Universal Pictures To Produce Pluto Live-Action Film

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Bigdog
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bigdog » 12 years ago

"Androids101" wrote:[QUOTE=Alittleacorn;178710]Not me. I'm not looking forward to the live-action film cause er....>_> I don't like Pluto. The story in the manga is brillent, the art style just wasn't ever for me. Plus Atom seemed kind of cold at times o_o

So film? Bah humbug! :lol:

And also the fact that its anime and its...live action :lol: :eek: Wasn't there one ages ago that went horribly wrong? :confused: :lol:

Most of the story was great, but, myself into sci-fi, the idea of robots having wives and eating seems a bit too far out... :lol: :ninja: [/QUOTE]

IT was never adapted into an animated feature. Besides, it would deal far better as a live action film, specifically an American live action film. The characters and the entirety of the story and plot just BEG for an adaptation.

Make it PG-13 and pull all the stops on it . Will be hard to whitewash this film since it's lead Gesicht is white ( and a robot to boot) and is followed while Astro, known as Atom in this comic series, is on the sidelines and becomes the ultimate hero in it. With good people behind this , I can see this being a great film if executed well and treated like Batman Begins of Astro Boy.

If it were me directing, I'd make a prequel film covering Atom's origins and have Urasawa/Tezuka help me keep it to their visions after it.

SpaceCookie
Banned

Postby SpaceCookie » 12 years ago

"Androids101" wrote:Im not a fan of anime transferred into CGI...the problem with the Astro Boy movie.

Honestly..I think they'd come out a lot better if they chose to NOT do this in CGI OR live action. Yes...the Pluto Manga itself was pretty realistic looking but I don't think it would transfer over well. I think they ought to just do a fully animated film. It probably would just go straight to DVD..but at least then it would have the potential to be AWESOME and sell well. :/ I think trying to go for a theatre success is going to kill it. Especially if they do it the way they're talking about doing it.

:astro: - "I just wanna have ONE. GOOD. MOVIE. Is that so much to ask?!"

Bigdog
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bigdog » 12 years ago

"SpaceCookie" wrote:[QUOTE=Androids101;108173]Im not a fan of anime transferred into CGI...the problem with the Astro Boy movie.

Honestly..I think they'd come out a lot better if they chose to NOT do this in CGI OR live action. Yes...the Pluto Manga itself was pretty realistic looking but I don't think it would transfer over well. I think they ought to just do a fully animated film. It probably would just go straight to DVD..but at least then it would have the potential to be AWESOME and sell well. :/ I think trying to go for a theatre success is going to kill it. Especially if they do it the way they're talking about doing it.

:astro: - "I just wanna have ONE. GOOD. MOVIE. Is that so much to ask?!"[/QUOTE]

IT could or might not. We have only a few Japanese source material adaptations to go off of seriously. A mix of CG and Live Action is not necessarily a bad thing, look at Transformers and their effects. They get ILM to do the effects, just get the right person to conceive the robots into real life which shouldn't be hard ,make hints from Real Steel with Brando's fighting and voila! , hands down the film will be an effects extravaganza. Now to get the right actors , a decent adaptation of all eight volumes into a 2 hour film in writing as well as a good director who respects and knows what to do with his source material , we won't have anything to worry about.

The company doing this is also doing the Addams Family with Tim Burton, Emily the Strange, and a biopic of Dr.Seuss in development. If they are doing films as dark and diverse as those, the only thing we need to worry about is how Universal and Tezuka Pro. will handle it too. And with @009's failure, this will be controlled like LP's Godzilla is by Toho.

Rick
Metro City Citizen

When it comes now?

Postby Rick » 10 years ago

Now been 3 years since that was written here. I wanted the theme once again revive to ask: Are there any new information about the film.
Astro love the Earth and the Earth love Astro. :astro:

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 10 years ago

"Rick" wrote:Now been 3 years since that was written here. I wanted the theme once again revive to ask: Are there any new information about the film.

Just give it 5 more years. I'm sure that at some point, while we least expect it, we'll get some news... about the movie's cancellation. :d oh:
I'm on Twitter.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

You never know. Dragon Ball was made into a live action film YEARS after whispers of adapting it into live action came about. I remember being in middle school when the news came out that they were planning to adapt it, and it took something like 10 years to finally get around to do it.

toxicXheart
Metro City Citizen

Postby toxicXheart » 10 years ago

Aww man
[sigpic][/sigpic] :heart: :astro: :heart: :astro: :heart: :astro: :heart:

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

On a compeatly unrelated subject, Carl Sagon's book 'Contact' took years to come out as a movie after the first announcement of the plans were made.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

Hollywood (and I use that term as a generalization for the movie industry as a whole) is funny and complex, it can take them a loooong time to get stuff done. Hopefully if they ever get around to doing this it will be of great quality that Tezuka will be proud of, and not something like that awful Dragon Ball movie.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

I probably said this before, but I much prefer an anime series or OAV; I have several reasons, 1 is that you just cannot fit such a story into a 2 hour film.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”