On your flight into space
Rocket high, through the sky
For adventures soon you will face

Astro Boy bombs away,
On your mission today
Here's the countdown
And the blastoff
Everything is go Astro Boy

Astro Boy, as you fly
Strange new worlds you will spy
Atom celled, jet propelled
Fighting monsters high in the sky

Astro Boy, there you go
Will you find friend or foe?
Cosmic Ranger, laugh at danger
Everything is go Astro Boy

Crowds will cheer you, you're a hero
As you go, go, go Astro Boy

60's English Credits lyrics:
(Note: For this, I have to listen by ear. While I have a better quality version of the credits, it's still not the best, so there's a good chance that this might be misheard lyrics.)

Astro Boy, it's okay
On your flight into space
What can I do
To be like you?
And to become brave, Astro Boy

(I am 99% certain that I did not hear the last verse correctly. Corrections would be greatly appreciated.)

Japanese 1980's Version:

80's Opening Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTVp9fp6jso&feature=related

With the founding of Tezuka Productions, Osamu Tezuka was finally able to create a real color remake of Tetsuwan Atomu. (He wanted to back in the 70's, but couldn't and created Jetter Mars instead.) The 80's version saw a lot of differences besides the most obvious one being color. However most things stayed relatively the same, and that includes the 80's version's Tetsuwan Atomu theme. The lyrics are completely the same as from the 60's version, except the tune is slightly different and electric guitars can be heard in it. And of course, the opening animation was also completely new, and focused on putting more emphasis on Atom's seven powers.

Another change was that the Tetsuwan Atomu theme was not used as part of the credits theme. Instead the series used two original ending themes during its run. Also, the series only had one opening theme.

American 1980's Version:

American Dub, Uncut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtAvZXuHbNU&feature=related

Following a similar trend after the dubbing of the 60's version, the American company behind the 80's version dub had also decided to dub the songs, again reusing the updated tune (with the guitars and the like). However unlike the 60's version, a choir of adults (a woman can most definitely be heard) had sung this version instead, along with the dub's ending theme.

What's even more different about the 80's version is that instead of singing the lyrics from the 60's version, a new set of lyrics were instead sung, possibly to make it seem fresh and updated. This song would also be used in the Canadian dub, the Australian dub and the Philippines dub.

Also, in the Canadian dub, the segment where Astro Boy defeats Frankenstein, the bug robot and the plant were cut out, instead cutting out to the scene where he grabs the red monster and lifts it into the air. This was probably cut out because the Canadian dub (along with other dubs) had a small segment before the opening where Astro and a super computer would explain the episode's events, while making one error and encourage viewers to correct them. Because of time restraints, this is likely why these parts of the opening were cut. The cut opening uses an even shorter version of the dub's song for obvious reasons.

80's American Dub Lyrics:

Soaring high in the sky
He may be small but only in size
Astro Boy, Astro Boy
He is brave and gentle and wise

Stronger Than all the rest
This tiny robot will pass the test
All villeins fear him, so we cheer him
The amazing Astro Boy

When you need someone strong
Our robot friend is there before long
Astro Boy, Astro Boy
He will try to right any wrong

When there's danger nearby
No matter who, what, where, when or why
He will defend us, he'll befriend us
The amazing Astro Boy
Last edited by Astro Forever on Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dr. Jerk said later in this thread: "If I could edit the first post, I would."

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Part 2

French-Canadian 1980's Version:

French-Canadian Dub Opening (Starts at 00:30): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeNehHuS5SI&feature=related

America weren't the only ones to write lyrics to their own versions of this iconic theme, the French-Canadian dub of the 80's version had also done the same with the opening and ending themes. And unlike the American version, a longer version of the French version exists, which has a different remix and a beginning that resembles that of the ending's melody.

Like the Canadian dub, the French dub also had a short segment before its opening, so parts of the opening animation were also cut out.

80's French-Canadian Dub Lyrics (Long Version Now Provided):

(Astro)
Ce hèros du futur
Qui nous fait vivre de viraies aventures
Toujours là
Quant il faut
C'est Astro le Petit Robot

Ce nouveau chevalier
Qui nous apprend à nous entraider
Toujours là
Quand il faut

Celui dont est fier
D'être l'ami du bout de la Terre
Le formidable
L'incroyable

Celui que rien n'arrête
Qui va tout droit par vents et tempêtes
Toujours là
Quand il faut

Celui qui n'admet pas
Que l'on s'amuse à défier la loi
Toujours là
Quand il faut

Celui dont on est fier
Le formidable
L'incroyable

Celui dont le courage
N'a pas d'égal malgré son jeune âge
Toujours là
Quand il faut

Celui dont on est fier
Le formidable
L'incroyable

Le formidable
L'incroyable

2003 Version:

Ending Version 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlZd8ur5nhs&feature=related
Ending Version 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHFBuZ5xuJo&feature=related

The 2003 version brought a lot of changes to Tetsuwan Atomu, from character designs to the plots themselves. Even as early as 2003 was back then, it brought a lot of changes that would commonly be seen in a lot of quality mainstream anime today. Of the many changes there was, the Tetsuwan Atomu theme had also gotten some changes.

