NOW Comics Astro Boy - Issue Eighteen

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Fauna
Beyond the Stars

NOW Comics Astro Boy - Issue Eighteen

Postby Fauna » 13 years ago

Welcome back! In this issue, Brian Thomas is given full control over the series's writing, and he actually gets Astro off the Cybot Planet!

Here's the full scans, review pending:
http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m362/astroNOWcomics/Issue18/

For users new to this series, back in 1987, an American company got the Astro Boy license from untrustworthy sources and made a comic series out of it, lasting twenty issues. The comic went in three phases...Michael Dempsey as writer and Ken Steacy as illustrator, all Ken Steacy, and then Brian Thomas, whose art you see in this issue. I discovered this series when I bought several issues when I was fourteen, and to ensure nobody buys them again, here is the complete series so far. (Ignore the album about Captain Harlock.)

My opinion on the comic:
I'm pretty sure Captain Delta is a throwback to Rock from Phoenix: Future. With the exception of the hair, it's totally Phoenix Rock. And the scene of Astro Girl and Spud waiting in the hall was actually kind of heart-warming, coming out of Brian's style...

Does anybody else love Brian?! I really, really wish he'd gotten control of the comic from the beginning.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 13 years ago

Wow, this is a real improvement now, I'm actually starting to find some love for this...com...ic....(looks at your avatar)...OMG THAT IS SO FUNNY! :LOL: I LOVE IT!

Ahem, back on subject. I agree with you on the Uran and Spud waiting in the wall, that looked sad. And I'm actually impressed with this page too. Asto questioning who his daddy is, so moving :cry: . Oh and I cracked up at the "6 YEARS!!!" line XD

Only thing I didn't get was why Astro was knocked out and put in the airlock, and how the plot didn't have that big impact at the end. But hey, it's still better than the early comics! I pick his guy any day.

AND I LOVE BRIAN! I'D GIVE HIM A KIDNEY!...well, my brother's kidney X3

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 13 years ago

I especially enjoy that last panel on this page here, with Spud's noisemaker tickling Astro's nose! X3
Last edited by Little Brown Fox on Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lolwut

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:I especially enjoy that last panel on this page here, with Spud's noisemaker tickling Astro's nose! X3

YES! His expression is so perfect. XD Brian is awesome for finishing the comic on this.

And Nice work Fauna! Since you started the Brian issues, I've been checking all the art (but still not reading the bubbles, I'm not quite there yet).
I'm on Twitter.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

"F-Man" wrote:[QUOTE=Little Brown Fox;108005]I especially enjoy that last panel on this page here, with Spud's noisemaker tickling Astro's nose! X3

YES! His expression is so perfect. XD Brian is awesome for finishing the comic on this.

And Nice work Fauna! Since you started the Brian issues, I've been checking all the art (but still not reading the bubbles, I'm not quite there yet).[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel. :lol: I bought this issue at least three years ago, and only now am I looking at what the story's actually doing. It was just one long "oooh, shiny" moment.

Wait until next issue, you guys! Brian brings back Hamegg/Cacciatore, and he's adorable as crap. :wub:

And my eighteenth review has been delayed for a short while, in case anyone was wondering...I've got an essay coming up, and I'm trying to get my comic one-shot printed, but need to completely monitor the entire process. So...a review is due maybe this weekend.
ImageImageImageImage

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

ATTRACTIVE BOYNTON? CHECK.

EVERYONE.

IT IS TIME.

http://audobonbridge.tripod.com/toontown/now18.html

I should also get to scanning issue nineteen and working on the latest chapter of Hyperspace Bunny, but HRRRRNGH I FINALLY GOT THIS ONE DONE.
ImageImageImageImage

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 13 years ago

:lol: I misread and thought you said 'The cigarette after the car crash' though I wouldn't blame it, everything before this was lame, well isue 17 wasn't too bad, just ended silly.

I actually have to say I like the artstyle for this one, it's really something nice =3

I mean this

And so much better than this
Gosh, Astro really let himself go.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

Really liking the cover art of volume 18, it actually looks good for this comic, and also reminds me of something out of the 2003 series.

Edit: Oh wait, now I see what happened, old posts were deleted from here. I thought this was a new thread for a second, silly me.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:Really liking the cover art of volume 18, it actually looks good for this comic, and also reminds me of something out of the 2003 series.

Edit: Oh wait, now I see what happened, old posts were deleted from here. I thought this was a new thread for a second, silly me.

I kind of don't quite understand; I just posted the article notice in my original thread so I wouldn't have clone threads floating around.

And yes, the head cover...it's a lot more effective than the cover for, say, issue thirteen.
ImageImageImageImage

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

Oh goodness, that looks like a horrendous hybrid between Pulseman and Quick Man, and probably some X-Men character.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”