Back when it first aired, there was a different opening theme and a different ending theme, TRUE BLUE by the group ZONE and BOY'S HEART, sung by Fujii Fumiya. Strangely there was almost no indiction of Tetsuwan Atomu anywhere, that theme that many people had grown to associate Astro Boy with.

This would eventually change however. The anime's second (and third) ending themes would be the Tetsuwan Atomu theme we all know and love.

Specifically, two versions were created, both also by ZONE. The first version was a slower mix, and noticebly a lot shorter than usual. The second version, which has a long version and a music video that was recorded in the Osamu Tezuka Museum, is a more upbeat version with some vocals provided by a children chior (Run Time). The lyrics remain mostly the same as they always been with some differences. Complete with scans of the manga covers (and a couple of pages), these two versions by ZONE perfectly capture the essence of Tetsuwan Atomu's history.

I'll be providing the lyrics to show these differences nonetheless.

Tetsuwan Atomu by ZONE (Version 1):

Sora wo koete LA LA LA
Hoshi no kanata
Yuku zo Atomu
Jetto no kagiri
Kokoro yasahi LA LA LA
Kagaku no ko
Juuman bariki da
Tetsuwan Atomu

Juuman bariki da
Tetsuwan Atomu

Tetsuwan Atomu by ZONE and Run Time (Version 2):

(ATOMU HO!)
Sora wo koete LA LA LA
Hoshi no kanata
Yuku zo Atomu
Jetto no kagiri
Kokoro yasahi LA LA LA
Kagaku no ko
Juuman bariki da
Tetsuwan Atomu

A-T-O-M ASTRO BOY
A-T-O-M ASTRO BOY

Mimi wo sumase LA LA LA
Me wo mihare
Sou da Atomu
Yudan wo suru na
Kokoro tadashi LA LA LA
Kagaku no ko
Nanatsu no iryoku sa
Tetsuwan Atomu

A-T-O-M ATOMU

Unfortunately with the dub of the 2003 version, America had chose not to do their own dubs of the songs, instead preferring to compose their own action-y instrumental music to use for the openings and endings, which was common for many dubs back then. Some dubs, mostly other Asian dubs, did chose to do their own dubs of the songs (most notably for ZONE's TRUE BLUE), but it is unknown if they had done the same with ZONE's versions of Tetsuwan Atomu.

Conclusion:

And here we come to an conclusion of the comparison. I apologize that I was unable to provide comparisons and information for the other versions and dubs, and there is likely to be a lot more out there and many in different versions. Regardless I was able to make do with some of the more widely-avaliable ones, which I find to be sufficient enough.

Tetsuwan Atomu, though initally starting out as a simple instrumental theme, has grown a lot over the course of the years. And even though a version wasn't included in the 2009 film (it's possible that one might have been added for the Japanese dub, but this is unknown), with the on-again-off-again rumors of a new series, there's always a possiblity that this familiar song may once again grow in some form.

I've finished with my comparison, and I encourage anyone else who wishes to. And of course, corrections would be greatly welcomed too.
Last edited by Dr. Jerk on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 13 years ago

Thank you for finding the long version of the Astro Boy theme. Now I can sing the entire song! :) I also made up a third verse for the English 80's Astro Boy theme. It goes...

He'll soar out into space,
And he will fly far beyond the stars,
Astro Boy, Astro Boy,
He will be there if you need help.
His heart is gentle and kind,
and he has seven super powers,
He's a hero,
The Mighty Atom,
The amazing Astro Boy!

I hope you like it.
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

I really like your version, way better than the 80's English version. (Didn't like the 80's English versions very much.)

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

@Dr. Jerk

Thanks for the lyrics! I've looking for the 80's english dub for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time now...

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

"Androids101" wrote:@Dr. Jerk

Thanks for the lyrics! I've looking for the 80's english dub for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time now...

They were on this site the entire time...

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

Exactly...

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:I really like your version, way better than the 80's English version. (Didn't like the 80's English versions very much.)

Thank you very much. When I get a mic for the computer I'll sing the English 80's version, with my made up verse, and that'll make a full version of the 80's Astro Boy theme. I don't wanna brag, but I'm such a good singer. I actually love the 80's English theme. 80's Astro Boy was my first anime, and when I hear it I feel so nostalgic.
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

"Anime Girl 14" wrote:[QUOTE=Dr. Jerk;107804]I really like your version, way better than the 80's English version. (Didn't like the 80's English versions very much.)

Thank you very much. When I get a mic for the computer I'll sing the English 80's version, with my made up verse, and that'll make a full version of the 80's Astro Boy theme. I don't wanna brag, but I'm such a good singer. I actually love the 80's English theme. 80's Astro Boy was my first anime, and when I hear it I feel so nostalgic.[/QUOTE]

Really? I've had thoughts of fan-dubbing the original Japanese version. Except I don't have a mic, and I'm not a great singer.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 13 years ago

This is an interesting topic, thanks for sharing! :)

The lyrics on this site aren't quite right. Somebody here whose father had worked on the 1980 series had posted a file with the right lyrics a few years ago. I have his nickname on the tip of my tongue but can't seem to remember it at this time (edited: I found the original topic). Anyway, I found the file on my computer so here it is:

Last edited by Astro Forever on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”